Fancy Fenders

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA41

I NEED these fenders for the rear of my Dodge, but they are kinda spendy (for a tightwad.) Ebay for appx $750 shipped. I don't have much more than $1500 in the whole thing yet..

Does anyone have a source for something like this for less, or any ideas how to make something similar?? I'd rather have steel--even a little rough and rusty--suits the project better..

They are for an Auburn Speedster like the second pic--might add a little class to a rusted out 33 Dodge PU..

Thanks for any ideas.

PA41

Attachments

• !Bc2crUg!Wk~$(KGrHqQOKjIEq43mEwu)BK2TPGvZzQ~~_12.jpg
    !Bc2crUg!Wk~$(KGrHqQOKjIEq43mEwu)BK2TPGvZzQ~~_12.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 64
  • Pete's_866.jpg
    Pete's_866.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
First things I thought of was rear bike fenders - the super fat ones - and the back half of a bikes gas tank. Might get you a good base to work off.

Good leads fellas--thanks-- I snagged these pics from Ebay- VW & MC -Both are worth looking into in the real world. JY 'shoppin' material.

Maybe MC front and VW for rears...

Good ideas..

PA41

Attachments

• !Bj0q!zg!Wk~$(KGrHqUH-CMEs+0Op8pWBLU-Cu5Nf!~~_12.jpg
    !Bj0q!zg!Wk~$(KGrHqUH-CMEs+0Op8pWBLU-Cu5Nf!~~_12.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 38
  • !BjdTHYgB2k~$(KGrHqIH-DwEs97-5JNsBLToncJplg~~_35.jpg
    !BjdTHYgB2k~$(KGrHqIH-DwEs97-5JNsBLToncJplg~~_35.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 28
  • !Biv38mQB2k~$(KGrHqYOKkIEsn!E07-YBLQjKSSUZ!~~_35.jpg
    !Biv38mQB2k~$(KGrHqYOKkIEsn!E07-YBLQjKSSUZ!~~_35.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 31
  • !Bjhz)RQBGk~$(KGrHqUH-D0Es-YhG0HyBLT4-mViYg~~_35.jpg
    !Bjhz)RQBGk~$(KGrHqUH-D0Es-YhG0HyBLT4-mViYg~~_35.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 28
Thanks 51--I missed the obvious!! Speedway...Duhhh :) They got everything--.

I do have a lot of fiberglass 'fixins' from past cars.. --Makes me itch to think about it though -----

Thanks again--

PA41

Snagged a couple Vdub rear fenders from a local import repair shop.. $20--he sez he can get me after market ChiCom VW fenders for the 60s cars that didn't have the big tail light hole for $60 each.

Think I'll practise on these this weekend. They flair real big at the bottom rear, and are pretty skinny at the front bottom. The side profile is good..

I'm not sure what attack I'll take on them maybe trim each one to capture the side profile and weld in a middle widening strip that goes to the bed, or wide enough to attach the other side and have free standing full fender, and get acouple more?

This is the 'learnin' pair I guess.

Anyone done this? Any suggestions?

PA41

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 17
.... maybe trim each one to capture the side profile and weld in a middle widening strip....
PA41

Not sure I get this?

If I can describe this.... I would try setting them up like in the 2nd and 3rd pics, but wider in the front and closer in the rear. So the wheel wells are parallel to each other. Then add a pie shaped slice in between in the front and trim the backs to butt up to each other. Make sense?

Basically, widen the front and narrow up the back.

Not sure I get this?

If I can describe this.... I would try setting them up like in the 2nd and 3rd pics, but wider in the front and closer in the rear. So the wheel wells are parallel to each other. Then add a pie shaped slice in between in the front and trim the backs to butt up to each other. Make sense?

Basically, widen the front and narrow up the back.

