Leaf spring length

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vintageT

Banned
Hello yall!

Been a while since i've posted on here, but I am making some progress as of late. Which brings me to my question.... How do I determine how long of a spring I need?

I have split my 37 wishbones, and got some Speedway 5 degree hangers. I have approximately 36" between the bones where I want the spring, once I put in the hangers I will be down to 33 1/2". Somewhere in my garage I have the standard 1 3/4" shackles that came from speedway about 15 years ago. How long of a spring do I need?

My mounting location is not set in stone yet, that is why the "approximately" above... I have wiggle room.

Here you go...

how-to-measure-for-sping.jpg

You want about 5 inches difference between the perch holes and the spring width, so that would put you at about 28.5. A 29 is the closest you can get off the shelf, and that would work ok.

Don

Thanks

Thanks for the info... I did some measuring and with my shackles in place it looks like I need a 31" spring. Also called speedway motors and they confirmed. I was hoping to somehow get away with their 26" spring, that says it has an installed width of 31", but apparently not.

Thank you all! My front end parts will be in on Saturday!

Latest posts

Back