35 IH AKA Project "Riff Raff" build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tidy well thought out chop, I like your insperation too a very cool ride - I will watch your progress with interest.

I work with a guy from England.... he has been over here for 20 years on a work visa. "Tidy well" is something he would say... The one thing that always catches my ear is when he speaks of his friend that works in Detroit for Fords (not Ford). He catches hell from everyone, but what do you expect when you are amongst a bunch or rednecks :D He is a great guy and I enjoy his stories from his time in England. He had a rough life as he was a war baby orphan unless he is pulling our legs.

There is one moron co-worker that always greats him with "gooday mate". I tell the guy that he is not from Australia but he doesn't seam to understand.

I don`t know about that, has filler in the lower part of the cab , so I`ll have to get that out and see what I have.....`24

Pickup.. I considered using the 2.5 ton chassis it came off of but it was just to darn big for what I want.

Check out this picture... I am considering something like this..

Powerplant, That's a Mac's Ratz chassis. He sells those chassis' and just the rail parts with the holes I believe.

Here's a link if you were not already aware. There's more pics there.

http://www.macsratz.com/

If you can some time , could you take a pic of the door frame , i`d like to see what the inner structure looks like , thanks .....`24

If you can some time , could you take a pic of the door frame , i`d like to see what the inner structure looks like , thanks .....`24

A pic of mine won't do yo much good... when I started both of my doors were full of mud and grass from critters or something. The bottoms were both rotted off and I rebuilt them myself both the inside and the outside.

From what I could tell... there was no inner structure. All I did was weld on some sheetmetal... the outside was fairly easy... the inside portion had more bends and curves so that took some time.

I will still snap a shot when I get some time so you will know what I am talking about.

Chop is done. Also a monumental moment..... the doors stay closed by their own latches and they even open with a handle.

I ground down all the welds today. I still need to do some hammering and a little more grinding but the bulk of it is done.

Turned out good I think.

There are still odds and ends I can do to the body before I get my chassis built (waiting for spring and more parts for that to start). I still need to make a windshield, finish the door jams..

Attachments

• DSC06087.JPG
    DSC06087.JPG
    150.3 KB · Views: 117
  • DSC06088.JPG
    DSC06088.JPG
    150.3 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC06089.JPG
    DSC06089.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 119
  • DSC06090.JPG
    DSC06090.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC06091.JPG
    DSC06091.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 166
Mock-up

Stuck the hood on for rough frame measurements. I think the hood looks way too long. I am considering taking 6"-12" out. I plan on running a suicide front end and have yet to make up my mind on radiator placement (in the truck bead or in the traditional location)

Any opinions on shortening the hood based on the rough placement of the engine?

Attachments

• 100_1660.jpg
    100_1660.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 145
  • 100_1665.jpg
    100_1665.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 100_1672.jpg
    100_1672.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 100_1673.jpg
    100_1673.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 109
Modified!!!

Any opinions on shortening the hood based on the rough placement of the engine?

Powerplant,
Yep... that hood is long but I like it & would b tempted to use it as is & then run no bed... it'd make a *very* kool modified!

It's not a truck but this will give u a good idea... ck this kool modified in the new American Rodder...

BoB

Attachments

• mod.jpg
    mod.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 143
Powerplant,
Yep... that hood is long but I like it & would b tempted to use it as is & then run no bed... it'd make a *very* kool modified!

It's not a truck but this will give u a good idea... ck this kool modified in the new American Rodder...

BoB

That is the same one that was in Street Rodder awhile back. It is a modified version of a kit from zipper motors. I think we have the same taste as I do like it.

I know what kind of style you are talking about. I have been contemplating trying to build something that I could run with no box and also (with little trouble) throw on a short box depending on my mood it would be easily removable.

Gearing up for warmer weather. I just drug this rack home from a local equipment sales joint. I am going to wack off the top portion and use some of that laid sideways on the bottom portion for my frame table. Once the frame is built then this is going to turn into a H-frame shop press.

I also found more IH parts since I posted last... I have ended up with some bed sides & a truck hood which answers my question about my original hood looking long as there is a difference between the semi & pickup hoods. (All of this thinking and I probably won't even use the hood anyway).

Attachments

• 100_1765.jpg
    100_1765.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 124
  • 100_1766.jpg
    100_1766.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 82
  • 100_1767.jpg
    100_1767.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 71
A cut here... a weld there.... presto.... chassis table.

Turned out nice I think... I still need to weld on some leveling screw jacks but for the most part it is done.

Attachments

• 100_1769.jpg
    100_1769.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 122
More progress.. I started working on the frame rails. Once I get both of them made I am contemplating torching some lightening holes and reinforcing them.

I decided I am going to build it based on the shorter hood. The original was just too darn long although my grill is going to sit behind the front crossmember with a suicide front end so it will be long enough I figure.

Attachments

• 100_1824.jpg
    100_1824.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 100_1827.jpg
    100_1827.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 124
  • 100_1823.jpg
    100_1823.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 95
  • 100_1825.jpg
    100_1825.jpg