One Way To Chop A Top

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We haven't gotten to the doors yet, I got sidetracked building my T for a year and a half. :eek: Since we laid the windshield back we are going to pretty much have to remove the front part of the door above the belt line and piece it back together to fit the new opening. The back part can be left longer because it is straight up and down there, just needs chopped shorter.

I hope to get to that phase in the next month or so and will post some pictures when I do it.

Don

im reading all that i can about chopped tops and a question comes to mind.

you have the sectioned (sp) top or the laid back a pillars. when you do the layed back chop, how does one know the right amount of cut from front to rear?

im going to do my 41 chevy truck. i see where ppl take 1/2" out or more.

is there a rule of thumb on this?

how does one know the right amount of cut from front to rear?

im going to do my 41 chevy truck. i see where ppl take 1/2" out or more.

is there a rule of thumb on this?

On a sectioned roof,
Ive found, How much windshield do you want? When you cut and put back the front top the windshield is critical to stay straight and flat. So now when you place the rear part, the door arch becomes critical and must be kept straight and flat or a dip or hump will occur.Now you know how much take off the rear to make it all work out.... Now all this can be done in reverse and leave the windshield posts to work it out but if you read my build post you will see that that too can backfire(LOL) if you take to much off the rear and leaves you with to small of a windshield.

On a sectioned roof,
Ive found, How much windshield do you want? When you cut and put back the front top the windshield is critical to stay straight and flat. So now when you place the rear part, the door arch becomes critical and must be kept straight and flat or a dip or hump will occur.Now you know how much take off the rear to make it all work out.... Now all this can be done in reverse and leave the windshield posts to work it out but if you read my build post you will see that that too can backfire(LOL) if you take to much off the rear and leaves you with to small of a windshield.

I was just thinking about the amounts to chop in the future myself.
So if I'm understanding you correctly,you're saying mark the windshield with tape (let's say 4"), then instead of marking the rear cab with tape at 4", you would actaully measure the vertical distance at the A pillar which should be less by a 1/4-1/2" or so and cut that distance off the rear of the cab?

I was also wondering how many people leave an extra 1/2" or so overlap at the rear of the cab (not pillar) to weld without butting up the steel and having to deal with the gap? Then use some of those offset vise grips to lay the metal flat and have a nice place to weld. Good idea or not?

I was just thinking about the amounts to chop in the future myself.
So if I'm understanding you correctly,you're saying mark the windshield with tape (let's say 4"), then instead of marking the rear cab with tape at 4", you would actaully measure the vertical distance at the A pillar which should be less by a 1/4-1/2" or so and cut that distance off the rear of the cab?

The main thing is to take into consideration is everything effects the other,
In the layout dont just go" I like the look of this guys 6" chop" and start cutting 6" out of the rear of the cab without thinking whats it gonna do to the windshield area.Every make and model is different so its hard to say how much has to be cut, it kinda has to be determined as you go.

I was also wondering how many people leave an extra 1/2" or so overlap at the rear of the cab (not pillar) to weld without butting up the steel and having to deal with the gap? Then use some of those offset vise grips to lay the metal flat and have a nice place to weld. Good idea or not?

I overlapped my headliner around the backglass area. I think my next one Im gonna try to overlap more on the roof. In the rear corners usually has to be finessed so overlap may cause some headaches because of a dipping effect
but with stress cuts it may be fine.

My two cents

I just wanted to add a little input by telling how I did my 50 ford cab . I took 3 1/2 inches from front and back . Before I started chop I cut out the whole back glass about 2 1/2 past glass. After chopping roof and putting it back on I recutt the opening to fit rear window. I really don't like the mail slot . Also I split my roof in 4 to keep angle of windshield and doors . That's the look I wanted and really like it . What's funny is that when I did my truck I felt that slanted windshield looked too modern; but now I want to build one with slant post . If I did , I would have to stretch the rear corners of bed so it would look like something bat man would drive . What do you guys think of a battruck ? I've also been kicking around the thought of putting a split rear window in a f-1. Maybie something from another car .well get back with your thoughts.

What if you have a wrap around windshield like my 56 Buick? What do you do with the glass when you go to bend back the A pillars? I have herd of guys tucking it insde the car and also cutting it. I really want to chop this and dont have the funds to "have" it done.

I just wanted to add a little input by telling how I did my 50 ford cab . I took 3 1/2 inches from front and back . Before I started chop I cut out the whole back glass about 2 1/2 past glass. After chopping roof and putting it back on I recutt the opening to fit rear window. I really don't like the mail slot . Also I split my roof in 4 to keep angle of windshield and doors . That's the look I wanted and really like it . What's funny is that when I did my truck I felt that slanted windshield looked too modern; but now I want to build one with slant post . If I did , I would have to stretch the rear corners of bed so it would look like something bat man would drive . What do you guys think of a battruck ? I've also been kicking around the thought of putting a split rear window in a f-1. Maybie something from another car .well get back with your thoughts.
I assume this is not the kind of split you are talking about, but I'm going to add the 2 back windows from a 54 IH truck into the back of my F1 cab ,just cause I really like the look..I thought about just switching to one of the IH cabs i have, but since this will be my first chop, I like the flat windshield of the F1 versus the curved glass of the IH

Some chops like that are sunk....

What if you have a wrap around windshield like my 56 Buick? What do you do with the glass when you go to bend back the A pillars? I have herd of guys tucking it insde the car and also cutting it. I really want to chop this and dont have the funds to "have" it done.

by sinking the window into the lower channel...creating a pocket, you get the lowered top without chopping the window.... not sure I explained that correctly....but have seen a lot of chops done that way....

Latest posts

Back