My 41 Dodge

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like what you have so far and where you are going.........I am staying with the full body on mine but plan on getting it absolutely as low as possible but still keep the coils in front and leafs in back as a last resort I will look a bagging it. I have a lot of back/spinal cord issues and at this point in my life a softer ride is what I have to do instead of taking the direction of yours which is what I would of liked to do :(.
I would love to have mine drivable for next years Power Tour going from Cocoa Beach Fl. to Detroit MI. but not sure that is going to happen :eek:

Well if you make that Power tour, you be sure to look me up when you get near Detroit as I am only a few miles south of Detroit right off of 75. I would imagine that you would come cruising right passed me.

Well if you make that Power tour, you be sure to look me up when you get near Detroit as I am only a few miles south of Detroit right off of 75. I would imagine that you would come cruising right passed me.

Will do.....we have had the Z/28 at 4 of the Woodward Dream Cruises IMO one of the biggest/best cruises in the country and have had a absolute blast at everyone (lol even the year of the blackout :eek:).

heh sorry for getting off the post track.........carry on [;)

Last edited:
Remarked the front yet again.... I think this time is a winner with some minor tweaks to the marks in the windshield frame. I moved the front marks up 3/4" and changed those to 3 1/2" since I am going to lay the posts back instead of adding in the middle. I also made my self a set of chop gauges. I took a piece of sheet metal and cut it into a two inch strip then cut that into a 3 1/2" piece and a 4" piece. makes it a lot easier to see what you are doing.

IMG00706-20101201-1544.jpg

IMG00708-20101201-1550.jpg

Well I decided tomorrow it the big day. I am going to brace it and start cutting the top. Hope it goes well.

Was working on the head lights today. I have a couple big old buckets I wanted to use, but they don't have the rings for the front so I decided to remedy that myself. Also I really like guide lights but don't like the price. So with a couple $5 cab lights I decided to make my own there too. They still need some more fitting work but I think it will look pretty good when they are done.

fakeguide-1.jpg

The visors will need a few more welds and some filler but that is how they look right now.

Today was the big day!! I x braced the cab then braced in the door ways, set up a cheap lift and started whacking!!!

TopChoppin1.jpg

TopChoppin2.jpg

I took 4 out in the back then 3 1/2 in the front. I plan on angling the posts in the front. I set it back on and put in a few tacks to hold it in place for now so I can see how it looks.

TopChoppin7.jpg

TopChoppin5.jpg

TopChoppin4.jpg

All in all I would say it is off to a good start.

Thanks Hot Wheels!!!

I hope it turns out as well as I have it pictured in my head. Still doing a lot of reading on how to do the posts. I dont want to split the roof, I like the looks of angled posts so I think I am going to go for that. After that I want to fit the big old visor I have hanging up for it. Then on to reworking the suspension a bit and putting in the bags. I hope to have it done and going down the road by next summer......

Continued the chop efforts today. I cut the sides of the dash loose so I wouldn't have to take the whole dash out. After I did that I cut a notch (way to big) in the sides and bent the posts back to soak up half the difference in the top. After I did that I cut a pass about six inches long across the top of the front posts above the window, then bent that out to match up the front. Now I started the fun process of cutting slivers on sheet metal to fill in the holes. Once the front is done I will move and start finishing up the back.

frontleft.jpg

side-1.jpg

Even though I kind of screwed up the notches a bit, I still think I like this idea better than cutting the roof in half. I really like the look of the more slanted windshield, even though it is not that much.

Was back at it today, Still need to finish up the passenger side, but it is welded in place and I have most of the seems back together. The driver side pretty much all I have to do is finish the door and a little work inside. Took the time to roll it out of the barn today so I could see it in the daylight. I think it is looking good. Took an angle finder and made sure that the windshield frame is straight, and it is so that is great. Also all the windows and openings are the same size side to side so I must have done something right. Not to happy that some how it has developed a bad trans leak, need to figure out where that is coming from. I ran it up on ramps in the back, but still cant get far enough under it for obvious reasons. Anyhow here are a couple pics of how she stands now.
TopChopday35.jpg

Topchopday31.jpg

And this last one for a few laughs. It kind of looks like a clown car next to me........... I tower in at 6'4" but it still is a pretty decent fit for me inside.

TopChopDay3Me.jpg

i think hes talking about the suspension design - at least
thats what im lookin at.

By the way you were right to question the design on the suspension. Noticed a while back that the 3rd link busted off the top of the axle. Have some friends into dirt track racing and chassis building, that sort of thing. they are currently in the works of rounding up parts to redo the whole suspension front and rear.

have been pretty sick lately, but I started putting the doors back together, at least the drivers door. None of it is finish welded but I tacked it in place and ground it down. Not sure when the next time is I will be able to work on it so blew a little paint at it for in the mean time.

doorfitting.jpg

Still needs a little work, the door isn't hanging straight in the picture need to find a way to tweak that up, when the door is on straight that gap at the top is not there. Not real sure how I am going to adjust that yet, I think I will have to either replace or rebuild the hinges. In any case, I know it isn't perfect but I am trying about the best I can. Still hoping for a summer cruise with it. Should be working on rebuilding the suspension hopefully next month.

Fitted windshield frame, started trying to come up with some sort of mount for the visor, and started to do something with the back window frame. Just buzzed the back frame back together for a minute, I think I am going to do something different with that. I think I am going to try and make that roll up and down........ Not sure how yet but I am sure I will come up with something. Any ideas?

TopChopDay82.jpg

TopChopDay83.jpg

TopChopDay81.jpg

Truck looks great, I like that you coped it without cutting the roof in half.

On the rear window, just depends on how elaborate you want to get. There are electric window kits made for street rods that you could use, (or take the guts out of a used door) or you can go real simple and just make a track on each side of the glass and have a catch or latch that holds the glass in the up position, then some rubber rests when it’s down.

Yeah SugarRay8, I like how I did the chop just wish I would have planned a little better. I had some pretty big gaps to fill, but I dont think it went too bad. I didnt want to split it in the middle as I like it better with the little more slanted windshield. I think it makes it look a little tougher especially with the visor on it. The gears are still turning on how to do the back window, but its not like I am in that big of a hurry.

Thanks Earthman, I am pretty happy with it so far!!

Latest posts

Back