1949 Ford bobber build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the feed back guys. Its been so hot here I haven't been working on it much. Alberta is usually dry weather and its been humid and hot. Well... hot for a guy who is used to shovelling snow.

Rainman, I will think about your j-bar suggestion. I was concerned about the bar flexing under load. I might be able to use a lower mount and a slight curve. Will consider it. I could also add a gusset. Hmmm.

I am hoping to work all day on it today. Right now I can't sleep. Its to hot:mad:

gold03

Its gone from blistering hot and dry to pouring rain. Two inches today they say.

I managed to get some more work on my grill done. The sheet metal under the grill will get the ends trimmed on a slight curve from the top down slightly toward the centre. Then I will fab up some end pieces for it.

Once the sheet metal is painted matt black and the chrome is back on it should look pretty good.

gold03

Attachments

• IMG_0821.jpg
    IMG_0821.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0820.jpg
    IMG_0820.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 150
Thanks guys.

I wanted to extend that bottom piece a little so this is what I did. Originally it sat under the grill between the frame rails. The piece above that right under the grill is what sat right above the grill in stock form. Some of the photos are kinda crapy, but you can see what I did. The small insert is another portion of front fender wheel opening just reshaped, and welded together. I cut it off the top of the sides of my grill.

It will need a little piece on each end to finish it off.

Earthman, you asked about paint. My plan is to paint the truck all matt black. Everything, engine, frame, body, then put the original chrome back on with a little metal shaping to try and repair some minor damage and a little polish. I found I really like the Por 15 rust paint. You can put it on with a brush on a cool day and it just smooths itself out. It is tough as nails, and can be touched up OK.

I figure If I carry a little Por 15 in my truck so I can assist in repairing the poor slob's vehicle that happens to bump into me in a parking lot... A little brush action, and they are ready to go.[ddd

I think its important to save some of the big fat curves from these trucks when you tear them down. So many possibilities.[;)

Attachments

• IMG_0822.jpg
    IMG_0822.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0824.jpg
    IMG_0824.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0825.jpg
    IMG_0825.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0826.jpg
    IMG_0826.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0827.jpg
    IMG_0827.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0828.jpg
    IMG_0828.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0829.jpg
    IMG_0829.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0830.jpg
    IMG_0830.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0831.jpg
    IMG_0831.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 105
Gold03, You may check out "KD 517" clearance light. This is the light that we are using on our build. I'm guessing it's a 30's/40's art deco style clearance light. The glass was offered in a few different colors, amber,blue, red, milk(white). There are other companies from that era that have similiar lights. Check them out on the Bay.

HTH,Rex

Thanks guys!

ZZ, thats exactly what I'm looking for. I love those things. I've always thought new trucks should have them. eBay has a bunch I might have to go there or start haunting the farm fields here in Alberta.

I got my Rubicon on ready to go and am heading out for the trails this week end. Can't wait. :D

gold03

Here is a picture of my gold03:) I also decided to add a gusset to my panhard bar mount. I picked these up from a buddy who made em up for his off road shop.

gold03

Attachments

• IMG_0835.jpg
    IMG_0835.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 55
  • panhard bracket gusset.jpg
    panhard bracket gusset.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 78
I goot find time to start flogging on this thing again. out four wheeling and camping for a few week ends. Its the diesel drags here in Edmonton this weekend, so saturday is a bust.

I did get my drive shaft off to the shop to get a trim. They said pick it up next week:(

gold03

Latest posts

Back