Skip's 39 Ford PU. How it happened

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to hear about some progress on the truck, Skip. Sometimes we all need a little push.....
Don't freak about the eye shots. I have been getting them for a few years. They do help as at my last visit my Dr told me that it was my 1 year anniversary since the last time he had to shoot me.:eek: [ddd
You may experience some blood in the whites of your eye afterwards , and that kind of weirds people out. The ones that will have the nerve to ask you what happened to your eye will really freak when you tell them that a DR stuck needles in your eye.:eek::D [ddd :cool:
Torchie

Thank you to all of you. I'm pretty sure the DMV will be the greater ordeal. It will be good to be on the other side of, "Oh. That's not really all that bad.", so I can get back to fun stuff. :D

Time to get real.

I've been draggin' my feet with this truck all summer. I had lots of fun, and a few sorrows building it, but by far it was fun. But... Can't get up enough interest to mess with it now that I know I can't happily drive it. It just doesn't fit. So, onto Craigslist it just went. We'll see what happens.

I have two more projects in the yard, that sound like fun. I'll keep y'all posted. A new build thread will be starting as soon as this is out of the shop.

Advice please. I'm a big boy, I can take it.

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/d/portland-39-ford-pu-ratrod/6982242644.html

Almost a month on CL and not even a nibble.

When I started this, I told myself no changes to parts as they turn up. So, I have a blue cab, green bed, yellow fenders, White grill surround, and army green grill. I did get rid of the green house paint on the hood. Anyway... I'm open to suggestions.

• Would a case of flat black Rust-Oleum make this beast more marketable?
  • Price may be a bit high for the season. What do you think?
  • I know getting the title sorted out would likely help. But, how much?
  • Is something missing in the ad? Too much information?

I would work on the paint job. I think even a rattlecan job would help and make it look a little more finished, most people have very little imagination! Just my .02 for what it's worth! :D

Toad

in order of importance:

title. this will scare off 90% of buyers. you know what it takes, so take the risk and do it.

running condition. does it run and drive? if so, say so, and get pictures of it somewhere other than rolled out of the garage. if not, what does it need? get better pictures anyway.

pictures. have I mentioned better pictures? its fall now, even if you just roll it into the yard with leaves all around and take the pictures from a high angle (take a step stool, stand on it far enough away from the corners to get the whole truck in the shot) it will be better than what you have.

paint. if you are going to rattle can it black best leave that to the buyer, nothing polarizes me more than the "one flat color" everyone paints their projects.

description: be bright, be brief, be gone. list the mods in order, then the extras that are included. you start out with a negative, that may be how you feel, but starting with a positive like "ready to move this one on to a new owner" is so much better than self loathing haha.

price. I think you are right on the bubble for where its at in completion. think about the people who can buy at that price point, those who have 15k just sitting around to spend. what will they want? done and sorted? could be you finish more things and ask a little more, because 15-19k isnt a lot of difference to those guys. the guys that want an unfinished truck are more in the 8-12k range, and usually have a motorcycle or a boat or another impulse buy sitting around to trade.

the 39 is a love it or hate it grille. you cant get around that. but my car salesman friends says " there is an ass for every seat ".

unfortunately it is a matter of getting the right guy to see it. I do CL, facebook, and ebay. your truck is amazing to me because I know what it took to get there. it hits all the right buttons.

in order of importance:

title. this will scare off 90% of buyers. you know what it takes, so take the risk and do it.

running condition. does it run and drive? if so, say so, and get pictures of it somewhere other than rolled out of the garage. if not, what does it need? get better pictures anyway.

pictures. have I mentioned better pictures? its fall now, even if you just roll it into the yard with leaves all around and take the pictures from a high angle (take a step stool, stand on it far enough away from the corners to get the whole truck in the shot) it will be better than what you have.

paint. if you are going to rattle can it black best leave that to the buyer, nothing polarizes me more than the "one flat color" everyone paints their projects.

description: be bright, be brief, be gone. list the mods in order, then the extras that are included. you start out with a negative, that may be how you feel, but starting with a positive like "ready to move this one on to a new owner" is so much better than self loathing haha.

price. I think you are right on the bubble for where its at in completion. think about the people who can buy at that price point, those who have 15k just sitting around to spend. what will they want? done and sorted? could be you finish more things and ask a little more, because 15-19k isnt a lot of difference to those guys. the guys that want an unfinished truck are more in the 8-12k range, and usually have a motorcycle or a boat or another impulse buy sitting around to trade.

the 39 is a love it or hate it grille. you cant get around that. but my car salesman friends says " there is an ass for every seat ".

unfortunately it is a matter of getting the right guy to see it. I do CL, facebook, and ebay. your truck is amazing to me because I know what it took to get there. it hits all the right buttons.

I agree with joedoh.
For that price I would expect it to be titled and know that it is a running ,driving truck.
Keep the ad as short and sweet as possible. Most people don't even bother to read it all.
I wouldn't worry about the color.

Keep at it. I took down my FB market place ad for my daily driver as I got tired of all the people wanting me to give it to them. Got a message yesterday from someone that contacted me earlier and they claim to be coming out to see it today.
So we will see.
Good luck, brother.
Torchie

I don't know what the prices are in your area, but it seems a high to me just as it appears in the ad. Of course we know it's further along than it looks, but the ad doesn't really show that. Honestly, bolt the most parts onto it that you can (with the least amount of effort). Parts on the truck in photos are worth more than parts you say you have, to me. If you have hood sides, put them on, if you can easily make some mounts for the seat, put one in, if you can build or have filler pans for the bed to running boards do that, etc. The more complete it appears, the more likely someone will want to buy it.

I'd put glass in it too, personally. It makes it look more complete and ready. And like Joe said better pictures and get the title sorted out. You talk about the bed floor but don't show it, you say there's a Painless harness but don't say the wiring is completed, etc.

The more complete and ready to drive it appears to be, the more you'll get for it and more interested buyers you'll get.

Thank you, my friends. Title, better pics, better color scheme, and an attitude adjustment (for me). I'll get to working on all that. Maybe a vid of it making noise, too. If I wasn't so close to this project, I'd have known all this. Right? :D I guess I did, because I agree with it.

Still accepting input form anyone else that has a thought. Please.

I'll pile on...

Do something with the yellow fenders. They stand out like a sore tit. The more you make it look "hop in and drive away", the more appealing to the masses and small minds with no imaginations.

Find a better backdrop and shoot a wad of pictures. Think magazine shoot. The less it looks like an abandoned project, the better.

Latest posts

Back