Finding Old Tin

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chop509

Infamous Dirty '34
I believe awhile ago, either here or on KB, someone was asking “how do you find old tin”.

Here’s an example:
I work in an industrial part of town and have been out taking walks around the neighborhood during lunch hour (doc’s orders).
Yesterday, about a block from where I work, somewhat hidden from view in a chain link fenced area I notice what I believe is an early 30’s Chevy truck.
If a person was driving by, they probably wouldn’t ever see it.

So today, with camera in hand, I went back and took a closer look. Snapped a couple of pics (will post tonight), and asked around as to who owns the property.
Found out that it is owned by the scrap metal yard next door, so I went over and talked with the owner of the business. He said he thinks it’s a ’32, doors and grille are long gone, but he’d take $500 for what’s left.

I’d load this thing up in a minute if the doors were there, but my guess is doors would be pretty tough to locate. Someone here might know of some out there, and if you’re interested in this cab, I’d be more than happy to turn you onto its location.

The point of my story is there still is tin out there if you keep your eyes open.

Jeff

I can vouch for what you're saying. I just drive around the country around here and start talking to people. Most of the time they're nice and will give you directions to gold mines. Since A's and T's don't weigh very much they aren't worth scraping, I'm finding out that the owners give them to me.

I don't know how it is in other parts of the country, but on any given day I could drive around and within an hour find loads of old tin just waiting to be rescued.

A friend of mine drives through the alleys on South Central, Los Angles. He stands in the back of a pickup to look into backyards. He finds a lot of old cars that way. Another friend of mine saw a 53' Chevy 210, 2 dr parked along side of a house in the same neighborhood. Asked the resident if it was for sale. She wanted $150. He DROVE it home after hooking up a new battery.

That stuff is still out there.

Here's a couple pic's, tough to see, but cab and fenders are solid.

Attachments

• '32 Chevy PU 1.JPG
    '32 Chevy PU 1.JPG
    172 KB · Views: 39
  • '32 Chevy PU 2.JPG
    '32 Chevy PU 2.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 32
What is that big yellow thing behind it? Is it just me or does it have potential as well as the other?

Actually I didn't look at it that close, the view in the pics is the only view there is. The guy did tell me that everything in there is for sale.

Jeff

great start there Jeff, I am in Cheney now and have my 33 in the carport starting the build this weekend ( if the girlfriend doesnt try to change plans hehehe) Good to see you are still around.

Jim

Keep your eyes open!

Just goes to show, lots of good stuff might turn up if you just keep your eyes peeled!

ISore

great start there Jeff, I am in Cheney now and have my 33 in the carport starting the build this weekend ( if the girlfriend doesnt try to change plans hehehe) Good to see you are still around.

Jim

Hey, howzit Jim?
You better hurry up, with the way the weather has cooled off I think your days are numbered for working in the carport :(.

Latest posts

Back