youtube Too Colorful!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pacrat1

I have a 1951 Studebaker project that I will start on down the road. I have heard a lot about using s10 chassis, with Studes. On youtube there is a mechanic critiquing a customer's Studebaker on an s10 frame. His description of the craftsmanship is quite colorful. Would this content be considered out of place on this cite?

We generally think of ourselves as a family site. If you wouldn't want your 10 year old daughter watching it over your shoulder, then probably no. Even though we do share things a little more risque than that occasionally, usually tongue in cheek stuff a kid wouldn't get, or something in a swimsuit.
If you want to post the link, I'd say do it with a warning of the colorful language so others don't have to open it. But I'm not a mod and that's all just my interpretation of the rules and what we see go on.

Thank you for your quick reply. I won't put a link to the cite. If you are curious, you can go to youtube, and look up" How to wreck a studebaker part 1 & 2". Parental discretion advised for language. It' an example of a great idea, and poor execution. [S

It really wasn't that bad, only heard the F bomb once. But it seems he was hacking the truck a lot more than it deserved just because the guy didn't restore it. The guy seemed like one of those people who tried to make himself look smart buy degrading some one else's project.

The two points that interested me were: Starting with a rusted out s10 frame and blocks of wood between the body an chassis. The jagged sheet metal underneath didn't help. I could just see, locking up disc brakes all 'round, and the body sliding off the chassis. I agree that his arrogance and nitpicking about the paint didn't help his case.

I personally am not knocking the truck for not being restored. I was searching the interweb for any option for putting my 1951 champion back on the road. I'm not one for reinventing the wheel. I want to see everything that has been tried before. [;)

That build deserved some of the criticism. Expanda-foam is even worse than the wood blocks - that stuff holds moisture worse than a rag. (I assume the cab was bolted to the frame and the blocks were used as dampers) Some other hacked stuff but most of it is fixable. That dash though...uhg!

At least they didn't start a chop and ruin it that way.

That build deserved some of the criticism. Expanda-foam is even worse than the wood blocks - that stuff holds moisture worse than a rag. (I assume the cab was bolted to the frame and the blocks were used as dampers) Some other hacked stuff but most of it is fixable. That dash though...uhg!

At least they didn't start a chop and ruin it that way.

Ford used wood blocks for decades to bolt the body to the frame. Well, not 2x4s and redi-bolt but still wood.
And you are hitting a little close to home on the spray foam,lol. I'm guilty of using it a couple times. Like on my rusted out Subaru wagon 1/4 panels to keep the cabin from filling with dust on gravel roads.
But over all, those are really some sloppy points of contention on the build. If he was on here as a member, we would probably be a little more gentle in our assessment.

The video quality is awful, but I think I see a SK plate on that thing. :eek:

Looks to me, like the S10 firewall, dash and floor pan are grafted into the Stude. Looking underneath (part 2) the two floor pans are BOLTED together, at least the parts I can see.

I find the whole issue somewhat amusing, aside from the safety issues. I like when he rubs the little brass lamp, waits a second and says, "nothin'." :D

And you are hitting a little close to home on the spray foam,lol. I'm guilty of using it a couple times. Like on my rusted out Subaru wagon 1/4 panels to keep the cabin from filling with dust on gravel roads.

I admit I've used it too - plugged rust holes to keep the winter air outside the cab. Not something I would do to anything I wanted to save though.

Latest posts

Back