My 41 Dodge

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Helicoil will be stronger than the original threads! I've used them many times. My factory aluminum Chevy heads have helicoils in the rocker studs, if they won't pull out under that much pressure, you don't have anything to worry about on a pan bolt!

Its not that I am scared of the integrity of a heli-coil it is just that I have never done one before. Don't want the first time I try one to be on something that needs to be done in a couple days. I drilled it and tapped it last night and it is ready to go now. Just need to put fluid in it.

Well over the course of the last week there has been much that went on. Cleaned up a lot of loose ends. Tightened down the trans pan and added some fluid and the dumb thing still leaks. Now it is coming from a stupid cooling line!!! :mad:Also some where along the line the linkage on the trans adjusted itself and it is a little flighty about going into park..... :mad:

On a brighter note, I finished wiring all the lights and it now has functioning turn signals, hazard lights, brake lights, high and low beam headlights, working bag gauges and tank gauge. Wired in a siren and ooga horn as well. Threw a little paint on it it to cover up the chop line in the back, and finished up a few other things. Put on the hood ornament (actually for a 48 but looks cool and fits pretty well) and re-used the hood badges on the side of the cowl, I think it looks great. Also put on a little mo-hawk on the air filter for some added pizazz. Half a$$ed a mount of the cooling fan and wired it in. Still need to build a shroud for the fan but it was on for now and the fan is strong enough to cool without the shroud. Even threw on a couple mirrors and built something resembling a bumper to put in the hitch on the back.

2012-09-03_01-08-18_242.jpg

2012-09-04_15-04-11_710.jpg

2012-09-04_15-07-37_811.jpg

2012-09-02_20-55-19_197.jpg

With all that at this point it was time to roll out into the sun and prep for a trip on the trailer. No time for a test ride.

2012-09-03_17-00-04_888.jpg

2012-09-03_17-00-17_15.jpg

Put it on the trailer Tuesday night pulled out Weds morning for the big day!! Showed up at mom and dads that afternoon and unloaded. Finally got a chance to take it for a quick cruise. To bad it wasn't legal but I did manage to make it a couple miles down the road and back and it felt amazing!!! Rolled her in the barn to rest for Saturday.

Pulled it out and set it in the driveway for the festivities Saturday morning and she was the talk of the crowd. Photographer was having a field day with it and so were all my friends.

facebook_1492189026.jpg

facebook_1222812769.jpg

My new bride got to have the honor of the first ride (other than me of course) and we were glad it was there.

Last edited:
Seriously, nice work getting it all together, looks bad ass slammed down!

Congrats on getting hitched, and if she took a ride in it on the wedding day, thats awesome!

Look me up when you decide to venture a bit of distance in it!

I second it all.....

Congrats on getting hitched, and if she took a ride in it on the wedding day, thats awesome!

How could you not be happy.??? New ride, new wife....best of both worlds..[cl

WOW talk about making memories on your wedding day. Congratulation to you and your wife.

Thanks Bud it was a great day!!!!

You have no idea how many people said how can you drive it like that?!?! Don't know how they missed the bags up front in plain view!!! She loves the rat! Almost broke my heart a week ago when she told me that she likes it more than my jeep!!! Her words were "the jeep was fun but this just looks bad a$$!!!!" If you look close in the one pic you can see her in the seat. It was her first real ride in it and she was so happy! Whenever I get it ready to go really down the road I will let you know!

How could you not be happy.??? New ride, new wife....best of both worlds..[cl

I am truly blessed!!!! She has been the best thing in my life for quite some time and with out her pushing me who knows when the rat would be done. I think that was her whole idea all along. :rolleyes: Just one of the many reasons I love her. When I get the pictures from the wedding I will post up a few more!

Congrats to you and the lovely wife!!!

I'm happy for you both..... 33 years now for me and the misses... seems like yesterday.... :D

well........... last night stupidity set in...........

Surfin the list I stumbled across something. It was listed just down the road from my buddies house. I called him and he went over and looked at it. A couple minutes later I am the proud owner of this for a mere $50.

2012091595173056.jpg

All the bearings are tight, rolls nice and smooth.

I think I am going to try and fit it to the side of the Dodge for a little extra oomph. I know it will take a lot of doin and patience but it should be pretty much a one of kind by the time I am done...... if I ever get done.......

Latest posts

Back