Tail light recommendations

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigIrish

Kind of struggling with what kind of tail lights to put on the back of this thing. I think the rear is too wide to hang lights on the outside of the body, so need something that would look nice on/in the rear panel. It want it to look simple and racerish, not something that looks like it belongs on a kustom (no 59 caddy lights, ford teardrop lights etc).

Any ideas?

Attachments

• speedster rear.jpg
    speedster rear.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 78
What about model a tail lights ???

I mocked some of those up, but I think they stick out too far.

I got my 50 Pontiac lights in, but they are quite a bit bigger than I thought they would be. Struggling with the arrangement. Here are some options, just duck taped them up.

Which is the best?? I'm leaning towards a single light, but then I would need some additional smaller lights for turn signals.

Also going to have a racing number on the back

Attachments

• CIMG3584.jpg
    CIMG3584.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 72
  • CIMG3585.jpg
    CIMG3585.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 54
  • CIMG3587.jpg
    CIMG3587.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 51
  • CIMG3588.jpg
    CIMG3588.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 55
How do I know if they are dual pole, and what does that mean exactly? I really don't understand how the same bulb can function as a brake and turn signal. Maybe when I get my rebel wire kit and instructions I'll understand it.

They take a dual-filament bulb and the wiring guide says one wire is for stop/turn, other for parking light.

Missed this thread.... darn. I woulda suggested light housings from an old boat.

Anyhow, single brake/signal is all in how the turn signal switch is set up.

Dual pole - Two contacts in the bottom of the socket for a dual filament bulb.

Photo #1 also.

Single pole-one contact point on the bulb. Used for stop and tail lights, single filament #1156.
Double pole, two contact points on bulb, 2 filaments for turn signal, stop lights and tail lights, # 1157.

Well I'm just not happy with the '50 lights so I'm going another route. These are similar but much smaller. Breaking my own "no LED lights on old cars" rule, but they look vintage enough. Less than 2" in diameter. I'll have 2 brake and 1 amber turn light on each side, arranged vertically.

I want it to look like some of the old road race cars that had tiny lights, as if they were only put there to satisfy some official or rule.

Attachments

• LED.jpg
    LED.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 11
just for kicks you might check out some of what is available for aftermarket motorcycles, like vtwin or dennis kirk or jp cycles. if nothing else some sleek turn signals:)

I like a single stoplight in the middle with the stop script on it for the old time look. It becomes the focal point and the tail light/turn signals are less critical.

Yeah, I like the single light as well. Maybe one '50 light in the middle like #4 and the small lights in the lower corners for turn signals.

I will experiment whenever these other lights come in. Hurry up UPS!!

I think you nailed it with the first pic. They are properly spaced and well proportioned IMO. The other lights might be a little different in person, but they seem a little "truck stop" to me, and don't fit your build. Then again, I share your "non-LED" sentiment as well. :)

Latest posts

Back