'29 Chevy RPU from junk

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cut up a third door and started to make quarter panels. I'm a little perplexed with how to fill the 2 1/2" gap under the doors. Originally I think there was a big wooden plank under there.

Attachments

• Quarter 001.jpg
    Quarter 001.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 90
  • Quarter 002.jpg
    Quarter 002.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 86
If you hadn't already cut the back 1/4 panel, ( you could always put it back of course) I would have suggested to leave it long to match the height of the cowel...and make yourself some rockers... the rockers on my 36 were attached to a steel frame but i think on the previous years were screwed to wood...

With the Bantum, dragster & roadster projects it is going to be an all out building winter and spring.

Looking forward to lots of pictures.[cl[P

Better make sure that shop heater is in good shape.

Corpo, I made sub rails out of 2" by 3" .083 rectangular tubing. Got a little sculpting to do on the front part by the door hinge.
old28, I work best under pressure. haha. The dragster & Bantam will be done on time. This project has no timeline. Maybe next summer. Gonna take January off and go to Florida.

Here's the body with sub rails in place. the quarter is just clamped in place and needs some more attention.

Attachments

• sub frame 002.jpg
    sub frame 002.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 94
Here's how the back panel fits. Kinda plain and square. Might have to come up with something "decorative" to it. There will be either an accessory trunk or an oval gas tank back there.

Attachments

• Back Panel 001.jpg
    Back Panel 001.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 106
  • Back Panel 002.jpg
    Back Panel 002.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 92
clean work! I have been dreading doing the sheet repairs to my rusty floor, would you take a contract job based on a sandwich and beer payment system?

Here's a pic of the 1937 Plymouth "wavy axle" with brakes I bought for $100 from French Lake Auto Parts.
Also, here's the frame I'm using. It's just the front half. A $20 swap meet item. Oops, it's upside down That's okay cuz this car will be an underslung. The "wavy axle" doesn't have much drop and it will have fairly tall 16" steelies so the frame should be about 5" above Mother Earth.

Attachments

• frame front 001.jpg
    frame front 001.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 70
  • frame front 002.jpg
    frame front 002.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 75
Shaping up... like a taller version of your REO.

You said you're stealing the six from your dragster. Are you revamping the dragster, or retiring it?

The slant 6 was in the dragster for only two runs. Then I built the 300 Ford 6 for it. So the slant 6 has about 2 miles on it counting the return road at the drag strip. The dragster is completely disassembled. I painted the frame and had the rear narrowed. I'll put it back together, with improvements, in the spring. Have to order billet axles from Dutchman And a loose converter from Freak Show. Gotta get the Powerglide rebuilt since I exploded it at the Meltdown Fall Out. It'll get aluminum five slots on the rear too.

I sold the Reo too soon. I wasn't done with it. Some of the changes I would have made to it were pretty extensive. I'll try to incorporate those into this build. One of the purposes of this build is to use up parts that have been laying around. Plus I don't have an open car and I miss it. You're right, Dr C., this build is really The Reo without a top. And a couple other things I want to try.

Got the underslung front suspension mocked up. Looks like it will work. Oops. How did Gracie the 5 pound attack Poodle sneak in there?

Attachments

• front axle okay 003.jpg
    front axle okay 003.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 87
  • front axle okay 005.jpg
    front axle okay 005.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 80
  • front axle okay 001.jpg
    front axle okay 001.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 69
  • front axle okay 006.jpg
    front axle okay 006.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 78
The Leaning Tower of Power is in place. Pretty close anyway. With the frame riding low the old slant 6 has to be mounted 3" higher to avoid the oil pan scraping on speed bumps.

Attachments

• Bullet In 006.jpg
    Bullet In 006.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 82
  • Bullet In 007.jpg
    Bullet In 007.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 85
Yes, Bruno, she's a real ankle biter. In the short time available today I made some frame mounts for the motor mounts to attach to. Then I slid the pieces together to get a sense of what this thing is going to look like.

Attachments

• Mock Up 1 001.jpg
    Mock Up 1 001.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 84
  • Mock Up 1 002.jpg
    Mock Up 1 002.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 84
  • Mock Up 1 004.jpg
    Mock Up 1 004.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 90

Latest posts

Back