Smallfoot's AA

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some hillbilly cab squaring

Got firewall cut and enough framing inside to set it on. Although I have it marked to go lower in the front, I put the level on the body lines and as it sits, it's down a hair in front already. When the top goes on, it'll get a different look. I've got a rake on the frame that may change a little later. When I got it all unhooked and the chassis off the dollies, I couldn't do nothin but smile...

makin the box

Waiting on some front parts so the other end gets some attention. Making the box frame. Tacked frame where I can take it off. 4 mounts on it. Looks pretty straight with the body lines. I'm cramped for room for a side pic inside. Light isn't helping either, but anyway, does it look like it's flowing wih the body lines? Top rails are temp thin wall to get the visual.

Front parts arrived about 30 minutes ago....dang it...been sitting all day at my bud's address waiting for big brown...another day shot in the butt...
Everybody needs something to look forward to I guess:rolleyes:

Well, at least you weren't still working at 8:00 at night like the delivery guy. :rolleyes: The AA is starting to look pretty dang cool.

Sorry Sam, hate to rag on your boys and I really thought about that aspect too. I retired from a public service company after 30+ years and know what it is to still be out this time of the year, this time of night, in territory where seeing anything like a street address is harry while trying to manuever regular traffic. I might bitch, but I always appreciate getting my stuff. I just wish there was a little better coverage out here and a little closer window for delivery. Tracking said it would be delivered today, and it was. I shipped to an easy to find address, right on a main road, no crazy directions just so they wouldn't have to find me in the woods. My friends were home up till 930 am and I waited there from a little after 10 am until after 6 pm and figured it wouldn't be today. Get a call about an hour after I got home from the wait, only to find out they delivered after I left. No calls to my reach number, no email with any additional tracking after "out for delivery"
Just tired of sitting on my butt, 23 miles from my project...sorry for the rant! I made no complaints, no calls...I got my stuff...I'm just blowing off steam

Yessir, with that set up, it shouldn't do bad. I'm gonna run it that way for a while. I've got a 250 Chevy motor I'm building now, but also have my old sbc sitting over there whining...I'll get it running then decide on "what next"

That motor was supposed to be a 232 Torque Command. The Model 1971 DJ5 was a missnomer as that model was also produced in atleast 1972. About then some changes were made. They used the 258 block with the 232 heads. Pushed the frame out 3". That moved the starter to the passenger side. Some were right hand drives and some were not...mine was. The motor and tranny combo have only 800 miles on a rebuild. It'll be a sound motor but not very impressive as is. Should be a good runner. I'm keeping everything as simple as possible. Electronic ignition in future for the other motors, but nothing but necessary wiring for lights and electronics....no computer controlled stuff, 1-wire alternator,,,,just simple. I'm already getting the feel for it and haven't even fashioned a temp seat to go vroom vroom yet...

Sorry Sam....

No prob, I was just sayin' his day was probably sucking worse than yours. ;) Here's a couple hints though: They do businesses first and then residences, so odds are your stuff won't get dropped til early afternoon at best and probably not til after 5 or 6 depending how overloaded the truck is. OR you can call UPS a couple day before and ask them to hold it for pick up - then go pick it up at 8am.

Thanks Torchie! Every little step makes a difference. I thought I wasted the whole day today until I realized all that planning you do in your head has to be considered progress too. I got my pedals out and got my master cylinder out and I got the wiring pile with switches and gadgets out to inspect and suspect likely ways of making it work. I'll get pix of the pieces tomorrow but what a wad. This chassis was right hand drive originally so the accelerator is a cross over arraingement. That shouldn't be a problem to figure out. The master cylinder on these were frame mounted below the floor....right side again. Well. would fit right back on the right side but now it's going on the left. Doesn't fit there so some repositioning will occur and maybe a swap in direction to the box. I scored the old wiring harness too and everything is on it too, so it's un-jumbling time at the barn. I even got the turn signals all in that pile with bulbs still attached here and there in the pile. At least the guy was throurogh when he took it out. Nothing is cut but it sure is tangled up...be like a big jigsaw puzzle.
Not much for physical tasks done today. I did snug everything up in the front end as it is sitting the way it will be now. Set the inclonometer at 6/7 degrees on the front axle and set the curtis bars to that. Placed the fan on with a new spacer to improve a clearance issue. Measured for the new driveshaft length so I can go to Advanced Driveline and get it lengthened. Got the brake pedal all the way to the mounting bracket which includes a little pillow block. All I need to do is position some frame work to hang that on once I get the MC position figured out and an extended push arm. Feel like my brain is tired from figuring but don't feel like much "work" was really done...:rolleyes:

Hey Sam, I know what you mean. The idea of pick up at their office is what made me go to another address for shipment. Seems I get a non-delivery notices where I live when trying to get shipped packages. Picking up at their office is 55 miles one way for me. I thought that's why I paid shipping costs was to get the package delivered to me, not themselves. And I'm not trying to just be argumentative with you but no, his day didn't suck worse than mine. He was being paid for his job and if he worked overtime he got paid well. His day was likely busy which made it go quickly. I sat in a driveway for over 8 hours with nothing to do but talk to the dogs. Couldn't do any work on anything I have because I was 13 miles from home sitting in a driveway. I also didn't get to make any money...
Sorry man! when you're looking at your 63 birthday, wasted days are a premium.

Never got loose in the cold metal building today but managed to put some more moves on the bed frame. Found some 1 1/4 galvanized water pipe to use for top rail. Ground most of the galvanizing off before doing any welding. Got some thick wall stuff that's pretty tuff. Removed the temporary bracing. Ready to take it off the bed and do some sheet metal work. Also trying to set up my beadroller where I can do some work on the sides. Mostly cleaning the area around my forge where I can use the bench top to do the rolling on bed panels. Framework is pretty stout and I'll have to use a hoist to get it off by myself. I don't think I can lift it off.

Thanks guys! I'm a little behind in posting but wanted some progress to show in the next set of pix. cutting and fitting sheetmetal for the bed and playing with the bead roller. I'll be back later today with some I hope.

I think this stuff I have is 20 ga. I would liked to have used something like 18 or 16 but it's what I had. There'll be 2 panels per side. Fairly narrow but long with solid bracing from end to end. And the added beads will help alot with stiffening. I just got some of the welding done on one skirt piece before the natural light was gone. I'll start in again in the morning. Got the 2 skirt pieces made. Cornfield Customs will probably be rolling around on his shop floor laughing but this is my first attenpt at bead rolling. I used a Woodward Fabs bead roller I picked up cheap that was still in plastic wrap. All the dies still with it. I haven't done anything but test roll a few scraps to see what the dies each did. If I was going to do much of this, I'd certainly look into a more permanent arrangement for a table and change the single arm crank handle to a wheel. It was not easy working it by myself on these long pieces. I had everything drawn out and followed the lines the best I could. Next time I'll have a better idea of what I can do. I had the presence of mind to line the edges that are hitting good metal with small holes drilled 1 inch apart. Came out really easy to stick it down with the wire feed.

These short days make me feel like I'm not accomplishing much...maybe I'm just slow. Seems like the sun is going down about time you feel like you're leaning into it good. I'll get the top panels made tomorrow. I'll need to make a break in one place but those panels will be easier to cut and weld up. The bead on them will be a simple rectangle. The front piece is all one piece and will plug weld it all over. I'll spend a little while changing some things on the roller, but that will speed up the panels too. Thanks for checking in...

Latest posts

Back