37 Chev Pickup

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigger

Hello ALL
I joined a few months ago and have made some progress on my build.
I have a 37 1/2 ton that I cut the front end off. I installed a Camaro clip set up for standard ride height. With a Trans AM rear end and four link setup I fabricated it will give me 4 wheel disc brakes. I have had a SBC 383 stroker sitting in my shop for a while and am going to install it soon. I built an engine test stand and had it running with the 700R4 transmission attached.
I have tried to load some pictures but they keep showing upside down. Working on a remedy.

Attachments

• IMG_0225.JPG
    IMG_0225.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0226.JPG
    IMG_0226.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0227.JPG
    IMG_0227.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0228.JPG
    IMG_0228.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0123.jpg
    IMG_0123.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0224.JPG
    IMG_0224.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
I wish my stuff could hang upside like that, it would free up a lot of shop space[S

the I F S Camaro is what used on the 1948 dodge truck and l like it a lot, this swap gives you a large variety of stock and after-market parts from craigslist, E bay, catalogs, friends and swap meets to choose from. magazines and the internet will have a lot of articles upgrades from rally races to drag racing and anything in between. the availability of so many parts will save a lot $$$ being as their is a billion re-pop and new stuff and is already to ship or pickup..

keep up yor'e good work,

Later:cool:

Last edited:
Looks like a good start to me.
Pictures are upright when I view them. The thumbnails appear to be upside down for some reason but when I open them they are right side up. Technology, doesn't always make sense.
Funny thing that stood out in your pictures for me was those blue coveralls.
I knew instantly you were another canuck that more than likely worked/works in the oil & gas industry.
Welcome to the forum. [P

Thanks for the response and info. I am going to try pictures from my phone to see if they load rightside up. Struggled for over an hour, a way to get them proper on the site but no luck.
The Camaro frontend has been a savior so far as I picked up a lowering kit on Kijiji . Not sure whether I will use it or not. Once I get some weight in with the engine and cab I will start to see it sit down some.
I am just dealing with a couple of oil leaks today on the pan. Swapped out the cork and rubber for a one piece Felpro unit and got that sealed up. I have one leak left on the timing cover and then into the frame it goes. The engine stand has been nice to work with. It took a while to build it but once everything is set I can put this in the truck and hopefully not have tp pull it after working out the bugs. I also have a few other engines I want to run so I thought it a worthwhile side project.
You were bang on with the Oilpatch. Some of the coveralls were from my sons work on a drilling rig. I am in the patch also.

Attachments

• IMG_0219.jpg
    IMG_0219.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCN0664.jpg
    DSCN0664.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCN0662.jpg
    DSCN0662.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 73
a 37 is on my list so I am happy to see one in the builds. [cl

looks great, is the camaro a good fit for the front, width wise?

Yes the width works our pretty well. I used a piece of 2x6 rectangular tubing to mate the two frames and then boxed it in with plate. I could have easily lowered it 2 inches but set it up for stock ride height. I then had to fabricate engine brackets to move up and back to make my SBC fit in the engine bay. I cut the front horns off just ahead of the steering box and fabricated a support for the rad and front sheet metal. It took quite a bit of mockup.

Attachments

• DSCN0659.jpg
    DSCN0659.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCN0660.jpg
    DSCN0660.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 58
FYI rear steer 67 to 69 Camaro and 68 to 74 Nova are 1 1/2" narrower than the front steer 70 up Camaro and 75 up Nova

Thanks for the info, a little narrower would probably have been good. The early versions also had the steering box mounted farther back and I was concerned about interference with the engine but I ended up building brackets to move the engine up and back.
I set the engine and put the cab on over the last couple days. I am ready to start repairing my floor pans now.

