My new project

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Havent got much done lately other than start her up and listen to the 235 c.i sewing machine. More people die when it turns cold which means more overtime. Very morbid, people dying to get a paycheck, but we make sure everyone is well taken care of. I did temporarily mount my gas tank behind the passenger seat and going to attempt to remove the master cylinder tomorrow if its not too late when i get home. Bad back and a cardboard creeper after working 10 hrs out in the weather kinda slows progress.

Been spraying castrol super clean under her all morning. Giong up to the shop to borrow the power washer. I hope the 18hp honda can knockoff the 63 year old gunk. Should lighten the front end up a couple hundred pounds. Gonna save all the grease and grime.

Power washing done. Now got to let everything dry out before she will start. No garage yet so everything has to be done in the driveway. Got dark and started raining. Might dry by spring.

Oil filter

Had the 53 running yesterday and, dont know why i did it but, put my hand on the oil canister. Half way up was hot, the bottom was cold. I take it the return line is gummed up. If i ever get some time off work I'll take it apart and see what's going on. Im not going to drive it everyday and its probably been clogged for years, can i just plug the block holes and run without a filter? I know I'll have to change the oil more often. If i dont get it flowing, dont know why i couldnt but, should i run a non detergent oil without a filter? Im just afraid the oil passage might be clogged.

Had the 53 running yesterday and, dont know why i did it but, put my hand on the oil canister. Half way up was hot, the bottom was cold. I take it the return line is gummed up. If i ever get some time off work I'll take it apart and see what's going on. Im not going to drive it everyday and its probably been clogged for years, can i just plug the block holes and run without a filter? I know I'll have to change the oil more often. If i dont get it flowing, dont know why i couldnt but, should i run a non detergent oil without a filter? Im just afraid the oil passage might be clogged.

Did it run quaker sate oil all of its life? If yes, the motor needs to be taken apart to scrape the sludge out of it. I took a 1957 VW motor apart once had crap 2 inches thick in the bottom of the case except where the crank had a path beaten out. ...nasty stuff.

Been working so much i can't get anything done at home. Today i wanted to see how much dirt was collected in the oil canister. Wow! I was going to do away with it until i seen all the gunk it caught since i changed the filter and oil. So i decided to take it off, clean it up and paint it. I had a little super clean, and didnt want to go anywhere, so i poured what i had in a metal pot, filled the rest with water, and put it on the kitchen stove to boil. Surprisingly the wife let me, love her to death. I wish i took a before pic but tomorrow i'll post a pic of how it cleaned. Can't smell the super clean at all. I used to do this with carburetors years ago but the gas smell, even in water, is really strong for indoors.

I think i have finished my interior.

Attachments

• 20170102_143110.jpg
    20170102_143110.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 20170102_143151.jpg
    20170102_143151.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 46
Got my master cylinder rebuild kit today. Going to put her together tomorrow. I had a thought on the way home from work on a bench bleeding idea. I will post pics tomorrow on my idea to see if anyone has already done it.

Master cylinder kit came in and have to take it back tomorrow. Kit came with 1 inch bore stuff and mine is 7/8. I have to order the kit from chevys of the 40s. I hate o'reilys!

Got home from work today and put the new master cylinder on. Got the clutch pedal mounted on it but it got dark and so cold i couldnt feel my fingers anymore. Weather permitting, I'll get to take her down the road by sunday, if by chance i get the weekend off.

I can throw the plans on a $2000 budget out the window. Plan was to get her road worthy and drive, isn't happening. Radiused the wheel wells and was finishing up the cut and decided to cut out a little rust. A little rust turned into a lot of rust, which led to more cutting, then ideas, then more cutting, a couple more ideas, a little more cutting, then low and behold, i ain't got no trunk. Im really happy i did it, felt like a weight was removed from my shoulders. Im going to fabricate everything, no store bought panels, with 16 and 18g steel. It got dark and couldn't take any pics today but I'll have some this week. Im gonna use some pretty heavy steel for brackets, i figure with no rear seat, gas tank behind passenger seat, no trunk mat or spare tire in the trunk, i can make up the weight loss in all that stuff in extra steel. Ive got some rear frame spots that need repaired but i have perfect access now. Ive seen some gassers with steel pipe rear bumpers but i dont like it. I want a taller, bigger rear bumper that i can mold into the car. Any ideas?

Isn't that always the way it goes, Oh i'll just take a little here and you end up into it way further than expected [;) good thing is you will have peace of mind when it's all done.[P[P

Heres a few pics. There will definitely be peace of mind,

Attachments

• 20170312_103204.jpg
    20170312_103204.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 20170312_103145.jpg
    20170312_103145.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 20170312_103115.jpg
    20170312_103115.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 55
Just a suggestion:
I'd move the fuel tank to the trunk, and put a firewall where the rear seat back was. Just too dangerous to have it in the same area as you are, if it were to catch fire, you'd be a crispy critter before you could get out. :eek: Probably illegal to have it where it is, too.[S
Firewall could be steel or aluminum sheet, but I'd seal it off from the trunk area so no fumes or flames could get into the passenger compartment.

Just my two cents, trying to possibly save your butt in case of a fire.....

I am going to move the tank to the rear. I got a piece of 18g diamond plate for the firewall. I'll be running fiberglass race seats, putting in gas would be impossible, plus my son or daughter may be with me. The scrap yard new steel sales are pretty cheap. Im really considering even fabricating a roll cage inside. It wont ever be a race car or track inspected, it will stiffen everything up and look really cool. I love the inline 6 but it wont last forever. There is a 283 on craigslist right now for $350 that is screaming for me to buy it. I'll run the 6 for a couple years then V8 her. The body will be ready for it.

These are my kind of builds, my friends don't understand me either it's like people can't see past shiny paint....I tell them all the time "who are you trying to impress" "Are you going to cruise the High School parking lot at lunch" :D

I started on the roll cage saturday in the trunk. I will have pictures at the end of the week. I have the car at work in the garage but i dont get off till 5, and the wife wants me home for dinner at 7. By time i drag out the tools, it feels like its time to put them back. Ran out of argon today so played with the stick welder for the heavier steel. I am no pro welder by any means so my welds are not that pretty, but they pass the 8 lb sledge test. My stick welds look alot better than the mig welds. I just feel more comfortable with the old lincoln arc.

Worked hard today. Changed the last of the wheel studs, replaced the fuel line, radiused the passenger side, drilled the drum to fit the 1/2 inch studs and welded a little more on the roll cage. I am tired.

Attachments

• 20170401_184851.jpg
    20170401_184851.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 20170401_184837.jpg
    20170401_184837.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 20170401_184930.jpg
    20170401_184930.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 20170326_114150.jpg
    20170326_114150.jpg