Black Rod

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The black BBQ paint is Really flat, almost looks smokey. Dont know what it would look like rolled.
The john deer paint is said to be really hard to sand off if you ever need to repaint. The guy before me used it on my truck. It would look great it he had done some body work first:eek: but dont know what that would look like rolled either.
I am doing the body work now and plan to use an epoxey primer with no top coat. Not into shinny finishes currently. This is being recomended by a friend who has been painting hotrods forever. I have been doing him favors for several months now and I think I just about have his services paid for.

Maybe try some test patches.

I wouldnt roll it.Its going to leave roller marks and depending on wheat roller pad you use its going to leave the impessions of the pad.(IMO)If you dont have a gun.They are real cheap at your local Harbor Freight.

I agree, however, my friends' 30' Coupe is black Bar-B-Que paint.

Gasser,
Ya'll paint u're BBQ over there on the coast!? ; - >

Here's a link to a Hot Rod article where they did a roller paint hon on an old Falcon... they claim $98. They used white but u'll get the idea! Ck it...
Old Falcon Roller Paint Job!

BoB

Last edited:
there was another guy who did a roller job on a corvair complete with yenko stripes looked pretty good and he even had pictures of it a few years later showing how good the paint holds up

My wifes son did his S-10 with Rustoleum Wrinkle Finish. He used a thick napped short roller. Yeah, up close it looked like a four wheeled BBQ grille, but from a distance it looked good. The outside portion was flat, but in the wrinkles was a sort of sheen. At night when he would drive under lights the flat part would not shine, but the wrinkles would give a quick flash of shine. It would almost glimmer as it went down the street. During the day...Blah. At night...Different.

If you use a roller, remember to feather out the edges. Don't try to stretch the paint, lay it on nice and thick. Then go back over it lightly, feathering the edges. Use lots of masking tape.

Last edited:
I have one of them china freight guns,works great for a primer gun but take it apart frist and clean the crap out of it.All the adjustments are glued in place.But if it were me i would stay away from the roller.Try techstar it's cheap cheap cheap and lay's down nice.

I want to roller my truck the standard satin black. What is a good paint to use?;)

Spraying your truck is a lot easier and cheaper than you think. I`m no pro, but have painted a couple cars with decent results.
Buy an el cheapo HVLP gun at Harbor Freight. Go to O`Reilly Auto Parts and get a gallon of Nason "fleet" paint. The paint guy there can instruct you on reducing ratios and such.
If you watch your P`s & Q`s, you will get out for under $100 for everything.

use rustoleum satin black, use the 4" foam rollers. i did my 67 cougar before i sold it and bought a real car (27 T coupe) it came out great , you can work the roller marks out. add some odorless mineral spirits and a shot of penetrol and roll away. i would upload a pic but it wont let me...:mad:

use rustoleum satin black, use the 4" foam rollers. i did my 67 cougar before i sold it and bought a real car (27 T coupe) it came out great , you can work the roller marks out. add some odorless mineral spirits and a shot of penetrol and roll away. i would upload a pic but it wont let me...:mad:

Try getting the picture smaller first, this site doesn't like big pictures.

here is a pic of the cougar i roller painted with rustoleum satin black. the can with the furniture on it..

Attachments

• RESIZED2.jpg
    RESIZED2.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 91
omni- epoxy primer

I used Omni. Its a epoxy primer that you mix a hardener into. Super cheap, super easy to spray on. The totaly cost of paint was $60.00.

Latest posts

Back