muffler question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

26Troadster

i know they don't make this thrush muffler anymore. how does the smitty add up to the sound of the straight through mufflers? how about the thrush red bullets? cherry bomb just never sounded as good as these.

edited it to read better. i want the old tin can thrush mufflers, but can't find then anymore, so i'm asking how the other sound compared to the tin can.

Attachments

• !B7jQqPQCGk~$(KGrHqUOKj0EzLepD(iYBM0gFSmm2g~~_3.jpg
    !B7jQqPQCGk~$(KGrHqUOKj0EzLepD(iYBM0gFSmm2g~~_3.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 18
  • !B+s(HcQCWk~$(KGrHqQOKo4Ey+jC)80gBN!cKSRzfg~~_12.jpg
    !B+s(HcQCWk~$(KGrHqQOKo4Ey+jC)80gBN!cKSRzfg~~_12.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 18
  • !CBBu-mg!2k~$(KGrHqZ,!lIEz+2C-fMGBNF64S1jBg~~_12.jpg
    !CBBu-mg!2k~$(KGrHqZ,!lIEz+2C-fMGBNF64S1jBg~~_12.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
i know they still make the smitty, just don't know how they sound compared to the old tin/beer can thrush.

Can you build your own? Not much to them. 4 or 5 inch tubing for the shell. I got, what was a chrome truck stack, the chrome is pitted and rusty in spots and the guy was going to heave it. The inside exhaust tube is no problem, just have to gang cut it and assemble with fiber. I plan on stainless steel pot scrubbers from the dollar store instead of fiberglass filler, less apt to burn out as fast, in fact I have about 20 of them now. I'll see how far they go, and if I need any more, I know where to get them. ;) I always found the short Thrush 18 to 24 inch rapped and snapped and could be quite noisy, where 36 inch ones were deep and mellow and you could still hear the headers ping and ring. Always loved that sound.

I got these pictures off of the net somewhere awhile back. Not sure who should get the credit, but I thought it was a great idea so I saved them in my "tools to build someday" file. Goes with the comments made earlier.

Attachments

• 42900021.jpg
    42900021.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 42900020.jpg
    42900020.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 23
like the pics of the tool. i make my own mufflers all the time just wanted something that sounded like the old thrush. i use prerated (spelling) tubing on my straight through and the mufflers that fit in my headers for my roadster, and have built some two and three chamber mufflers for myself and the shop trucks. heres a pic of the baffle for my roadster headers uncleaned. one of the guy's that i work with told me about a muffler called porters, i'm gonna check them out.

Attachments

• tnwa.jpg
    tnwa.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 16

Latest posts

Back