Binary Ignition Switch?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmlcolorado

This idea has been rolling around in my empty brain for a while.
I think it would be fun to axe the keyed ignition switch and replace it with a series of regular toggle switches.
1 letter in binary ends up being a string of 1's and 0's, 8 digits long.
You wouldn't want a full word, since each letter would be 8 digits, but you could come up with a 2 letter or 2 number chain that is meaningful to you.
Your initials, day and month of kids birthday, something like that.

In my case, I'd use "IH", as in International Harvester.
In binary that results in "01001001 01001000".
Wire up a set of toggle switches where 1 is ON, and 0 is OFF. Only the correct sequence of on's/off's complete the circuit to power the vehicle, then a simple push button to activate the starter.
In my example, my switches would look like this:

I think it would be a fun conversation starter :)
After a while (not long in my case as the code appears fairly simple) you'd learn the code by heart and know which switches to ouch up/down to provide power. Plus it would confuse the heck outta your passengers :)

I've thought of the same thing. Not necessarily binary, but a sequence of switches anyway. I'm not going to have keys for mine. The drawbacks though: $100 worth of switches, and you'd probably end up just switching one of the switches off and on, and leaving the rest.
Whenever someone brings up binary code, I automatically think "10001110101".

I've thought of the same thing. Not necessarily binary, but a sequence of switches anyway. I'm not going to have keys for mine. The drawbacks though: $100 worth of switches, and you'd probably end up just switching one of the switches off and on, and leaving the rest.
Whenever someone brings up binary code, I automatically think "10001110101".

The song from Clutch is what made me think of it. It's a really easy sequence if you know the song, and not many people would get what it was, unless you told them. Even if they know the song.
If I saw a string of 11 switches, I wouldn't automatically think of the song.

I bet you could grab a "lot" of switches on flee bay pretty reasonable.
The main reason I was thinking of binary is in case you forgot the exact sequence, you could look it up pretty easily.

And if resistance load becomes an issue, simple relays to provide power, and the switches just provide signal would fit the bill.

I'm like you, I'd probably only leave 1 switch broken out of sequence, unless in a untrustworthy neighborhood, or at a car show or something like that. Then I'd scramble it so nobody happens to hit the right one.

Just have to cut the two wires that will go to all those switches, wire them together and drive off.Lol

Just have to cut the two wires that will go to all those switches, wire them together and drive off.Lol

I KNEW someone would chime in with that :).
In that case you do two things.
1) make an under dash mount to hold all the switches and associated wiring. Make this out of 1/8" plate all welded together. On the back, have a metal door with notches on the bottom for the wires to pass through. Hinge on the bottom, shackle lock on the top. So when you look at it from below, the thing looks like Fort Knox.

2) junk yard day to snag at least 2 cars wiring harnes at the steering column. You want the fat bundle with 7 zillion wires. Take 3' of each.
Now, install 1 3' bundle of wires coming out the box (dead ends inside the box so you can't see it's hooked to anything) then string the other end into a newer model fuse box assembly (dead end the wires inside here too) mounted to the firewall. So is some smart alick comes along and decided to cut the two wires to power the vehicle, they'll see 14 billion wires total and will never know which 2 are the key players.
:D

What else ya got? [P

Oh.......I get it....

you wire a hidden switch that feeds a relay that feeds another switch feeding another relay that feeds the 11 other switches.....:eek:...That'll fool them waskly wabbits..... :D [cl

I used to have an old Nova that would only start if you put it in 3rd gear........of course you had to have a couple friends to push you about 5 mph too :eek: They finally chipped in and bought me a starter. :p

I like your switch idea....it's fun to mess with people on stuff like that. :cool:

I think it would be fun to label each one with something like the Batmobile "Set Turbines to speed", "Passenger Seat Ejection", or get silly "Guacamole Dispenser", "Trunk Monkey", "Cowbell Solo", "Passenger Gender Change", etc.

I actually had a switch panel in my Jeep Wrangler that I put in after it was almost stolen. The thief had already busted off the ignition collar, but must have been spooked. I decided to put a switch to control my fuel pump. It was mixed in with a bunch of light switches for rock lights, so it wasn't obvious. It was a two position switch that either cut on the fuel pump or it cut on a warning light on the dash. If the light was on, I knew the pump was off, but nobody else knew. If someone tried to steal it again, it would run just long enough to run the existing fuel pump pressure to below the regulator and cut off again, unable to restart. I figure a thief that got it started once, would continue to try, giving me some time to adjust his skull with a baseball bat.

I dunno. What happens when it quits running in the middle of an intersection and you need to crank it right fast but forget which switch the starter is on? [S Or accidentally hit the switches going down the road, it dies, and you have to reset a bunch of switches? [S

I think I'd just put in a hidden switch to kill the coil and or the fuel pump.

Seams like a lot of work for the same result as having 3 wires on an ignition switch. Just my .02

I like the nerdiness of the idea, but when it comes to practicality I have the same question.

Plus all the ideas the OP had for dummy wires and all that seems like a lot of unnecessary work to make something work that isn't that functional in the first place?

In my mind rat rodding is about making something functional out of things you normally wouldn't use for that purpose, while being as minimalist as possible. Having 16 switches just to get power to a push-button ignition switch seems to scream out "PAY ATTENTION TO ME!!!!". No?

I like the nerdiness of the idea, but when it comes to practicality I have the same question.

Plus all the ideas the OP had for dummy wires and all that seems like a lot of unnecessary work to make something work that isn't that functional in the first place?

In my mind rat rodding is about making something functional out of things you normally wouldn't use for that purpose, while being as minimalist as possible. Having 16 switches just to get power to a push-button ignition switch seems to scream out "PAY ATTENTION TO ME!!!!". No?

I agree with most of your points, however, there are quite a few RatRods that aren't particle at all. Not something you'd choose to drive to work each and every day. Not to say there aren't a TON who do.
And a ratrod kinda IS a 'look at me' vehicle, just like a crisp painted, chrome covered hot rod. And even daily drivers with big lift kits and huge tires.

Of course the most practical ignition switch is a keyed ignition, but where's the fun in that?

I think the multiple-switch is very functional, even if it is a hard way to do it. It turns the car off/on, while providing a level of protection against unauthorized use. Just a different way of doing things.

Latest posts

Back