Truck Cab / Body mounts

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirtyrat

Got Fins?
I had not seen a thread on truck cab/car body mounts after searching the forum, perhaps I am just missing it.

I'm thinking about how I am going to mount the cab to the frame, and the steel portion is not an issue, I have some pieces, but what are some of you using for isolators/rubber mounts?

I am using the ones from my donar Toyota. But I saw a guy once on the net who used a plastic cup as as a form using dupont flowable rubber that he got through granger.
Side note the front body mounts on either side of the radiator are generally smaller and will fit more places.

Hockey pucks work great and look nice. Pick them up for a buck or two at your local sporting goods store. If you need something thinner that works good as well use pieces of a big truck mudflap. It is fiber-reinforced and very strong.

I noticed that my 50' F1 is mounted solid (on a s10 frame). Is this something I need to be concerned about?

Not a major concern, but it would be a lot quieter and smoother on rubber mounts. Also when mounted solid the mount areas tend to crack out over time. Something to keep an eye on...

I cut up an old tire once for bed mounts just remembered note drill the holes first it is a pain to drill holes in small pieces of rubber

Another tip - If you need to drill holes in rubber, put it in the freezer overnight. It makes it much easier to drill and leaves a lot cleaner hole when finished...

I did a little research as well, looks like there are quite a few companies that make Jeep CJ body mount replacement kits that are Urethane... I just didn't want to solid mount the body. Hockey pucks would probably work, just a bit high on the old durometer for any kind of dampening, etc...

project_1_pic_3.jpg

There is a company that makes urethane stock... just like steel, just in urethane... I bought a 1/2" x2" bar of it (about 2' long), to make mine out of... it's not real cheap, but it sure is nice. I think mine was $30 shipped. They sell on ebay, but I can't remember the name...

Rubbers

Hey DIrtyRat. I am using flathead motor mount rubber. They are still available and very inexpensive.....under 5 bucks. And they are neopreme.

I am mounting a 1955 Ford C600 COE on a 1987 E150 chassis.

Lynn

Hey DIrtyRat. I am using flathead motor mount rubber. They are still available and very inexpensive.....under 5 bucks. And they are neopreme.

Lynn

Perhaps I'll pick some of these up!

Thanks for the info, either these or the CJ mounts I think...

source for flathead motor mounts?

Lynn

What's a good source for these? for that price?
thanks.

Source

Meteorman,
I used to work for a regional parts company named Federated. That's where I got these. Probably not one in your area but NAPA, O'Riellys, or Advance should be able to get them. I got "ex-employee price". The flathead mount bushing (#2048) was 3 bucks and change. Counter price shouldn't be much more than that.

The other biscuit (#2306) is a suspension or motor mount bushing for something but I don't know what....sorry. I picked it by size. It is a little bigger. It cost a little more. I think the pair was under 10 bucks.

#2048 is 2 1/8" X 1".
#2306 is 2 3/4" X 1 1/8".

Lynn

Attachments

• IMG_0292.jpg
    IMG_0292.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0295.jpg
    IMG_0295.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0293.jpg
    IMG_0293.jpg