1948 dodge pilothouse carhauler

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice score. You are now officially certifiably crazy.

Now go out and rent a backhoe with a thumb on the bucket and have some dismantling fun. :D [ddd

Have ya'll ever seen the mess resulting from dismantling one of these with a "helper" like that??? Jeesh, I'm taking mine apart a little at a time even tho I have a loader. All the fasteners are kept up with so I don't flats on the vehicles moving around here and the trash from broken and chipped fiberglass gets raked and swept up and bagged and hauled out from here, most of the devices and wiring harness has already been removed that I plan on saving. There hasn't been a single piece of broken glass yet. One side of my property might look like a junk yard to some, but it's a clean junk yard...:D

Chassis harvest

We demo'd a big class A also. Found out very soon that the sawzall was best for keeping down the fiberglass and insulation mess. Windows came out intact, cut roof into manageable size pieces.

Surprise was the 3/4 plywood attached to the chassis as building platform. Major pain to remove.

Last edited:
We demo'd a big class A also. Found out very soon that the sawzall was best for keeping down the fiberglass and insulation mess. Windows came out intact, cut roof into manageable size pieces.

Surprise was the 3/4 plywood attached to the chassis as building platform. Major pain to remove.

Here too! Too bad they didn't put any quality from there on up once they got above the floor. Granted, the one I'm tearing up is over 30 years old but man, there just isn't much to them. A piece of thin walled square tubing every once in a while does not constitute much of a frame, and I think the toughest stuff in the walls is the styrofoam insulation. All of the tubing was placed with no finish so every bit of it is rusted out. What's really scary construction to me is that the entire side piece of fiberglass siding is held to the roof portion on both sides with one piece of "slide on groove" corner molding. Once you get the end screws out the only thing holding it together is the molding.

Sorry Skip! Didn't mean to squash your idea. That is the fast and fun way. I love tearing stuff up with a loader!

Sorry Skip! Didn't mean to squash your idea. That is the fast and fun way. I love tearing stuff up with a loader!
No apology needed, my friend. I was just having fun with it. I recently passed on a FREE monster MH with a 454/th400 because I didn't have the space (or the energy) to tear it apart. I did get to watch it drive away with the guys that did take it. It was in about as fine a shape as the one Skull got except for the tree falling on it part.

re-direction of energy

we have reached a stopping point on ''THAT'' for now so l am going to start dis-assembling the motorhome and hopefully get her down to the frame this next week.

l finally got help to achieve the take apart process on the car hauler project so l will get as much done in the near future as long as the help is here[cl

Later :cool:

brother skull posing pics

started dis-assembling today, got alot done, more removal of non-essential parts in the next few days.

Later :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_0686.jpg
    IMG_0686.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0688.jpg
    IMG_0688.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0695.jpg
    IMG_0695.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0698.jpg