Wood is good.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if anyone is still looking but here we go......
Carved the new lower transom bow to shape this morning. New bolts and screws have been ordered. This piece will get the ends cut off to size then 2 coats of CPES. Once installed I can move forward on laminating the new chines.
Thanks for stopping by....
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_4424.JPG
    IMG_4424.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4426.JPG
    IMG_4426.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4428.JPG
    IMG_4428.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4429.JPG
    IMG_4429.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4430.JPG
    IMG_4430.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4431.JPG
    IMG_4431.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4432.JPG
    IMG_4432.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4423.JPG
    IMG_4423.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 9
"Not sure if anyone is still looking but here we go......"
Ya, you will not gonna get off that easy :rolleyes:

This is exactly what my boat would look like if I were to refinish one like you have [ddd

attachment.php

Thanks Guys....:)
I'm a bit ashamed to say it but I burnt more then one wooden boat hull back in the 70's. Most were way to far gone to restore .........at that time. :eek: Now of course, it's a different story.........:eek:
Torchie

Glad to see your back at the boat.[P

Thanks. The handicap bathroom remodel I did took up most of the last two weeks. Andprior to that it was just too darn hot. I will be bouncing back and forth between the boat and the Custom Dodge.

I imagine a few of them were lost to keeping warm where you live...[ddd:D

LOL No Doubt. We were so lazy back then we didn't even take off the hardware smallfoot. Pulled the drive trains and the windshield if they one . Lit them up and then raked thru the ashes to get the brass screws and metal parts to sell to the scrap yard. We bought beer with the money.....:D
Torcie

I'm still watching.[P

Me to [P[P I would imagine all the screws need to have a pre-drill prevent splitting?

Thanks Gang.:)
Pre drilled as well as deeply countersunk Dozer. And to make things really interesting there are 2- 5/16 x 7" long carriage bolts that go thru the new transom bow and only part way in the stringers where there is a slot cut into the wood for the nuts and washer. I will have to get the nut into that slot . This is all based o me being able to drill thru the new piece and hit the old hole in the stringer Exactly....:eek:
I will post pics of that when I get to it.
Torchie

Fasteners arrived in the mail today so I temp screwed the new transom piece into position. This will have 8-3" screws as well as 2 carriage bolts holding it to the frame. If you think it's a important piece you would be right.:D
You can see by the pic of the old one how many screws end up going into it.
You can also see in the pics the slot for the nut and washer for the carriage bolt. The hole for the bolt to go thru that stringer into the slot is still there and I have to hit it when I drill thru the new transom.
I also pulled the OG chines out of the lumber loft and put them back in place so I can use them as a guide when cutting off the ends of the new transom bow. The chine runs to the end of the transom bow and then gets screwed into it.
That will be tomorrows first job...
Thanks for checking up on me.
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_4451.JPG
    IMG_4451.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4452.JPG
    IMG_4452.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4450.JPG
    IMG_4450.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4448.JPG
    IMG_4448.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4441.JPG
    IMG_4441.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4439.JPG
    IMG_4439.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4437.JPG
    IMG_4437.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4445.JPG
    IMG_4445.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 8
Got quite hot here today but I managed to get the transom bow piece finished.
Trimmed the ends. Did a little more shaping. Countersunk and pre drilled the screw holes followed by 2 coats of CPES.
Next time it goes on it will be installed for good.
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_4463.JPG
    IMG_4463.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4466.JPG
    IMG_4466.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4461.JPG
    IMG_4461.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4459.JPG
    IMG_4459.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4458.JPG
    IMG_4458.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4457.JPG
    IMG_4457.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 6
I hope the boat owner appreciates ($$$) all the fine work you are doing.

The boat owner is my Brother -in-law, bob. He was up in the area fishing over the 4th and stopped by to see the project. He was very happy with how it is turning out.
I offered to take on the boat last summer when I had nothing going and was bored out of my mind. I didn't start on it until around Thanksgiving. I still look to have the bottom on and the hull flipped back over this fall.
Tomorrow is going to be a "Dodge in the garage day".......:D
Thanks for looking in...
Torchie

Been a month since my last wooden boat post.:eek:
I installed the new lower transom bow this morning. Screwed and bolted.
Those 2 long bolts were a PITA but they are in.
I used the original chine and some old bolts to line everything up. Just when I think that I can't drill as straight hole anymore I see the factory ones. lol
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_4853.jpg
    IMG_4853.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4854.jpg
    IMG_4854.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4857.jpg
    IMG_4857.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4858.jpg
    IMG_4858.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4851.jpg
    IMG_4851.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4848.jpg
    IMG_4848.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 12

Attachments

• rss.JPG
    rss.JPG
    16.7 KB · Views: 6
https://www.google.ca/search?q=rss+structural+screws&rlz=1C1VSNG_enCA724CA724&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjmme-wstncAhUhMn0KHTetAHkQ_AUICigB&biw=1225&bih=533#imgrc=Gd01R9dKPZTHRM:

I used these recently. You need not predrill, they come in a large variety of lengths.

Washer is built in ; torks drive, doesn't matter how dry the wood is, it does not bind. Goes through hardwood like butter.

Predrills for shank clearance.

I've seen screws like that used for construction but never boat building. Don't think I want to be the first......[ddd
Torchie

Latest posts

Back