1949 Ford bobber build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
last ride of the year

Snow is here and it is time to put the bike away and get back to work on the 49. We had a long summer and I put a lot of miles on the bike this year. did a few upgrades as well. but it is back in storage until the snow leaves in spring and I am back in doing some fabrication.

Attachments

• 20161008_084858.jpg
    20161008_084858.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 44
I didn't like the sharp 90 degree angle between the front of the cab and the bottom of the hood. Always made the lines look wrong. So.. this is what I came up with. I think it makes the lines flow a lot better.

Attachments

• IMG_3020.jpg
    IMG_3020.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_3018.jpg
    IMG_3018.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 85
Sorry to hear about the snow. I don't know how you guys up north don't lose your minds. the winters are too long up there. I like the hood sides. glad to see you're back at it.

Rounded off the corners and welded the flanges in the corners as well. smoothed it all out again.

Attachments

• IMG_3022.jpg
    IMG_3022.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 44
Thanks Guys. Ever since the hood went on for the first time the sharp corner looked wrong. Took a while to see a solution and get the skills to execute it. Thanks to a bunch of guys here inspiration came along.

steering wheel

I cut the centre section out and lathed a disk, transferred three bolt pattern to the disk and welded the disk into the middle of the steering wheel remains. Flipped the wheel and ground off the finger grips. I plan to fill/repair the cracks and paint it black. Bit of work on the planishing hammer on some stainless steel for the centre cover. not sure if it will stay or if it will get replaced with machined aluminium.

I wanted and needed the old truck drop style steering wheel to make up for a column that is a little long.

Not sure what I am going to do with the bare spoke but thinking on it.

Attachments

• IMG_3026.jpg
    IMG_3026.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_3029.jpg
    IMG_3029.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 37
That is too cool [cl I love it when someone needs something that is not off the shelf so they just think about it and make it [;)
The bare spooks kind a look cool as is[S

Nice job on the wheel gold.
I would make the spokes bare down to the outer rim and buff them up a little bit.
Or Maybe leave an inch of the covering going up the spoke from the wheel rim and dress the edge up so that it doesn't look cut off.:cool: :cool:
Torchie

Latest posts

Back