I'm Gonna Build A Dragster!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2009_0820trk0001.jpg

One of the California HA/GR guys used a Ford truck heater motor to drive his water pump. I copied him. It spins the pump fine at about 600 RPM. If it ever quits raining, I'll run it and make sure it cools.
I redid the fuel tank vent thanks to sg5080's good advice.
Next weekend is 2 days of racing at Brainerd, where a NHRA national race took place last weekend. It is for MSRA members only plus invited nostalgia race cars. Should be a really good time. Free too!

That's one quick Y Block powered digger pictured above.

bir_0111-1.jpg

I'm next!

I ran the car at Brainerd at the MSRA fun run. A free weekend of drag racing for members. Only made 2 runs on Sat. Had to sit in staging for almost an hour prior to each run, in my firesuit. Not fun. The second run was a 15.40 @ 91, so there was .40 improvement from Test and Tune a few weeks earlier.
I now realize it will take a helper to run this thing. This winter more horsepower will be added. Hope to get well into the 12's next season.

waitin in line sure ain't no fun...but i bet hammerin on that "slant" goin down the track was!!

lookin forward to the engine hop up thread!

keep us posted-we'll keep you encouraged:D
HRP

003.jpg

This guy was in the 10's with his very streetable big block sedan. First class construction in this one.

007.jpg

This A sedan with a flattie has been around since the 50's still going strong!

HRP, Yep, it is fun to drive, except for the very slow shifting (a driver problem). The pipes sound good even though the helmet is well padded. I can't afford to do a full engine build. But the stocker runs 175 p.s.i. compression in each cylinder. I'm going to leave the short block alone except for a cam and a severe (.100") cut on the deck for more compression. I disassembled 2 heads and will order oversize valves Tuesday. Then I'll give the best head an amateur porting job. Lots of good information on the 'net about porting the Slant head. And, I have a good friend with an engine machine shop and tons of knowledge.

Bob, the best thing about this whole deal is that you are living the dream most of us have. You decided to do it and you took it to completion. Doesn't matter if you run 20 second quarters or 6 second runs, you are having fun and racking up memories.

Proud of ya bud! :):):):)

Don

Bob, Love the pictures. What I would not do to have a sedan that runs the street ans makes 10 sec passes. That is the best of both worlds.:D:D

What about that 292 & glide that are taking up space in the corner of the shop. Love to see it in the "Silver Bullet". :)

Great site ;);)

Hambster001.jpg

Whoa, what's this? A 904 Torqueflyte automatic transmission found its way into the dragster. I guess it isn't a HA/GR anymore since the rules specify a stick. Anyway, it should be faster and more consistent with the automatic. I changed the brakes from a hand lever on the right side to a foot brake on the left side. Should be better for foot brake launches.

Hambster004.jpg

The floor is modified because of the removal of the scattershield and the Hurst 4 speed shifter. An old B & M Starshifter from a neighbor's '40 Ford will handle the shifting chores. I need a longer driveshaft and a trans cooler and it will be ready for a few driveway passes.

It didn't take long for the racer in you to come out and start making changes Bob W.:D

Man thw front of that 37 (I think) Willys sure is homely looking.

Hambster010.jpg

I didn't like the T radiator shell and the upright radiator. Looked too much like a hot rod set up. I laid the radiator flat between the frame rails. That looked pretty ugly so I made an aluminum nose piece. The nose looks a little bulky but with lettering it should be ok.

Bob, I like your new look, it "LOOKS 11.90's FAST" Just keep pushing, not much time left in the Great North Race Season for T&T. :D

Tom

Now that it looks fast, I'd better make it fast.:D To that end, I've been trying to get ahold of a guy in Lexington, Nebraska. He is regarded as one of the best slant six builders in the country. He is especially good at head work. Unfortunately, he is a hard core old school fellow and doesn't use a computer. When I reach him I will order a ported head with big valves which will really help in the horsepower department.

You know I've been following this project from the begining with great interest. One of the things that I find extremly interesting is the intent from the beginning to be ( in your words Bob ) a humble beginning, and not having to open the wallet, and such things. Now I completely understand the appeal of building a cheap and fun project, but isn't is funny how a few passes get those competative juices flowing. Then it's an upgrade in class, an auto trans and high perf head. :rolleyes: :D

Just givin ya the gears bud. I love it.

Last edited:
roddguy1,
Oh how right you are! After a few runs in the 15 second range I realized that high 11's would be a much more exciting ride. Obviously, starting with a small cubic inch in-line engine means that money must be spent to get close to 300 horsepower. A true economy build would use a small block Chevy or a big inch Caddy, Olds or Pontiac engine bought off Craigslist and stuffed in the chassis in bone stock shape. There's not as much challenge it that, plus the "cool" factor goes down a lot.
The automatic trans really is a cost savings. An almost stock trans will handle the output of the modified slant 6 easily. The stick set up really needs a billet flywheel, a modified small block V8 Mopar SFI bell housing, and SFI clutch and a true 4 speed with slick shift mods and a new shifter. All that adds up to many dollars. In fact, the money saved by going to the automatic will pay for the engine modifications. See, a guy can justify anything!

I don't know how the heck that i missed this build !!!!!!!
I allways wanted to build one of these ,and know i just might!
Now to start looking for parts and info !

Latest posts

Back