Anyone watch Pickers?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willowbilly3

A *real* tin magnet
I notice them passing up old cars all the time. The other night they were all over the usual enamel signs and bicycles, nothing wrong with that but at the end of the one pick they are leaning on an old roadster pickup, 30-31 A model I think, and they don't even give it a second look.

W3,
You're right, those guys buy the craziest stuff. I don't see how they make a real living selling all that cheap stuff after driving all around timbucktu but they seem to find some cool spots. [S

Beercan

pickers

I love that show...they love those old bikes and the old tin signs...I always watch for the old trucks...I just love to see the old rusty iron laying in the woods..I just wish they could lose the Mercedes mini van..kinda ruins the whole show..here they are picking Americana at its best and then packing it in foreign mini van...then the one dude drives around in a VW truck at home. They should drivin an old Chevy,Ford,Dodge stack bed or pickup truck...just my two cents thats all..good show tho..love old American stuff...

I just wish they could lose the Mercedes mini van..kinda ruins the whole show..here they are picking Americana at its best and then packing it in foreign mini van.

I agree, kinda kills it for me too!

ISore

Something about those guys bugs me.. maybe it is the silly looking van.

Sometimes it seems like they are preying on older folks and "stealing" their valuables... like when they bought a WWII vet's samurai sword he brought back from the war. I wanted to smack them up when I saw that.

Other times it seems like they are rescuing americana from the junk pile's of people who will never do anything with it, besides let it rot.

Torn on that show.

Love the show, myself.

They do buy cars and motorcycles. For some reason they don't show that on the History channel. Check out some of the videos on their web page. In one they buy a cool Woody that some fellow cut into a truck and in another they buy a Harley board track racer. And other cool stuff....

thanx...Ded N. Buried

I love the show myself, actually was in Iowa last month and stopped past there shop. The chick whose name escapes me at the moment was really nice. The guys were on the road.

Anyway they had tons of cool stuff in there including a 1914 un-restored and untouched Indian motorcycle, it had a gas head lamp and everything. As far as their prices go, there was stuff in there that i recognized from the show that wasnt really marked up all that much.. like i remembered them picking it for 35 and it was for sale for 65.. that seems fair to me. I was actually surprised, i figured that the prices were going to be through the roof, they weren't. All the real cool stuff like the old bikes were NFS.

I think a big reason they generally pass up cars is they take up a ton of space, there shop is really quite small. Alot of your guys shops would tower over there shop

I have always liked knocking around junk shops. I like one in particular in Maine called Treasure and Trash barn. I would like to do what they do for a living someday. Doubt if I ever will, but I would like to.

Their store is only a few miles from me. It's not 'pre-organized'! Around here we all have cameras in our old barns. Don't know why exactly. Where else would ya have 'em? [S

Never seen the show though. Maybe I should watch to find out where some good tin is!

I usually watch it. Yeah they occasionally get over on people, but on the better picks they want to return so they usually pay a fair price for things. Many times those people haven't had those barns open in years and as was mentioned stuff is rotting away. Many of those old dudes too price things high enough where they don't really want to sell things.
I watch it also cause it segways into Madhouse which is kinda cool, behind the scenes of small town super modified racers at Bowman Grey stadium. Nice in the car camera stuff and your typical bump and spin racers, fist fights and showing how the privateers try to scrape up the money for parts and such. Reminds me of a local track in W. Sacramento I used to go to all the time before it closed down, but Bowman Grey I guess is pretty bigtime there and been around for lots of years.
I actually enjoy it better than American Pickers, but both shows are cool.

Regards,

D.

the latest episode supposedly Leland(the old army vet with the swords) invites the guys back and they pay much higher prices for his stuff, plus they give him an old sign that says "Leland Cafe" on it. i thinks it was a way to make things right with the audience after everyone is saying they ripped him off.
i like the show but they could have found better non gay characters to play the "Pickers" roles.

had to find it

After seeing this post I had to check it out. I tried watching an episode but my computer was acting up. From what I watched I am hooked. Looks like I found a new show my wife won't watch with me.

Have been watching this a few times lately... I know they are not exactly going after the cars but these people won't even come off of a junkyard sign or an old coffee grinder. Talk about serious hoarding problems. I get frustrated with these old people who don't want to sell anything... I know it's theirs, but what the hell... you can't come off of a few small items... and god knows how long it's been since someone has ventured out to these places and they have had a visitor. To each their own I guess.

This has had me thinking that we, as a group, should start a show on the history channel for resurrecting old cars and trucks. We can cover the entire country without ever really traveling (since we are from all over) and each of us could get some credit and publicity to help promote our craft and enthusiasm. Each episode could give tips and tricks to finding old tin and restoring it. Just a thought. I'm surprised this hasn't been done yet.

Latest posts

Back