A Box For The Binder

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob w

Still crazy after all these years!
Last week I asked if I should put a short box on my International. Most everyone said yes. Well, I did it.

2008_0528box0002.jpg

Here's the truck last week.

2008_0607box0004.jpg

I had to make 160 holes, but I'm pretty happy with the result. Now, I'm trying to come up with a drop in "trunk" for if I ever travel more than 10 miles from home. One idea is to get a tool cabinet with drawers and gut it so it will hold stuff. I'd leave the drawer fronts so it looks like it is still a tool box. Any other ideas?

It took 20 pounds of steel at 50 cents a pound. For 10 bucks and probably 15 hours of labor I changed the looks of the Cornbinder.

Last edited:
24dodge, That's a great idea. And, I live in the East Metro area. I would have to 'resize' it a bit.

The old trunk seems like it might be a bit tall. How about a metal or wood box that looks like a large suit case? Maybe covered with burlap with stripes painted on like a '40's vintage. You should be able to find one in one of the shops there in town to steal the latches and other hardware off of. if you start at the north end of town, I would think you'd find one before you got to the old Ford garage.

Ron

Nice truck!

Bob,
I really like it with the bed, turned out really cool! How many miles you got on it now? :D

Rattler

Like you said, Youngster, I tried an old (1920's) accessory trunk and it was too tall. If I go this route I will have to cut one down quite a bit.

Rattler, I got this thing together last year in June. Drove it to a few local cruises. I changed the steering set up a couple times. Then winter arrived. So, I probably have less than 500 miles on it. This spring I have been driving my '38 Dodge truck because it has a heater, defrosters and windows. We have only had a couple nice days so far.

try an ammo box or foot locker , it would probably be easier to make one to fit the truck

Attachments

• e281_1.jpg
    e281_1.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 27
  • da7b_1.jpg
    da7b_1.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 32
Hey Bob, I've got an old foot locker if you want it. My brother lives in Lake Elmo. He's coming down To Owatonna this Sunday for the Albert Lea doin's. I' could send it back with him if you're interested.

Ron

Latest posts

Back