Help on COLOR!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fox Fabrication

Looking for some "MENTAL" help here guys.......I'm in the "bodywork" stage of my car....Pounding out dents, hammer dolley work, little bondo here and there......

I DO NOT know what color to paint this darn car!!! Been leaning towards BLACK.....but also like the "RED'ish" color as seen on the cowl and rear quarter....Heck I was even thinkin a satin white, and a aluminum silver color as well!!!

I know it's MY car and should paint it what color I want...problem is I like a lot of the colors out there!

Shoot some thoughts/ideas...Thanks!

attachment.php

Last edited:
I say a very dark oxblood, and wheels the same color as the rears that are on it now. You're going to get a lot of different opinions with a question like that :)

Before I read what you wrote, I was thinking what a good color the red is at the front and back. I think I would distress it so it is really not a solid color.

I do like that red on there...even a tad darker would look pretty good as well!

Played around with some crappy photo editing software and came up with the following colors.....

Attachments

• redflames.jpg
    redflames.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 73
  • hotrod yellow.jpg
    hotrod yellow.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 70
  • hotrod red.jpg
    hotrod red.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 57
  • hotrod dark dark brown.jpg
    hotrod dark dark brown.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 90
  • hotrod GREEN.jpg
    hotrod GREEN.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 59
I even ask the wife who really doesn't care that much for my project....she also said she likes the dark redish brown that is on the cowl..mabe even a little darker in a satin type finsih....Looks like I'll go something along that route!!!

satin oxblood red with a black flake top. black wheels with big chrome center caps and rings. bring the black down to body line in the back, behind the rear windows.

paint will detract from that rod. get the body straight maybe put some primer on it but please do not paint her. every one paints there rods. paint is for wussy's please build your cars with your harts not your pockets

I agree. Leave it in the original patina. It`s so tough to get that look back without looking like a fake attempt. Let it weather.

I looked around for a while to find a sedan with original patina to do.
I`m leaving it just like this.

Attachments

• MVC-008S.JPG
    MVC-008S.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 20
  • MVC-010S.JPG
    MVC-010S.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 35
OK I have put off getting into this discussion long enough. I have to agree, the way the rod looks as is looks really good. And don't get me wrong, I love the way natural patinas look, the 31 I am building had a solid rust covering with a few patches where someone had brush painted it. I am not going to put a high dollar paintjob on it, actually I am considering a can or two of $10 rustoleum enamel. I just can't see building something without stopping the decay process so I can drive the hell out it and my kids can still drive it in 16yrs without having to relace the metal. Is my thinking out of whack? I do custom airbrushing, so I don't think it would be that hard to do a "weathered " look while preserving the metal underneath.

Latest posts

Back