What would you do?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drewski

As I get older, I've decided it's time to rid myself of some of the things that I have held on to for years. Dealing in automotive paint since the 60's, I find myself with a quantity of leftover unopened cans of acylic lacquer and some acrylic enamel. All of it is factory pack in a variety of colors from the 50's 60's and 70's. I've used some of it over the years, but have really lost interest in painting cars and motorcycles. Do you think something like this would sell at swap meets. Note that I no interest in trying to sell online or in shipping at all.

So if you attended a swap meet and ran up on a guy with a table full of new old stock paint, would you even consider buying any?

P1010086.jpg

P1010092.jpg

Well......... it's anybody's guess...depends on what they want to use it for
so I'd say right guy, right place...sure....a couple years after I closed my body shop I had a bunch of left over base clear stuff...thought maybe someday
I'd use it...decided I needed the storage space more than the paint supplies.
Young man starting a shop down the road from me stopped by....I ask if he'd
like to have the stuff......he brought a buddy back and hauled off 2 truck loads
off......I just wanted rid of it.....

You should be able to get rid of it.
Lots of newbies want to shoot lacquer until they see the costs of buying it new If you can get it. Quarts or pints would work for Bikes or smaller projects.
Seeing those cans took me back a few years. Although I mostly shot DuPont.[ddd :D :cool:
Torchie

I would be scared to use it myself. It might not dry correctly or something,and then you would have to strip it off. Which is no fun at all--just my two cents worth.

I know that some people might be afraid of old product, but I have not run into any problems with lacquers. I shot this work bench and tire changer a couple years ago with lacquer base and cleared with Imron. The lacquer nor the Imron had be previously opened and were at least dated early to mid 70's. I will say that concerns about age may prove that I would waste my time sitting at a table full of old stock paint.

P1010882.jpg

weldtable1.jpg

tirechanger.jpg

Last edited:
Age isn't an issue.
There a guy over on the hamb with a gallon of unopened lacquer. He wants $300 for it and says that right now there is the same on e-bay going for $600.
Lots of custom guys that want to shoot lacquer search for the old stuff because some of the colors can't be duplicate as the formulas no longer cross over. And the equipment that the paint store use to match paint colors usually don't give a perfect match.
I say try to sell it at a swap meet and see what happens. Or put an add on CL and see what happens. A old shop by me did that with all their old stock and it all sold in about a day.
JMHO.:)
Torchie

Hummmmm, I go to Nashville pretty regularly. I might have to think about this pretty hard. I don't paint that often, but it would be nice to have some colors on hand. Never tried spraying lacquer, but use enamel a lot.

I remember when that paint first came out, really nice colors and I always thought it looked good on cars. Don't know the legalities but what can it hurt to try & sell some?

Toad

What colors do you have? I have an '80 Corvette I'm going to be painting soon and maybe I could save a few bucks - ? [S

What colors do you have? I have an '80 Corvette I'm going to be painting soon and maybe I could save a few bucks - ? [S

I seriously doubt that I would have enough of one color to paint an entire car. Most of this paint will be only a pint or quart of one color. Back in th 60's and 70's I would usually buy an extra pint or quart to ensure that I would have enough paint for the job at hand. Paint back then was not crazy expensive like it is today.

I'm not sure about the site rules, but I didn't post this thread to try and sell to people here. Just curious if there would be any interest if I tried selling local, maybe a swap meet.

I got started in automotive painting by shooting all sorts of colors on motorcycles and later graduated to vans with 360 degree murals. All lacquer, cobbwebbing, fades, flames, etc. One of the reasons I wound up with such a stock of paint.

Some of my first attempts. I guess they were well received, I got covered up with work. Seems that I had more friends than ever during those days.

419391-R1-08-9.jpg

419391-R1-05-6.jpg

419391-R1-04-5.jpg

419391-R1-02-3.jpg

Latest posts

Back