gasser build!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogpatch1

well here we go again, i come home from work saturday and go to pull into the driveway and just about run smack dab into a car???:confused:??? who the h#$l parked this thing there? so i get out and read this note in an envelope on the dash. heres something we thought you might finish and enjoy or at least see to it that it goes to a good home and not the scrapper heres the title, motor is a 1970 buick 455 trans is a b.o.p. short tail 350 turbo(not gunna use) all the body parts, glass, wiring, and chrome are in it goodluck.

turns out to be a 1964 mercury comet, 2 door, solid floors and trunk clean engine compartment, nice fenders and doors, some rust around rear quarters(perfect for an altered wheelbase car.)

now since my kid decided he wanted his budies 1972 lemans (gto clone) instead of a roadster, i find myself in need of a winter project.

i ask of my R.R.R. friends to post any gasser related pics and info here, I NEED RULES AS THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN AT THE HEIGHT OF THE GASSER OR ALTERED WHEEL BASE ERA.

i am going to use the 455 buick motor(just to mess with the ford/merc guys) injected with stacks i think,
a 4 speed stick 1945 truck front springs and a straight axle with disc's up front, i also have a ford 9 inch rear end too. 2 15x10 slots for the rear.

since i'm way ahead cost wise might as well go for it eh?

SO PLEASE SHOW ME WHAT YOU'VE GOT! PLEASE. DP1

Attachments

• pinstripes n stuff 005.jpg
    pinstripes n stuff 005.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 51
  • pinstripes n stuff 007.jpg
    pinstripes n stuff 007.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 35
  • pinstripes n stuff 015.jpg
    pinstripes n stuff 015.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 40
  • pinstripes n stuff 012.jpg
    pinstripes n stuff 012.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 45
  • alteredwars3.jpg
    alteredwars3.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 69
I'll put up some photos in a bit DP-1 but that car you posted there would not have been a class legal gasser because of the altered wheelbase. Gas class rules changed rapidly during the 60's but the basics remained the same.

No more than 10% (of the wheelbase) engine setback as measured from the front axle centerline to the front spark plug hole.

During the early years, ALL street trim including exhaust and factory bumpers had to be in place along with full interior, but those rules were relaxed over the years.

Classes were broken down into cubic inch per pound of total vehicle weight.

Oh, and contrary to popular belief, many, many, gassers did not run a straight axle. It's just that the blown, nose high monsters are what is remembered now days.

Go to www.gassermadness.com for some history lessons, evolution of rules, and all the gasser photos that a person could possibly handle.

so stupid question-was there a class that was for the altered wheelbase cars we see (and love)

just curious.....thanks for that link too there, gastrick

i knew you'd come thru with the goods. THANKS FOR THE LINK, BYRONS PAGE IS GREAT, so i scrolled down and in 1969, (bout the time i noticed cars n chicks lol!)
a class with this motor and the weight of the car comes in as 6.0 lbs per cube. a/gas right? now bear with me i've never followed the rules of anything let alone gassers, so if i dont alter the wheel base it would be this class? am i reading this right? was there a class for altered wheelbase non blown's?

sorry for all the ????

i understand the front axle thing, but man i really like the nose up and street freak styles, i'm really not to worried about being perfectly period correct just close. so to alter the w/base or not??? hummmmm dp1

I can't give you the details but the altered wheelbase late model cars were the beginnings of funny cars. They were called Factory Experimental. I remember A/FX and B/FX classifications. Maybe a Google search would turn something up.

Go ahead and da an AWB straight axle car if you like them. They are way cool for sure. I love em. I was just pointing out that it wasn't a must to make a gasser if you didn't want to go that route.

A/FX cars didn't have to be blown so you are good there too. Plus, there were exhibition cars that didn't really make class rules that ran match races as crowd pleasers.

thanks for the pic. thats real close to what i want. rockb that buick is a customers i am turning it into an old nascar clone, fuel cell cage numbers and lettering and all! did the brackets for tha airbags fit alright? ggggggggggggggg

thanks for the pic. thats real close to what i want. rockb that buick is a customers i am turning it into an old nascar clone, fuel cell cage numbers and lettering and all! did the brackets for tha airbags fit alright? ggggggggggggggg

The buick will be sweet when its done. When you get it all painted shoot me some pics. Id like to check it out. I never got the brackets? Do you have a tracking # for them?

Latest posts

Back