Big Block Bantam

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don't worry fellas, I know how to deal with snow. Stay in the shop and weld, weld, weld. BTW, we could get some flakes Wednesday.:eek:

I welded a 5" extension to the firewall today. That should give me the interior room I need. Next, I'll probably stick the engine in the frame and determine wheelbase.

You are something else! Great progress so far! :D

Here goes Super Bob again; the way he works he should have this one done in about two weeks and be started on another one. You put the rest of us shame, Bob!

Super Bob indeed !! [cl[cl
This is hot rod ADD at its finest! Deep into the Renault project is not enough, now this Bantam is moving right along.
Bob makes us all look like slackers :D

Like how you stepped the firewall , adding inches but retaining the
original look.......oh yeah, if you have some spare time I have a few
projects I could use a little help with :D:D:D

The rear frame kick ups are made and tacked in along with the upper spring mounts. I'm using helper coil springs that I got for five bucks at the last swap meet. I know they will be very stiff but I'll need that because only 1 1/2" inches is available in the wheel well for suspension travel. I can adjust the rear frame height 2" in case a larger tire is used or the springs settle. I'll rely on the big slicks with low pressure to provide some tire suspension .

Thank you for all the comments. I really don't work fast, just steady.

Last edited:
Looking good Bob [cl[cl[cl

Looking forward to the day the Bantam and your buddies modified Stude are side by side at the drags.:D:)

Another view. The plates on top of the springs unbolt so spacers can be added if more tire clearance is needed.

Thanks Tom. Terry is building a '55 Chevy gasser so I don't know if he'll run the Stude next year. It would be a good match up though.

I trimmed all the parts that won't be needed off the ladder bars. They're the shiny bits in the pic. Got a chunk of 2" by 4" by 3/16" wall and carved out rear axle pads. The bars bolt to the pads, the pads are welded to the axle, the power is applied, the front wheels reach for the sky. Whee!!! we're drag racing!

BN, I thought about that and I have done it on other builds. Guess I got lazy this time.

Last edited:

Bought a nice, polished 1/8" thick aluminum plate for the firewall. I needed a flange on the firewall extension to bolt it to. Structural angle iron is clunky looking, so I took a piece of 1" by 1" 16 gauge square tubing and cut it with the angle grinder and cut off wheel to make two pieces of angle iron. It is plug welded to the extension so I can sand it nice and smooth.

Looks like your other hot rod projects are having to wait there turn :eek:

You are 100% into this STREET / STRIP Bantam and we love it.[cl[cl

Keep up the fine work.:)

Latest posts

Back