Rustoleum plunge

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

studedude

Well,after weeks of debating and hearing about what paint to use from ppl and what paint not to use from ppl I just decided to paint mycar with Rustoleum.Now before everybody get they underwear in a wad there are several reasons for this.
1)Is the fact that I've never painted a car before and you can't beat a $30 paint job even if it don't last but a yr.
2)I hate doing body work and I knew I was gonna have a couple of spots that would need redoing.
3) This is gonna be a driveway job
4)This car is in worse shape than I thought it was when I bought it:( and now I think I'm gonna go rat rod[ddev
So as of right now I got the hood and the front end primered white.The color I'm using as a top coat is gonna be almond.

there is no probelm with a rattle can job, i have had 2 different vehicles that were rattle can paint jobs. if you think that you are going to be changing it up down the road since you are going to rat the car out, than more power to you. no reason to spend the money just to strip it and spend it all over again. stick with the rattle can until the car is done, then go for the big money paint job.

I'm still gonna being spraying it with a cheap HF gun that I got on sale for $14.99.So far so good too.I just wish they had more colors in the quart cans then they do.I'm guessing that I'll need about 2qts,hopefully.Only took 1/3 can(maybe not quite that much) to do the hood and front grill area.It sprays pretty good just strait outta the can.Of course it was 97 when I sprayed it too.

I painted my truck with a cheap HF HVLP gun. Still looks as good as when I painted it.

No primer, just single stage top coat with flattner added. The only prep work I did was to scrub it down with a scotchbright pad 3 or 4 times.

click the link in my signature for my whole build thread.

nothing wrong with rustoleum, should last well. I painted a 4X4 Blazer I had many years ago with flat exterior latex house paint in the driveway. I drove it several years summer and winter in the snow . Paint lasted great,and way better for stone chips then the expensive car paints will ever be.

ratdog nothing wrong with rustoleum, should last well. I painted a 4X4 Blazer I had many years ago with flat exterior latex house paint in the driveway. I drove it several years summer and winter in the snow . Paint lasted great,and way better for stone chips then the expensive car paints will ever be.

Thats what I've been hearing from ppl that have used it.I just can't justify painting a $500 car with the paint that cost more than the car.I did opt to spend $8 bucks on primer though.It'll be awhile before I get it all painted.I'm just priming one peice of the car at a time right now.Gonna work on one of the fenders in the mourning.Like I figured I've got some spots that I've gotta rework where I thought I had the body work done good enough.Glad I went this route cause if I had went with a high dollar paint I'd be poed at myself.I got alot of bodywork to do.

Don't use Rustoleum. Spend $1000 for paint, haul it on a trailer, and get a 'Don't Touch" sign. :p

I used a HF gun too. No problems except I'm left handed and my thumb kept moving the knobs.

??????

nothing wrong with rustoleum, should last well. I painted a 4X4 Blazer I had many years ago with flat exterior latex house paint in the driveway. I drove it several years summer and winter in the snow . Paint lasted great,and way better for stone chips then the expensive car paints will ever be.

Did you brush it on, or roll it? I am semi-serious when I ask this.:eek:

Did my whole truck in Rustoleum, gloss black on the frame, semi-gloss on the body with 25% flat added and I mixed a couple browns together to get the interior shade, I also used their grey primer on everything.
30 years ago, I painted the frame black on my 55 Chev, it's been sitting in the bush for the last 20, most of the paint is still on it and I didn't even clean it that well, painted over grease and rust, I'd say that is tough paint.
One thing about the flat black is that it will likely weather faster since the surface is pourous, much like most primers, and it marks easily and shows sweaty paw prints, so the semi gloss is way better.

Attachments

• june 16 10 rat 55 027 b.jpg
    june 16 10 rat 55 027 b.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 166
  • june 16 10 rat 55 038 a.jpg
    june 16 10 rat 55 038 a.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 144
  • june 16 10 rat 55 011 a.jpg
    june 16 10 rat 55 011 a.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 136
Did you brush it on, or roll it? I am semi-serious when I ask this.:eek:

I sprayed it with a rented turbine spray system.It was a camo paint job and actually looked pretty nice, that truck got more coments and attention then the fancy shiny and chrome stepside fourby I had for a while. See I was already ratrodding way back in the late 80's !!:)

A couple of "dailies" ago, I had a rusty '92 Olds Ciera wagon. NOTHING in this world looks worse than a white car with rust spots!!:( I fixed a couple of holes and deep surface rust pits and rattle bombed both sides and the liftgate with plain white Tremclad rust paint (Canadian version of Rustoleum, even made by the same company).

The only thing I'd do different next time is I would use a gun to spray it. Using rattle cans I had over $150 into it and I never got around to painting the roof and hood. Laying down the last couple of coats quite wet (almost to the point of runs) helped the paint flow out really well. People wouldn't believe me when I told 'em it was spray bomb, told me I was full of s#!t.

When I FINALLY get my S-10's body repairs done, I'm gonna truck on over to TSC and grab their primer, reducer and implement enamel in Massey Ferguson red-CHEAPER than Tremclad red, BTW. It will be sprayed on with an inexpensive Princess Auto gun (CDN version of Harbour Freight).

Show us pics as you get along! I'd love to see 'em![P:cool:

Regards,
Shea:)

I've painted over 15 cars with rustoleom.Works great for me. I mix with acetone (3/4 paint 1/4 acetone) with good results. Usually takes about a gallon of paint for good coverage. I've found semi-gloss or satin black gave the look I was after most times. I've also used other colors and mixed up colors for other projects. People bust my balls for using rustoleom, but are usually amazed with the paint jobs I turn out. Give it a try...;)

I have no problems with a guy spraying his car with Rustoleum or anything else, but I have a question. Are you guys talking about Rustoleum primer or is there a Rustoleum paint? Reason I ask is, everything I have painted with Rustoleum primer over the years never really seemed to dry hard, is sort of stayed soft somewhat. So, are we talking about a different product or does the acetone make it thin enough to dry hard?

Also, I have used a bunch of HF guns and like the gravity feed ones a lot. They go on sale at $ 10 to $ 15 and work well. I also don't mind tossing one if I am too tired at night after spraying to clean out out.

Don

I have no problems with a guy spraying his car with Rustoleum or anything else, but I have a question. Are you guys talking about Rustoleum primer or is there a Rustoleum paint?

Don,
BigIrish turned me on to Rusoleum Camouflage paint in a can. It comes in black, dark green & dark brown. It does not tiger stripe & looks like you sprayed it with a gun. After I saw the Irish's car I painted my truck, frame & all with it & it works & looks great great! I can't find it in small stores but Home Depot has it!

BoB

I use regular rustoleom paint, not thier primer. The acetone makes it paint nice out of the gun and makes drying time less I've found. I get my paint at Lowes or HomeDepot usually. I use dollar general spray can primer if needed for bodywork spots. Only a dollar a can usually.

Rustoleum comes in quarts and gallons,there is a semi gloss auto black spray can, and they have a huge industrial line thats sold at most industrial supply stores,US and Canada. The stainless steel color industrial line looks really nice.

Latest posts

Back