Gas Explosion

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gassersgarage

The California Kid
Found this on another site......
GasExplosion.jpg

I think that one needs to be run by the guys at Mythbusters. LOL I once got into an argument over a cigarette igniting gasoline. It ended with tossing a lit cigarette into a bucket of gasoline and just as I suspected, the cigarette just went out. I'm pretty sure you would actually need a spark to ignite the gasoline. Not to mention that would need to be a rather large bowl of gasoline dumped in the toilet to be diluted by all the water in there and still pack enoough explosive punch to blow a man off a toilet and out of the bathroom. Sounds like one of those urban legends.

When I lived in northern California a guy two houses down was stripping his kitchen floor with a mop and gasoline. All went well until he used the mop in a closet area where the gas fired hot water tank was...need I tell the rest?:eek:

I worked in a Mobil Station while in High School. We all smoked while gassing cars. Then one day, a guy I worked with was smoking. You could see the flame arcing across the air towards the gas tank and everybody took off running. Car burned to the ground. Never smoked while around gas after that.

It's the fumes that are flammable and explosive. Oxygen plus gas.

I think that one needs to be run by the guys at Mythbusters. LOL I once got into an argument over a cigarette igniting gasoline. It ended with tossing a lit cigarette into a bucket of gasoline and just as I suspected, the cigarette just went out. I'm pretty sure you would actually need a spark to ignite the gasoline. Not to mention that would need to be a rather large bowl of gasoline dumped in the toilet to be diluted by all the water in there and still pack enoough explosive punch to blow a man off a toilet and out of the bathroom. Sounds like one of those urban legends.

It IS an urban legend........heard this one about 15 years ago, slightly different scenario, but same story basically.

However, we did have a friend who was a Pa State Trooper, and he went into a bathroom stall at a restaurant while on duty, and as he was pulling up his pants his pistol went off in the holster and blew the toilet to smitherines. Long time ago so facts are a little foggy, but I think the gun got caught and caused it to discharge.
Don

Yeah, right. There wouldn't be enough fumes in the bowl to do more than a little "whuff"! Burns maybe, but blow him right off the throne? NOT!

Latest posts

Back