Yeah--thats pretty much what I was getting at. Heres a couple pics I took when I got home. They are bigger than I expected--Maybe Superbeatle?? I will probably end up narrowing the rear-cutting a mid line through the big taillight holes. Probably shorten them a little on the back-big end. If they show promise, I will consider the $60 each, earlier models he offered to get me. Ya figger $240 for rear fenders isn't that much if they look good..

I like how this Deuse has fender extensions bolted on, might consider something like that. If all else fails--Maybe just use them on my old Kubota--:) ..

Thanks for the input.

PA41

Attachments

• fenders 033.jpg
    fenders 033.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 41
  • fenders 034.jpg
    fenders 034.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 1935_Duesenberg_SJMormonMeteorSpeedster2.jpg
    1935_Duesenberg_SJMormonMeteorSpeedster2.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 44
Got home before dark for once--and dug some stuff outta the snow--38ish Buick front fenders might have some possibilities if the V-Dubs don't work out, and the spare tire covers might make into front fenders of sorts.

PA41

Attachments

• fenders 012.jpg
    fenders 012.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 24
  • fenders 031.jpg
    fenders 031.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 25
  • fenders 028.jpg
    fenders 028.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 31
I think part of the problem with the VDub fenders (besides the wide wheel opening) is that they only swoop down in the back. Here's the Tucker Carioca concept car - some fenders to drool over.

Attachments

• tucker_w2.jpg
    tucker_w2.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 19
  • tucker_w3.jpg
    tucker_w3.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 19
Got distracted and kinda left my thoughts unfinished....

Anyway, I was thinking those VW fenders seem more like the fenders you first posted. Where they also swoop up from the bottom a little. They look great on your Kubota! :D And how much stuff DO you have buried in the snow!?! I see a 60's F100...

What kind of fender are you looking for? Like the ones you first posted or a earlier more simple design?

Those wheel covers might look real good - tilt 'em back a few inches so the rear is lower than the front.

I've wondered about them--Ya got any pix?

Thanks for the input..

PA41

Sorry, no pics, but most of them were for bikes with Full side skirts, but we did a roadster with H.D. front wide glide fenders that I added 8" to the center of it for the rear fenders. Made a set of 12" rear fenders using trailer fenders and added sheet metal to the sides to make it look similar to the Indian front fenders for the rear of a buddies P.U.

Thanks for the comments guys--'preciate input..

I grabed an Ebay pic of the Indian cycle fenders--good looking stuff--makes me want to work up the Buick spare covers for the front of the 33 Dodge. Streamliner thing going on. They are real similar to trailer fenders.. I'd need to split them and widen them out as they are real narrow. They do have sidecovers for them that would look real close to the Indian fenders.. Cool idea..

I just do whats easy or whatever comes my way. I try to snag junk cars when I can and store them in the woods behind the house, but its getting depleated. Scrap went up so high before the crash I couldn't pay much unless it was real special, and lots went to the crusher.. I've got 15-20 cars, but they've been picked over pretty bad.
PA41

Attachments

• 1264711186641_DSCN9511.jpg
    1264711186641_DSCN9511.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 8
  • !Bk1ZQj!Bmk~$(KGrHqMH-CUEtgsZPOlYBLZMykqdw!~~_12.jpg
    !Bk1ZQj!Bmk~$(KGrHqMH-CUEtgsZPOlYBLZMykqdw!~~_12.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Found where a guy was hammer forming these fenders over a buck of wood. I wonder if you could take a trailer fender and hammer the tail flip up like that?

PA41

Attachments

• 5-metal-shaping-fender.jpg
    5-metal-shaping-fender.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 19
Found where a guy was hammer forming these fenders over a buck of wood. I wonder if you could take a trailer fender and hammer the tail flip up like that?

PA41

Yep ! takes a little time to stretch the metal to flip up on a nice even curve without the material getting to thin.

Hey PA, here's a car that's sort of a speedster with fenders. It says it's a weird car design, but I like it.

Attachments

• weird-car-design-3.jpg
    weird-car-design-3.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 20

Latest posts

Back