Threading copper tube?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If everyone can wait till the weekend, I will build a mock-up over the weekend. I just happen to have come leftover mandrel bent tube and the copper....ruggs
I would LOVE to see a version of this.

I used some copper pipe where the rod actually threaded into it by slightly flaring the pipe and I turned it.

Ooooo there's a thought!!!

I think I like that best. Maybe even a dab of epoxy in the nut once the copper is threaded will secure it real well. Just have to be careful on the opposite end not to "strip" the copper.

found this on the welding tips and tricks site...

Here are basic tips for silver brazing copper to steel, or stainless steel;

* clean and flux the area to be silver brazed

* use a tip that produces a flame that is hot enough to heat the area without taking all day...but not so hot that it is hard to control

* make sure to use a tip that allows for a soft flame that is big enough to wrap around the joint.

* use the right flux for the job. There are manufacturers charts that match silver brazing filler metals with the right flux.

* keep the torch moving to avoid hot spots and direct the heat to the areas the need it most...for example thicker members or copper members that conduct more heat.

Not sure if it will help.....

A small bed of epoxy under the flare is all you'll need. Just make sure everything is clean and scuff it well. If you want the other end (lower end) to be secure use a cotter pin and a wavy (spring) washer.

Cool idea, love the green patina of aged copper, plus if you overheat it a bit it changes to some cool colors. i was thinking of building a grille insert out of copper for the frame the same general way you did and soldering capillary tubing for the grille bars. keep me up to date id love to see the outcome.

Here is a couple quick drawings of my thinking:

jmlcolorado,
Been working on a prototype of your grille design. The CLR of 2 1/2 Exhaust tube seems to be a little large for what you drawings show. I dropped down to 1 1/2, I'll try to find the time to post a picture tonight.
In drawing #2 what was your intended measurement from the top of the grille to the bottom (measured on centerline)? It appears that the V section is half of the 23" straight sides....ruggs

jmlcolorado,
Been working on a prototype of your grille design. The CLR of 2 1/2 Exhaust tube seems to be a little large for what you drawings show. I dropped down to 1 1/2, I'll try to find the time to post a picture tonight.
In drawing #2 what was your intended measurement from the top of the grille to the bottom (measured on centerline)? It appears that the V section is half of the 23" straight sides....ruggs

Guess the fancy bold wodrding when someone replays to my subscribed threads stopped working.
I picked up a grill, and did my taxs :) so I'll be able to work o. This within the next few weeks.
The 23" measurement is just the parrelle sides, and I'm guessing, since the height is 23" and the width is 23", the diagonal section will add another 11.5" to the total height making it 34.5" total height.

How did your look with 1 1/2" tubing? Did you successfully attach the copper?

Latest posts

Back