Future Undead Sled Daily Driver

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redidbull

I have a 2002 Dakota as my daily driver. I noticed today that the body mounts are rusted out. When I buy a vehicle I like to drive it until it has zero life in it and repair it mostly myself until the end. I am sure I am not the only one. Cars are so expensive I don't mind spending the money to fix it. These cab mounts are not available. I would need to fab something up and I am always up for the challenge. My Wife however says to get rid of it. it has 150K on it and runs fine. I put maybe 7500 a year on it and it is mine. I did stuff to personalize it. How do you guys/gals handle your daily drivers? Do you drive new vehicles or do you keep your future sleds going? Thanks. Jim

it has 150K on it and runs fine. I put maybe 7500 a year on it and it is mine. I did stuff to personalize it. How do you guys/gals handle your daily drivers? Do you drive new vehicles or do you keep your future sleds going? Thanks. Jim

It's just getting broken in! :D

Toad

I drive them, drive them, drive them and then drive them some more! 150k, that ain't nothing! :eek:

Zipper

We drive ours until they're not worth giving away.
I'm the worst nightmare to companies giving (as long as you own your vehicle warranties) [ddd

Most of my vehicles start out with over 100,000 miles on them, I can't afford new ones, not even on payments! I've bought new in the past, when 48 months was considered a long loan term, that's middle of the road now, I think some people have what now, 6, or 7 year loans? Not for me. I usually pay cash and drive one two or four years and then do it again. Wife's previous Expedition we put 125,000 on, had about that on it when we got it, got three years out of it and was still in good shape when it got rear ended and totaled out. I figured it up, we gave $3500 for it, had front end rebuilt for $800, put two sets of tires on it for around $800, and normal service every 3,000 miles, and still got $3000 for it from the insurance company 3 years later! Might say we drove it for $700 a year plus normal expenditures for those 3 years.

I did finance my current pickup for three years, but I also depreciate it out on my taxes for those three years as a business vehicle, so I basically get it for free! Better my money goes for something I need instead of going to the Govt to waste on spotted owls and snail darters!

If you like your pickup, either get another one for parts or fab up what you need. I've gotten to the point I'm tired of throwing away stuff that still has life in it, I can use that money elsewhere.

Get rid of something? Not sure I understand the concept.

I had a 87 f150 that became a contest for me to keep on the road while spending as little as possible. ("Had" = still have it sitting in timber)

If it's cost effective, drive it.

Get rid of something? Not sure I understand the concept.

I had a 87 f150 that became a contest for me to keep on the road while spending as little as possible. ("Had" = still have it sitting in timber)

If it's cost effective, drive it.

My original reason for heading over here is my 89 F150. http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36906 I bought it for 700 and hope to get road worthy for less than 2K.

We have 5 vehicles 3 of which are on the road. My Wife has a 2014 RAV4 which we did pay cash for. Her toy is a 2002 Mustang GT that gets put up in the winter, In the yard is the 89 F150 and our 87 Suzuki Samurai that we bought new in 1987 and did some offroading for years in it. I have been putting it back together for years. Lots of rust. I could have swapped bodies but it is a rare hard top and not easy to find. I learned alot too about how to not weld in new panels. https://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content?topic=115712.0#gsc.tab=0 My dream car is a 32 Ford couple, American Graffiti style, but I am not rich.

Thanks for the encouragement and validating I am not insane about this. I did find that the mounts are made by a company but at 100 each I may see what I can do. Thanks all. Jim

Latest posts

Back