Satin black body paint, spray or roll?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lvin4jc

Looking at probably going with Rustoleum 7777, in researching it on this site it looks like a lot of you guys have done some rolling on in the past. Any advice on what knap to use or is there a special roller or? I'd really appreciate learning from your experience instead of wasting my money on a bad idea, lol. Also pictures are welcome!

- Joe -

merc90.jpg

rolled with rustoleum satin black -- all i did was mix it with some mineral spirits to thin it out to a consistency i was happy with.

Roll your bathroom, SPRAY your car.

if youve got the sprayer why not spray your bathroom too?
answer - because the overspray will get on stuff thats nearby and
isnt covered up --

will it make a more even coat of paint -- yes - if you have the sprayer, if your blocked off from wind, and if you
have the right mixture ratio and good conditions for drying

more than likely ill paint again with a roller -- its just easy... and dont care if its absolutely perfect even on my daily drivers lol -- easier and cheaper than a spray can and less hassle than using the paintgun to me...

I think Streetrods or someone did a a tech artical on it. you just thin it out alot. slop it on there. and then sand it down a ton. I think I`d just spray can it and hit it with a scotchbright or fine sand paper to blend it good. spray seems easier.

So when yo uguys say spray, are you makng a big distinction between actual spray guns hooked up to a compressor or a rattle can? Does it make much difference?

Thanks, I appreciate the help!

if youve got the sprayer why not spray your bathroom too?
answer - because the overspray will get on stuff thats nearby and
isnt covered up --

will it make a more even coat of paint -- yes - if you have the sprayer, if your blocked off from wind, and if you
have the right mixture ratio and good conditions for drying

more than likely ill paint again with a roller -- its just easy... and dont care if its absolutely perfect even on my daily drivers lol -- easier and cheaper than a spray can and less hassle than using the paintgun to me...

So what roller did you use, touch up with a foam brush? A full sized one or a mini-roller and i'm assuming you want the thinnest knap you can get?

The car looks great btw!

Looking at probably going with Rustoleum 7777, in researching it on this site it looks like a lot of you guys have done some rolling on in the past. Any advice on what knap to use or is there a special roller or? I'd really appreciate learning from your experience instead of wasting my money on a bad idea, lol. Also pictures are welcome!

- Joe -

From what I have read, you need a short nap roller to paint thin paint like rustoleum.I plan to roll my truck this spring mostly because it was free and I cant see to spending money on a spray gun to do 1 paint job.I want people to look at it and say_ why? so I can say -why not? Now thats just me and I have been told that I am a bit of an oddball.[P[;):cool:

So when yo uguys say spray, are you makng a big distinction between actual spray guns hooked up to a compressor or a rattle can? Does it make much difference?

Thanks, I appreciate the help!

I guess, it boils down to this. If you want a lasting paint jo use a gun hooked to a compressor. Rolling paint may look killer for a while, but it will not last . The problem I see with spray cans is that the cost is actually more. And the paint quality is not good either. Buy a cheap gun,borrow a compressor, and go at it. Save the roller to paint your house.

I guess, it boils down to this. If you want a lasting paint jo use a gun hooked to a compressor. Rolling paint may look killer for a while, but it will not last . The problem I see with spray cans is that the cost is actually more. And the paint quality is not good either. Buy a cheap gun,borrow a compressor, and go at it. Save the roller to paint your house.

Agreed with all of this. You can buy a cheapie HVLP gun from HF and get pretty good results if you take your time. Much better than a roller or rattle cans and cheaper! Overspray with the HVLP is minimal. Just tape off everything on the car that you can't remove and don't paint on a really windy day. The right mixture ratio is easy enough, as long as you can read. No need for laziness, which is what it boils down to. If something nearby might get overspray on it, then cover it up! Not that hard...

whoa dont get me wrong -- spraying it will definitely do a better
job, especially if time is taken to do it all right -- all i was saying
is a roller does just fine if thats how you want to do it... dunno about
how long it will last only that it lasts fine for about 2 years so far
although i wouldnt
think it would be a considerable difference -- both the paint etc are
the same, the only difference is application -- now a spray can, yeea
it wont last as long -- but like i said - i dont know -- seems to hold up
just fine ---

I have a cheap gravity feed that i got off ebay for 15-30 bucks dont remember for sure. I use it for a primer gun and my campbell hausfeild for my actual paint. all cheap guns and they work fin for me. when I can find a compressor. a thinned out quart will go a long ways for 9.00 where two cans at 4.00 dont get you too far. just my thoughts. I`d go gun or can before I rolled.

whoa dont get me wrong -- spraying it will definitely do a better
job, especially if time is taken to do it all right -- all i was saying
is a roller does just fine if thats how you want to do it... dunno about
how long it will last only that it lasts fine for about 2 years so far
although i wouldnt
think it would be a considerable difference -- both the paint etc are
the same, the only difference is application -- now a spray can, yeea
it wont last as long -- but like i said - i dont know -- seems to hold up
just fine ---

Yeah, I'm not real sure what kind of rod is being built, but I'm sure that should go into the equation when considering spray bomb , roller, or HVLP. I have seen some of all types of paint jobs that looked good. But, I was mainly speaking about cost and quality. Hell, I rattle canned the hood on my 48 F1. haha

Ok, so i'm not totally sure why the roll job wouldn't last as long as the spray job, wouldn't the rolled paint be much thickr and therefore last longer? No?

As far as the ride, it's my '51 F1 and I think the satin black is the perfect piant for it because I want to be ratty but the truck is all different colors now and would look weird with it's current, um patina. Plus I just like the classic 50's style the paint would give it. I'm wanting to cap it off with the typical red steel wheels with chrome caps and fat white walls and then have long cherry bombs made to be used as visible side pipes tucked just under the running boards that are the full length of the running boards. So then the interior and other details, possibly the engine would be that cherry bomb red color and probably in semi or full gloss, whichever matched the original cherry bomb paint the best.

Anyway, attached is the best example of the paint i'm after so far:

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 30
spraying would turn out nice because you can control the texture of the paint alot more, spraying or rolling the material doesnt effect on how long it last, if the paint doesnt have any UV screeners then it will fade over the years and break down the paint.

I was in a camp ground in northern Mi. painting my old tour bus, a 71 GMC 4905 with a roller, some guy walks up and says "I can't believe your painting that with a roller" My reply "You paint your house with a roller don't you?"

I washed it with soe kinda cleaner they recommended the rolled on the HD orange, it looked good & lasted a long time.

I wish I had the devils advocate's money, I'd still do things the same way, I'd just do more of it.[ddd

Equipment rental stores around here rent HVLP turbine outfits, used to be like fourty bucks for the day. Use that ,its easy to use. Also for the easiest paint I have used latex house paint, dries fast ,no worries about overspray and its plenty durable. Had it on a winter driven 4X4 and lasted well. Doesnt sound like your building a show car so dont waste time on a bunch of useless techniques, this is cheap and it works.

Latest posts

Back