Covid induced Ferguson TE20

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MercuryMac

Builder Junky!
I had no intention of building a tractor this winter but because some friends got bored with nothing to do and a big, well equipped shop to do nothing in, I, good heartedly, relieved their problem. [pic 1] is the tractor, a Ferguson TE20, that I was going to eventually get around to fixing up. [pic2] was going to be the parts tractor. The parts tractor was closer to the shop, and the motor, [under the blue tarp in the snow] was also closer to the shop so I dug it out and took it to the friends' place. They whipped it into shape. Every once in a while I had to find some parts for them, like a straight oil pan, [pics 3 and 4], and a starter. Well, I brought it home, rebuilt and test-run. [pics five and six].
Sorry about the red tractor, that's not the picture I chose, but it's really rare. That is a 1934 Massey-Harris General Purpose.

Attachments

• IMG_2409.jpg
    IMG_2409.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1889.jpg
    IMG_1889.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2400.jpg
    IMG_2400.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2404.jpg
    IMG_2404.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2417.jpg
    IMG_2417.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2418.jpg
    IMG_2418.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 55
Here is the picture of the Ferguson I was going to fix up. It was complete, but had a broken bellhousing which is integral with the transmission.
Here are some more pictures of the Massey-Harris.

Attachments

• IMG_2399.jpg
    IMG_2399.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2407.jpg
    IMG_2407.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2410.jpg
    IMG_2410.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 41
Doc, they only made these tractors from 1930 to 1934, and I think this one is a '33 or '34.
Dozer, I agree it is pretty bright, but I don't think it came that way from the factory.
OI, steel wheels have some advantages, but also some disadvantages. A few years ago our MLA, [provincial member of parliament] drove this tractor in a parade we had and cursed the quality of ride, loudly. But we voted him in again anyway.
The two guys at this farm shop are really good fabricators and work well together.

Dutch, last year a neighbour came and asked me if I wanted his 'County' tractor and blade, as he was selling the farm and moving to town. He is partly paralyzed, and a mechanical genius.
I said I had too many projects now so he took it to the dump.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I would have picked it up.... [S:D

well I dont have work for a tractor like that ,but I dont care and it would be a nice grocery getter... :D

Today I scrounged around and made a list of things I'll need for the Ferguson. No matter how you try to get things lined up though, you probably will miss some stuff. Oh ya, and I put the robbed oil pan back on the other tractor.

Sorry guys, I didn't realize that I had separate threads going here and I dragged the Ferguson over into the other hobby one.
Today, I finished robbing parts off the parts tractor and loaded it to take over to it's new owner. There's still another half of a tractor to load.

Attachments

• IMG_2467.jpg
    IMG_2467.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 27
The other day I delivered the parts tractors to the new owner. He was happy with the deal, and so was his wife, [always a good thing].
I've been taking little things off the keeper tractor so the sandblaster won't fill the wrong things with sand.

The radiator has had a ride to town, a gungking, an acid bath, and a pressure test. I brought it home yesterday.
Then I took the top off of the transmission, because the safety start wouldn't allow the operator to start the tractor. Harry Ferguson invented a cool safety start. He made the gearshift move the starter solenoid. That means you have to take the gearshift out of whatever gear it's in, to push it up into the start slot. There is a little rod running from the front end of the 'reverse' rail up to the solenoid lever [pic one] inside the bellhousing.
In picture two you'll see a horseshoe looking guide bolted on around the bottom of the gearshift. Well that was bent so that it blocked the movement of the shiftrail. I rebent the guide to the outside of the shiftrail, and put it back together. It seemed to work alright, but I had misgivings, so I took it apart again and rebent the guide so it would fit in between the third / fourth shift block and the reverse / start block. That made the horseshoe guide look right but the shift blocks on the rails wouldn't split apart to accept this guide, so I threw it away and put the whole thing back together again.

Attachments

• IMG_2469.jpg
    IMG_2469.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2470.jpg
    IMG_2470.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 17
I started to work on the hood. The chin part always takes a beating and this one was no exception, dented everywhere and ripped about 3 inches. The welding has been hammered and ground off somewhat in the picture. This is a flip front hood.

Attachments

• IMG_2471.jpg
    IMG_2471.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 19
Yesterday I took the two draglinks off and added four tierod end rubber boots to the list of things to get.
The brakes needed checking so I took a drum off and things looked good in there. I got the star wheel adjuster turning, put the drum back on, and adjusted it up. The pivot for the brake pedal was seized so I heated it up until I could move the pedal. I think I'll put grease nipples in the pivot.

Isn't it amazing how stuff suddenly cooperates as soon as you add some heat! Thanks for the updates MM, I'm enjoying following along.

Yes Bill, I like using the hot wrench on rust.
I bored holes in the brake pedal pivots and tapped them for grease nipples, then I heated them aggressively, got them moving, then screwed the zerks in and greased the pivots. I saw grease steam, but kept squirting grease in and pumping the pedals. They work now.
Unfortunately, my camera didn't work. I took a picture of the new grease zerks but the computer says I didn't. Who are you going to believe?

Latest posts

Back