Attachments

• DSCN0666.jpg
    DSCN0666.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCN0673.jpg
    DSCN0673.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCN0674.jpg
    DSCN0674.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 58
Engine test stand

I built an engine test/run stand to accept either an engine/transmission combination or engine bell housing, or engine storage. This unit is made to be able to be stored and takes up a 3x1 foot square space and stands 4.5 feet tall.
The way you see it in storage mode has all the attachments with it. Engine mount supports, radiator supports, battery box, rear engine bell housing support/transmission support, and instrument panel c/w throttle assembly.
I built this because I have run out of wall space to stack against.

Attachments

• DSCN0663.jpg
    DSCN0663.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCN0672.jpg
    DSCN0672.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCN0671.jpg
    DSCN0671.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCN0670.jpg
    DSCN0670.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Engine test stand

I'll second that....... super shop too.....and it looks like a few
more projects on the shelf.......[cl[cl

The stand worked out well. Yes there are some more projects in the shadows. You probably saw the 26/27 Ford Roadster sitting on the shelf. I just picked up a running flathead along with complete driveline from a 49 Ford car this summer. I need to collect a few more things for that project and get this 37 done then maybe.

Engine test stand

I also like your big, neat shop.
If you ever consider starting a thread of coverall pictures, I could add my oilfield blues too.
Keep on building that truck. [dr[dr

Lots of Rig coveralls in this shop. I worked on service rigs in my youth, that was a long time ago in a far away land. As big as the shop is I am still running out of room. If it gets any more full or I get much older I could be lost in there for days.

37 Chev Pickup 56 Olds dash

Mockup, 56 Olds dash into the 37 Chev cab. Narrowed the dash 13 inches from the center to fit it to the 37 body width. Sectioned the glove box in order to fit it. Removed ignition bezel as steering column has key. Worked out well as I needed the room to have the lower section of the dash functional. I am planning on taking the outer curved section of the Olds dash L and R and incorporating them into the doors as a knee knocker. This will give the driver, (Me), a wrap around feel. Kind of like a cockpit. I have set the steering column in place to adjust and set up the seating height. Good thing I have short legs as these trucks were not made for tall people.

Attachments

• DSCN0701.jpg
    DSCN0701.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCN0698.jpg
    DSCN0698.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCN0699.jpg
    DSCN0699.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCN0700.jpg
    DSCN0700.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 59
Mockup, 56 Olds dash into the 37 Chev cab. Narrowed the dash 13 inches from the center to fit it to the 37 body width. Sectioned the glove box in order to fit it. Removed ignition bezel as steering column has key. Worked out well as I needed the room to have the lower section of the dash functional. I am planning on taking the outer curved section of the Olds dash L and R and incorporating them into the doors as a knee knocker. This will give the driver, (Me), a wrap around feel. Kind of like a cockpit. I have set the steering column in place to adjust and set up the seating height. Good thing I have short legs as these trucks were not made for tall people.
Very nice dash installation. I really like the idea of a custom touch like this. Especially in a rat rod. It ups the game a lot. Of course I am a big fan of customs. and of course, I am doing a dash replacement in my current project, so I am a bit bias. I have been on the hunt for a cool dash for my next project. Its a lot of work, but so worth it! [clWe build these critters for us, and what are we going to spend more time looking at while driving? Well, besides the big grin on our faces in the mirror.

True story on the space available in these trucks. :D My biggest challenge, along with many here, is finding ways to gain every possible inch. With that seating setup in you 37 you, good Sir, are obviously not facing that challenge. Looks comfortable.

37 Chev Pickup 56 Olds dash

Back at the 37 this weekend. Had some great success with finishing out my dash on one side. Was not sure if I could incorporate the balance of the outer curve into the door but here it is. When I installed the dash to the cab it did not have the same feel without the finished curves. I moved them into the door and I like it. Feels like an aircraft cockpit. I think I will even go faster as a result. Ha! Ha! I little more tweaking but you get the picture.

Attachments

• DSCN0710.jpg
    DSCN0710.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCN0711.jpg
    DSCN0711.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCN0712.jpg
    DSCN0712.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCN0713.jpg
    DSCN0713.jpg