Difference between ratrod, streetrod, and hotrod

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the first time i layed my eyes on the cab and frame of this truck, i planned on building a rat rod. I believe from all the things i have done to this point, my truck is still a rat rod. The discussions i had at work don't really change my thoughts about my truck, i just thought that we had a great discussion and wondered what others thought about the differences. Even though i repainted some of the patina back to my truck after i chopped the top, i left all of the cab dents in it, it will still have a broken rear window, etc......Thanks for the great thoughts on this topic..

If you build it to impress others or to be like others, you may find yourself categorizing and picking apart others rides. Weather it is a hot rod or street rod or rat rod, build it to please you and don't worry about what someone else may think.

I don't name my cars/trucks and I don't believe in labels. If I am taking the 35 ford truck I say " lets take the 35". or lets take the chevelle etc. guess I am just average......[S

Just speaking of labels..

Alot say they don't believe in lables. I don't either for the purpose of trying to put something, or someone is a "box", but it does help to describe something some. Everyone tried to lable my truck. It was born as a GMC in 1949, but after I got through with it, not much "GMC" was left but the sheetmetal. It was a GMC/Ford/Chevy/Pontiac/Buick/Chryster/Caddilac

Original GMC sheetmetal, & most the chassis.
Ford Mustang rack & pinion, & front suspenstion
Camaro brakes, rotors, master cylinder and booster
Chevy Motor/Trans
Pontiac rear end
Caddy tilt/telescoping column, Chrysler steering wheel
Front seating from a Buick
original GMC front bumber been smoothed out.
Rear bumper was an ElCamino bumper cut up and re-configured as a rear rollpan .
Gas tank from a huge Dodge Van.

Hard to put that in a box.. Just as it is any hand & garage built rod..

RUSTOM:

IMG_6564.jpg

The definition is all in the eyes of the person saying the words.. I am all for the clean rat look myself thats because i dont want my hard work into the cars we build to be labeled as a "thrown together" death trap but a safe creative machine

A hot dog is beef and/or pork, a rat dog is rat, and a street dog can be either, but you get it from the corner vender. Wait.... did I read the question wrong?

Opinions are like belly buttons....Everybody's got one....;)

Thankfully, there seems to be fewer threads on forums showing "BUILDS" where the "car" in question has floor or body framing purchased at Lowes or Home Depot, thrown together with the I-beam bolted to the front of two c-channel iron framerails with no springs, etc...

I think it's awesome we're starting to see more guys coming from a background of racing sporty cars, or mega offroaders, circle-track, etc. If hi-po rods that can accelerate AND handle is the end result, I say COOL!!!!:cool:

Who cares WHAT you call 'em.:confused: If you like it and enjoy building it and driving it and it's SAFE, that's all that matters.:)

Regards,
Shea:)

Well put Shea! nothing chaps my arse more than a total hack job car that someone calls "safe". And then they try and label it the same as what ever I am driving even though mine actually has thought and engineering put into the build. Guess I am just old and crotchedy![cl

I recently raised the ire of a "hot rod" owner and his car club buddies by calling his '31 Ford highboy with a Cadillac engine, Chevy steering wheel, no paint, etc. a Rat Rod. Personnally I don't car much for labels, but they do help when I'm trying to post photos and keep the photos somewhat sorted. Maybe this guy is just a closet Rat Rodder...

1931 Just Married - Ford High Boy / Cadillac Rat Rod by Mike Rogers 303, on Flickr

1931 Ford High Boy / Cadillac Engine / Chevy Bits = Rat Rod by Mike Rogers 303, on Flickr

Oh well, can't please them all so you're best off pleasing yourself! :)

Dont be scared

I dont know jfg455 you cant be scared all your life. Were not all pros. My definition of a rat is: A historical vehicle rescued from the crusher by a novist builder on a small budget with basic mechanical skills, tools and built by their own hand. Add some attitude and art and hope the wheels dont fall off going down the road. CANT BE SCARED ALL THE TIME live a little.

Attachments

• Beatersville2010 061.jpg
    Beatersville2010 061.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 10

Latest posts

Back