Cuba's stash!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripper

Older and more rusted every day!
I just read an articlee about people breaking the law by visiting Cuba. The picture shows a '52-'53 Chevy driving down the street. That reminded me of a special I saw once how the Cubans were masters at keeping their old cars running since they haven't been able to get new one's or parts for decades. Can u imagine what will happen when that deadlock finally breaks!!! ALL those old cars will be a treasure trove for someone! Justa thought... when do we leave?!?!

BoB

We have a little different problem here in South Florida. Some Cubans strap barrels to a Buick and use it to make the 90 mile trip to pay us a little visit. They usually bring about 20 of their best friends with them. :D:D

There was actually one a few years back where they built a pontoon setup out of barrels and had a Chevy pickup bolted on top with the driveshaft running a propeller.......................very inventive people.

Couple of months ago my Son Don sold his '29 foot Carver on Ebay. Two Cubans bought it, and the first question they asked when they came to pick it up was how much gas it held, plus they brought a bunch of 18 gallon Jerry cans with them and loaded them aboard. Wonder how many trips that boat has made to Cuba and back by now?????????:D:D

Don

Hehe, some real vintage tin there too. Sad part is, when the Coast Guard finds one of these "vessels" they off load the people and then machine gun the thing and sink it. Lots of future rat rods sitting on the bottom of the ocean. :eek:

Don

I`ve worked with a bunch of Cuban guys and they are some of the best mechanics I have ever seen , the problem with the cars is , they have all been adapted to use whatever parts they have on hand , so working on them will be a big problem , I have seen a set of hand whittled wood brake shoes , thank God for Auto Zone..............

Poncho, Poncho... gimme a Poncho!!!

I`ve worked with a bunch of Cuban guys and they are some of the best mechanics I have ever seen , the problem with the cars is , they have all been adapted to use whatever parts they have on hand , so working on them will be a big problem , I have seen a set of hand whittled wood brake shoes , thank God for Auto Zone..............

Er... just say no to wooden brake shoes!!! I would just love to have some of theose old bodies & would put in all new suspensions & runnin' gear... that would b awesome! Love to get an early '50's Poncho!!!

BoB

On the other hand it would give you that smokey BBQ atmosphere that would make you drive straight to the nearest rib joint:D just make sure you roll up on that parking bumper slow.......

Here is the photo in that article!!!

Gastrick,
Wow... I did a double take! Here is the foto in the article I was talkin' about!!! Looks like they're stuck in the 50's.

BoB

Attachments

• cubachev.jpg
    cubachev.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 7
One of the republican canadates is claiming if he gets elected, he`s dropping all trade embargoes with cuba, that will mean we will have free run on all this great metal. I work with a bunch of cubans, and they have been trying to get it out for years, they realize they could make millions of this stuff. Unfortunatlly for us poor folk, as soon as this opens, people with more money than god will buy it all up and sell it for u.s. prices. But i will keep a line on my cuban friends, so maybe we can get a edge on this.

Latest posts

Back