Molly's Jungle Jeep

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anybody have a stock wiring harness for a 2006 5.3 that they don't need? We also need the drive by wire gas pedal and module.

I went back for the DBW pedal after work. Next time I am going to make sure I get it all from the donor truck. I feel really lucky finding a LS powered truck in pull a part.

Careful. The 04 motor was slightly different than the 06. The 04 is a 24x crank wheel and the 06 is a 58x wheel. There are other slight variations as well. Check that the PCM connectors will fit your PCM as well. The 04 PCM should be a last of four digit 0411 PCM (on the tag on it)[P

Careful. The 04 motor was slightly different than the 06. The 04 is a 24x crank wheel and the 06 is a 58x wheel. There are other slight variations as well. Check that the PCM connectors will fit your PCM as well. The 04 PCM should be a last of four digit 0411 PCM (on the tag on it)[P

The connectors on the harness fit my PCM. Both are blue/green.

my tag
20150815_120328 by Flipper_1938, on Flickr

In the full size GM trucks (CK trucks like the Silverado, Sierra, Tahoe, Yukon etc) GM didn't switch to the 58x reluctor wheel and the newer ECMs until the new body style came out in 2007. As someone else mentioned 2007 was a transition year so both body styles existed in 2007. The earlier body style trucks (I think they are called GMT800 by GM) continued to use the 24x reluctor wheel and the earlier "Warren" PCM (Powertrain Control Module). The newer body style trucks (I think the GM technical term is GMT900) use the 58x trigger wheels and the E38 ECM (Engine Control Module) and then a separate TCM (transmission control module) to control the transmission.

The full size trucks switched from Gen III engines to Gen IV engines when they made the switch to the 58x wheel and the new ECMs. In some of the other vehicles GM confused things a bit by switching to the Gen IV engine but staying with the 24x reluctor wheel for a year or two. So, for example, the 2005 Corvette has the Gen IV V8 LS2 engine but is 24x wheel (E40 ECM). The 2005-2006 GTO and SSR are also Gen IV V8 LS2 with the 24x wheel but the 2006 Corvette has the LS2 engine with a 58x wheel. So even for the same model year and engine designation, not all engines have the same reluctor tooth count or ECM type. This confusion is one of the reasons we ended up producing our 58x to 24x conversion module.

The instructions for our conversion module (that someone else already mentioned) has a fairly complete table of what vehicles/years use which reluctor wheel and camshaft wheel along with pictures of the different parts to help identify them. The instructions can be downloaded here (go to pages 12 and 13 for the table of vehicles):

http://www.lingenfelter.com/sites/li...ons v1.5.pdf

If you have the VIN from the customer vehicle it is pretty easy to confirm which controller and reluctor wheel they need based on the engine family code and the calibration files. If the customer has the original engine it is pretty easy to tell from the crankshaft sensor color as well (see the instructions linked to above for pictures etc.).

2007 was a transition year but I don't know if they continued to stretch out the old trucks chassis for longer outside the US. I know on the previous chassis/vehicle transition year (1999) you could still get 5.7L Vortec Gen 1 V8 equipped trucks in Mexico and elsehwere for several years after they were no longer available in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronx_peanut View Post
You can use this http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...gory_Code=C163

Jason Haines @ LPE is offline Report Post

from another forum

It's all good. I found out from the guy that is going to program my PCM, that everything will play nicely together.

....come on cooler weather.

I had been planning on spending the long weekend working on Molly's FJ40. The forecast of mid-90's temperatures kinda takes the thrill of a three day weekend down a couple of notches.

Last time I worked on the FJ40, I miscalculated where the spring mounts needed to be and welded them in the wrong spot. [;):mad: This really ticked me off and I have let the project sit.

Well, I broke down and bought a new set of spring mounts and am ready to take another swing at it. Maybe I will get them in the right spot this time.

I can't tell you how many times I've welded something in wrong. Now I do a lot of tacking for mock up and hope to remember to weld everything when I know it all works.

Molly made brackets to outboard her springs (I drew the lines and she did the cutting)
20151229_103839_resized by Flipper_1938, on Flickr

After my last F'up, I tried something different this time. I tacked the brackets to a 1x1 tube on the work bench to get the spacing and squareness right and then moved the fixture to the truck and clamped it up for welding.

20151228_173404_resized by Flipper_1938, on Flickr

With no weight, the shackle angle looks wrong
20151229_143908_resized by Flipper_1938, on Flickr

but it should be right when the drivetrain goes back in
20151229_163504_resized by Flipper_1938, on Flickr

This going to be big when I move the axles under the springs
20151229_163446_resized by Flipper_1938, on Flickr

Not really part of the build, but it may help somebody. I normally weld in daylight, but since it was so stormy, I had to keep the door closed. We rigged up some temporary lighting using an engine hoist, a couple of led shop lights, and some square tubing
20151228_164837_resized by Flipper_1938, on Flickr

Looking good, instant light pole, good thinking.[cl
My daughter loves to weld but hates to cut [;)
Molly seems to be have fun[cl gloves might help to handle the hot stuff. [S

Latest posts

Back