1951 chevy coupe, is it worth it??

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camo King

Hey all!
I've been gone off here a while, been buying up projects and trying to get some finished.

I've got a question for you all. What do you guys think a 1951 chevy fleetline deluxe coupe would be worth? It ran a year ago from a can of gasoline. Not sure when it was last driven. Floorboards in front are pretty rotted, passenger door bottom is sort of rough(third picture), trunk is bad in middle. But the body is very solid otherwise and isn't really rusty. It's a 235 inline with power glide trans. He's looking to trade for a late model mercedes I have. I'm just trying to figure out what kind of money this car is worth. I haven't been into 50s cars yet, mostly 60s trucks.

What do you think?

Attachments

• 2017-03-04 01.29.34.jpg
    2017-03-04 01.29.34.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 94
  • 2017-03-04 01.27.54.jpg
    2017-03-04 01.27.54.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 78
  • 2017-03-04 01.28.54.jpg
    2017-03-04 01.28.54.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 66
I have a 53 chevy 210 in bought back in september. No rockers, rat eaten interior and quite a bit of body rust. It had been sitting for 7 years in the grass and the guy wouldnt come off of $2500. Was it worth it? Probably not, but it was what i wanted and he traded me even for my truck. People like to say, "it books for this" or "they're worth this much restored" my opinion, if you have the cash, really want the car, and its the only one around, what does it really matter what its worth to everyone else? Is it worth what hes asking to you?

It's not a 2016 lol its a 2000 c230. Their low end model really. Nice car with all the gadgets, but still an indiana car with some rust starting to show. Runs good, books for around $2400

ill give you $50 bucks but only if you keep the wheels....[ddd :D

a creature like that needs lots tlc,, if you want it, buy it -- keep the merc for the running gear instead of swapping it -- better value for money !

theres plenty of new panels for these old girls,, part out a sedan with good floor panels or fab them..

firstly decide whether or not you can be bothered with a project that big.. have a look at craigslist or whatever else the same and see what current market values are .. ..

just thinking ,,
my offer still stands
crate

Well here's my 2 cents.
That body style is the one that everyone likes. The 2 door fast back. Depending how you want to go they are a fairly easy drive train swap.
The 235 in it isn't bad but the cast iron PG is an anchor so if you kept the 6 you might want to think about another trans which would entail a rear end swap as that one has a torque tube.
Be sure to check the frame over well for rusted out areas.
I would swap that for the Benz. But hey that's me and my wife drives one.[ddd
With a good title in my neck of the woods that would be a $2500 car all day. Check out the prices on one of those visors.
Torchie
p.s. I can remember when cars like that sold for around $200.:D

Traded the benz and a jeep tub I had and got the 51. Hooked up a battery and she started up! Need to get brakes and fuel system rebuilt and then figure the wiring out. But it's not looking like a bad deal!
Anybody know how the 6 volt hooks up on these? It's cranking very slow.

Should be a negative ground set up. Unlike the Fords of the same period.
Check all your grounds to make sure they are clean. And make sure that your battery is still good. 6 volts systems use a heavier gauge of cables and wires. Also you may want to pull the starter and have it tested for draw as well as making sure it is not all gunked up
Even new they don't crank as fast as a 12 volt system but if maintained they will work just fine.
Glad to see you got it.
Torchie

I got the ground fixed, I'll have to pull the starter and get it tested and cleaned up.
That benz was a 2000 and it was their lowest model. This chevy is so simple to work on! The chevy has soul, the benz just had brand creds. Lol

My 53 chevy is still 6 volt. New cables and brass terminals with a new battery charged to 100 percent cranks over good but nothing like a 12 volt cranks. With a good tune up it should start fairly quickly with having to turn over too much.

Latest posts

Back