Custom Mopar ????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You aren't fooling us, you can make anything fit so get with it :rolleyes:
[P[P[P

I am trying for the "Work smarter. Not harder" approach to this one OI.
Well maybe not. Or I wouldn't have bought a shell. [ddd

I had known of this wreck for about 2 weeks before I went to look at it. In that time I started to look into Dodge customs to see what's out there from back in the day and now.
Not much to offer from back in the day. Most of them were Plymouths. The Chrysler family of cars were not exactly prime custom fodder.
First and last pics show the Leroy French Plymouth that got some magazine coverage. I like the grill treatment.
Last 2 pic are a couple of newer builds.
I don't dig the heavy chop on the grey/gray one. I like the black one much better. and from the looks of the bumpers it's a Dodge.
Pics courtesy of Rik Hovings CCC site
Torchie

Attachments

• Leroy-french-1949-plymouth.jpg
    Leroy-french-1949-plymouth.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 28
  • P7100043vi1-vi.jpg
    P7100043vi1-vi.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 33
  • asphaltInvit20066-vi.jpg
    asphaltInvit20066-vi.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 400px-Leroy-french-49-plymouth2.jpg
    400px-Leroy-french-49-plymouth2.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 30
Here is one more.
This is a 1949 Dodge Coronet.
I not much of a slammed to the ground kind of guy but I like the chop porportions on this one as well.
Torchie

Attachments

• ab89812e706de2d3ee88a4f35106effa.jpg
    ab89812e706de2d3ee88a4f35106effa.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 41
Like the Coronet.

Here are a couple shots of a 51 Plymouth custom that I kept as an idea for mine if I ever get to it.

Attachments

• 51ply21222-A.jpg
    51ply21222-A.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 51ply21222-C.jpg
    51ply21222-C.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 17
I don't know on that old of a MoPar, but I remember reading on some from the 70's like the Cuda and Challenger that even though they had basically the same body style and shape, none of the sheetmetal would interchange between the two. You'd think a lot of it would interchange since they all look so similar. Here's one for you, but it's a long way from you, probably close to 200 miles south of me!

https://mobile.craigslist.org/cto/d/1952-plymouth-cranbrook-club/6548107336.html

And here's another about 100 miles east of me

https://bham.craigslist.org/cto/d/1950-plymouth/6564714356.html

Like the Coronet.

Here are a couple shots of a 51 Plymouth custom that I kept as an idea for mine if I ever get to it.

I like the hooded front lights and looks like they used Merc tail lights Skip

I have seen that one before Dr. It looks like a stock Plymouth grill on there which I like as well.

The 50 Plymouth looks just like the 50 Dodge I am getting Bama. Grill is slightly different from Plymouth to Dodge as is the tail lights. In my neck of the woods some fool would want $4000 for that car.:eek:
Torchie

Until I get the car here and back together it is all strictly conjecture on my part but i am thinking some where around a 3-4 " chop at the front and then lower the rear till it looks good. leave the rear window intact and just lay it forward to get more of a slope.
Any one like these 3 would be :cool:
Torchie

Attachments

• 6dybty.jpg
    6dybty.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 19
  • asphaltInvit20066-vi.jpg
    asphaltInvit20066-vi.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 21
  • ab89812e706de2d3ee88a4f35106effa.jpg
    ab89812e706de2d3ee88a4f35106effa.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 16
I believe this one resides in Florida. I think I recognize the place in the pic.
attachment.php

Attachments

• dodgecoronet.jpg
    dodgecoronet.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 128
That's Bert Gustesans(sp) car that I have seen many times over on the CCC site.
Very cool. It looks like he used a rear window from a different vehicle. Plus. He really shortened up the bottom of the trunk lid.
Torchie

No fear in this lad. I like this car.

Smooooth eman.:D
Thanks. Looks like a 2 door sedan converted turned into a convert. Great job on the windshield and I like the shape of the skirts.:cool:
Looks like they used a modified Chevy grill as well.
Thanks for the pics.
Torchie

Smooooth eman.:D
Thanks. Looks like a 2 door sedan converted turned into a convert. Great job on the windshield and I like the shape of the skirts.:cool:
Looks like they used a modified Chevy grill as well.
Thanks for the pics.
Torchie
Its a 51, and that is the stock grille. Might be a "converted" business coupe.

The grille keeps making me think of a home made Hudson one from about '51.

Opinion section: Torchie I've been studying the chops for you and come up with a plan. It's got to be a slanty chop, two inches more in the back than the front. This usually looks better on 50's cars anyway, but especially on a Mopar.

When I owned this '49 people used to ask if I was going to chop it. I'd tell them it is already chopped. You could say that is too subtle of a chop.

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 35

Latest posts

Back