I'm Gonna Build A Dragster!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If nothing scattered...i.e. hard parts...

Picked up a rear seal and shoved it in the tail housing today. Went to put the torque converter on and smelled the burnt fluid. That got me thinking.... I'm gonna suck out as much ATF as possible from the converter. Do any experienced transmission guys here on RRR think that is sufficient? If not, what do you recommend?

then you probably would be safe draining the converter out...I'd catch the fluid and check it for particles (other than normal stuff you'll get) if you only see fluid, you probably will be ok...my guess is it burned some clutch discs and maybe a band....727 trans or 904? either way, discolored fluid normally is sign of disc or band wear....JMHO....you can turn that converter upside down and let it drain out.....will get the majority of the fluid out that way, just takes a bit..like hours ...

Apparently the converter I had in the car was a lock up. I had had that one loosened up a bit by Midwest converter. I sucked all the fluid out of it. Putting a plug in it would have been a smart thing to do but I was in a hurry... Unfortunately, the converter would not fit the non-lockup trans I was installing. So I had to grab a used converter from my pile 'o slant 6 parts. Got the car back together last night. On jack stands it did the 1-2 shift.
Took it out on the driveway this morning. It idles fine in gear, even with the stock stall converter. The tracks are from a half throttle launch. Driveway is just too short to accomplish much testing. It really seems to pull hard though.

Your driveway is long enough... just needs to be straightened a touch. :D

Is it safe to assume you're ready for the Meltdown?

Good luck and here's to a... uhhh... 10.20? [ddd

Well...I'm going to the Meltdown Drags this weekend but the dragster is staying home.
I got attacked by a rabid wood tick resulting in an infection which may or may not be Lyme's Disease. I'm on an antibiotic for 21 days and seem to be overly affected by the heat and humidity we have been experiencing.:(
The dragster runs but hauling it 400 miles for its maiden runs with the new set up doesn't make sense. Better to get it sorted out locally, then take it on the road.
They are predicting around 400 racers so getting in a run or two would be all one could expect.
But mainly, I'm a better spectator than racer.[P

Yikes, I hope you recover quickly!
Ticks have gotten out of control here too, friends that live close to woods are having a really tough time keeping their family and pets free of ticks this year..

Thanks for asking, BlueNorther. The car is ready to go to the Super Secret Fun Run at Brainerd the end of August. The Minnesota Street Rod Assn rents the track for the weekend and we get to run for free.
In the meantime, I picked up a bunch of 12 gauge formed channel pieces 6" wide by 57" long. I used them to make ramp extensions for the trailer. The oil pan was hitting the rear crossmember of the trailer. Hopefully, it will clear now.

I used a bunch of the panels to replace the rotting wood decking on the trailer. Lots of welding. Coated it all with Chassis Saver which is like Por15.

The infection has cleared up. Now however, I have an impingement in my shoulder. Doing rehab on it and trying to do all the garage work with one arm. I can use my arm down low but can't raise it away or upward from my body without a lot of pain.

It's tough getting old.:(

(This update starts at the end of the previous page)

Holy Crap Bob.....!!!

glad the tick thing got sorted out....now the shoulder....it isn't easy gettin old....but hang in there man....from one old guy to another...I understand brother.....my best on your rehab....

on a trailer I had, it also rubbed the oil pan and caught and bent the headers.

we added a 2x2 .25" wall tube to the center bottom of the existing 2x4 .125" cross member and then cut away the 2x4 center piece and capped the open tube.

gained 4" of clearance under there. lost 2" of ground clearance, but that didn't seem to matter in that area.

Finished the trailer today. Slow going with the sore shoulder. Added the front chocks which center the front wheels and dictate how far forward the car sets. On the sides of the trailer are uprights that hold the ramp extensions. It's hard to see but I added 2" by 6" boards for a short distance on the deck to raise the front wheels allowing the pan to clear the rear crossmember when loading and unloading.
BlueNorther, your trailer modification was a good one. The "speed bumps" I added are easily removed should I decide to make a more professional modification.

I Like them front wheel chocks, I used a similar system on my last open trailer to locate the car in the same spot every load time, and it raised the front up 3" to allow the doors to clear the fenders.

I see where yours has the ramps under middle of the rear of the car, so your "speed bumps" are a better option for you. my ramps were stored under the trailer frame in a side to side slide in rack.

Now get that thing to the track and burn off some of those shiny new tires.

Update

Everything is loaded for the 150 mile trip to Brainerd International Raceway tomorrow morning. I'll leave at 5:30 and stop for an Egg McMuffin on the way.
The Minnesota Street Rod Assn rents the drag strip for the weekend and we members get to play for free. Have to pass NHRA tech however.
Gonna be pretty hot and I have to wear a class 5 fire suit, even to go slow. That's because it's an open car. For that reason I'l probably run 1/8 mile. Not many participants run the 1/8 so there isn't much waiting time once they are called. That way I won't die from heat prostitution.:D
The engine and trans are untested, except for some driveway runs. So this could be a lot of fun or pretty embarrassing.

Latest posts

Back