Stepper Motors info/advice

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charley Davidson

I'm building a CNC Plasma table and collecting parts now. I just picked up 6 stepper motors (3 matching pairs 3 different sizes) for $5.00 at the scrap yard.
Need to know if the 2 larger ones are good for use on my table. I'm going back in a little while to pick up 2 more that are a little smaller than the big ones

These are the larger ones I got
http://www.moosetrading.com/sites/d...uct_full/26ceb5685acc2c82cf1779a8b404450c.jpg

What size (cutting dimensions) table? How heavy is your gantry? Are going with chains or screw drive? Any idea what your lateral resistance is? What software are you using? Stepper motors are normally one of the last parts you get so you can match to all the above questions.

Are you going with three axis control? I highly recommend you do. My first table was only two axis and the second one I built with three axis is MUCH nicer.

For $5.00 for 6 motors & $3.50 for 5 more I had to buy them now:D

My gantry will be all steel and fairly heavy, chain drive, 3rd axis with THC.
I'm gonna make provisions for some add ons later like a cylinder cutter and an engraver.

I can't go wrong with these motors as I have other projects in mind down the road and I have some people wanting them also.

I will buy some of my buddy's kit also just not sure what and how much.
http://www.trucutcnc.com/

So can you tell anything about these motors?

I think I'm gonna be building a new one soon. I want 5.5'x10.5' table size and a air bladder under the table to take the coolant out of the trough.

I'm considering I-beam for the gantry track and ACME rod for travel. Trying to plan out some logistical problems with the size of the pieces. I need to make sure the I-beam is completely flat but I can only machine 10'. Since I need 12' of beam, I'll have to do two pieces, but the need them perfectly aligned. Could take a little while to plan this out.

Good luck CD!!! Keep us posted.

CD,

Send me a PM on your steel list. I'm down in Memphis right now and come down this way quite often. I may be able to help you out.

From where????

I want some at that kind of price!

Scrap yard of course:D[cl

I have a couple ideas for useful things I can use the steppers for if they won't work on my plasma table
1. indexing head for my drill press
2. cnc controlled measuring fence stop for drilling accurate holes on my drill press or saw fence for cutting lots of parts out of 1 piece.

any more cool ideas?

Latest posts

Back