I'm Gonna Build A Dragster!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand the concept of using a Dyno to rate an engine but nothing beats time on the track to really let you know what you've got.[cl :D :cool:
[P [P [P [P
Torchie

Bob, That's what I wanted to hear:):D

You & Dave can make this happen :cool::cool:

After all this work a 10.99 from the Bullet is something you will remember for a lifetime & don't matter if it's you or Dave in the seat. :):)

Best of luck from the left Coast & stay healthy.

Got that center carb rebuilt yet? Fall is fading fast.:D

Want to make that drive way test before that white stuff arrives.

Left Coast don't get much of the white stuff. :rolleyes:

The 3 two barrel set up is done and runs well. Got to fine tune the idle but that isn't very important.
Driver Dave came over and did some driveway testing. It launches very hard on the trans brake. The question is will the third carb restore the top speed? We'll find out next spring as we are having the possibility of snow this weekend. That's it for our drag racing season. The scoop base had to be redone to fit 3 carbs. I extended the scoop with a little "flair".
This winter I'll put a better fuel pump on it, relocate the trans brake button and do some smoothing on the lower intake casting. There's injector bosses (they are plugged with pipe plugs now) that intrude into the ports. I'll remove the plugs and epoxy the holes shut and grind the protrusions away.

Attachments

• Scoop 001.jpg
    Scoop 001.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 135
  • Scoop 002.jpg
    Scoop 002.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 152
Well Bob very glad that you guys had a chance to make a few driveway hits before the weather put a stop to your race work. Extra glad that Dave had a chance to try the 3x2 setup with the trans brake, sounds like the Bullet is good with the TB & new convertor. I think you will be real happy with the 3x2 plenum setup and your top end speed should be fine.

Good buddy, this is what racers do, you are on the right track to get that 10.99. With the hard leave your 60 ft time will drop and that is ET that you can not leave on the table. Stick with it this winter on your mods and be ready for spring. Stay well and I hope you have a mild winter.

Finally, Covid-free drags

The local drag strip has low key Wednesday afternoon/early evening drags. I dragged the trailer out of the woods. Had to air up the tires. It was starting to return to earth so I washed it. Then I pressure washed it to get the nasty stuff off of it. Rounded up all the tools, parts, gas, etc. and loaded the truck. Rolled the dragster out of the garage and washed the cobwebs and dust off of it. Checked fluids. All that stuff. Dave came over and we loaded it on the trailer. Dave asked when the belts expired. I said not to worry, I was sure it was September. "See" I said, and pointed to the tab on the belt where we both saw, 'JUNE 30, 2020'. "Oh poop". I said, or something to that effect. Called the strip to see if they would let me cheat this one time and to their credit the man said "no". So there she sits, waiting for a new set of belts.

A bunch of us have rented the strip Aug. 2. It will be the first runs with the 3 carb set up.

Attachments

• digger 001.jpg
    digger 001.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 49
  • digger 002.jpg
    digger 002.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 47
Well Bob, you new what his answer would be :(

Hope she runs good on the 2nd, have fun, stay safe in those "New Belts"

Are both you & Dave going to make a few passes?

Only took my cars to the track a couple of times & had no clue seat belts expired... go figure! They don't expire for street racing do they... asking for a friend! [ddd

BoB

Only took my cars to the track a couple of times & had no clue seat belts expired... go figure! They don't expire for street racing do they... asking for a friend! [ddd

BoB

If your car is quick enough to require a seat belt/shoulder harness, you must use a s.f.i. 16.1 assembly, properly installed. It needs to be replaced every two years. They are date coded when purchased. The theory is that UV rays degrade the material. Lots of people think it is simply a money grab. Some harnesses can be sent to the manufacturer to be rewebbed. But it costs almost as much as buying new.

The really fast street racers you see on cable TV all look to have pro built chassis with NHRA cages and safety equipment. Probably more important on the street where traction is sketchy and the roads are narrow.

Can I have your old useless worn out unsafe belts? :D I promise not to go racing in my next project. :D [ddd

Skip, I can send the old belts to you. I might have a couple sets around if anyone else wants a set. Maybe pay postage.

Skip, I can send the old belts to you. I might have a couple sets around if anyone else wants a set. Maybe pay postage.
Of course I was joking, but I would be delighted to accept your offer. My next project would look great with them. Happy to pay postage. I'll PM you.

In the never ending quest to go quicker, I took the center carb apart and ventured out to The Carb Shop. The owner is very experienced and gives free advice. Bought some jets two sizes richer because some of the plugs indicated it was a bit lean. We'll be running in two weeks so I'll fiddle with timing. Dave has his starting line technique perfected. We should get in the 11.20's. To break into the 10's it will probably require some head porting and a larger cam.

Attachments

• digs 004.jpg
    digs 004.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 42

Latest posts

Back