The great skunk adventure.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sneakysnake

"There’s nothing new in originality"
Get this, I'm backed to the shop. Pulled plug on transfer case and am putting oil in. All of a sudden out of the corner of my eye I see movement, it's a skunk, we're like 3ft apart and eye to eye. I screamed jumped up to grab my pistol out of the truck, when I open the the door he's damn near between my legs. So I screamed again and run around the truck, well he goes in the shop, so now I'm thinking a 9mm in here is not good. I locate him and leave to go get the 22 with rat shot and come back. He's no where to be found but I'm afraid he's still in here. Lol and I think he sprayed my leg a little.Well about 45 min later he finally popped out from behind all the junk.It's going to be awhile before the smell gets back to normal.

Attachments

• 93482121_157248322288920_7114253918665703424_n.jpg
    93482121_157248322288920_7114253918665703424_n.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 44
We have plenty of them here in Tejas! There's on that comes around our place that stinks so bad it makes you wanna hurl! Been trying to get him in my sights for a couple years! Even tried trapping him! One day!!!

Shot one a couple years ago & the smells hung around for a couple weeks! Luckily I've never tried to pet one like you Snakeman!

BoB

hahahhaa funny story ... !!

i have absolutely no idea how bad they stink but everyone says they are bad bad bad..

I only know them from Walt Disney`s Bambi.... That one was cute... :D

was there anyone shooting a video when you were screaming and dancing...? [P[P:D

We had one spray our dog at point blank. Weird thing was it didn't smell like normal skunk. So concentrated it was an oily smell. For years after when she got wet you still got a hint of the smell. Jim

I ran over one in the truck a few years back. His last deed was to spray the trailer before he assumed room temperature. Even after washing and steam cleaning that trailer, every time it got wet it smelled!

LOL
All of the above about skunk smell is pretty much true.:eek:[ddd
Back in my black powder shooting days I had a friend that had a Skunk skin cap made. (Think of Davey Crocketts coon skin cap.) Every time he wore it and it rained it STUNK.:eek:
I was skunked once from about 3 feet away. Out walking behind my Hunting dog when he got all "Birdie." By the time I realized it was a skunk Trouble, 9Yes that was the dogs name.[ddd) had done what he liked to do best to cats. Stuck his big old nose right up the skunks butt. I couldn't shoo the skunk as the dog was too close.
I can only discribe the event as what I imagine it is like to get "tear gassed."
Couldn't see. Couldn't breathe.
I had to burn my clothes. And after several scrubbing's with a very mild bleach and water solution ( Vets advice. I used tomato juice on his head and muzzle) Trouble was self quarentined to live in the wood shed for a week. But..... Every time he got wet.......:eek:[ddd :D
The things that pass for fun when you are young.
Torchie

Things are still plenty ripe around here, I guess he got my truck too drove most of the day with the window rolled down. lol

OK, I have a skunk story, too.

Long time ago, I had a cat. I got tired of cleaning cat boxes, so I moved the box out on the front porch, and installed a cat door. Basically a 4x6 hole in the door. Big enough for a cat, but not most of the neighborhood dogs. Eventually, he figured out that the cat box was not necessary, and all was right with the world. Well, one evening I was stretched out on the couch reading a book and I heard a bit of noise at the cat door. Didn't think much of it, just figured Sly had gone out to use the facilities. Then I noticed that Sly was curled up at my feet. So, brave defender of the home front that I was, I leaned over the end of the couch to see what was going on. There was the black nose of the neighbor's little dog poking through the opening. That little beast wasn't usually out, but he was an annoying little ****. So, I reached over the back of the couch and smacked the little ****er with my paperback. Then I stretched over the back of the couch and looked out the cat door to watch him hightail it home. What I saw, less than three feet from my face was the biggest black and white tail I ever saw in my life. It was pointed straight up over two stubby legs and you know what was in the middle of that silhouette. I have no idea why I didn't get a point-blank shot straight in the face. But he just trotted off like nothing was amiss.

Some months later, I had my second encounter with what appeared to be the same skunk. I rolled up to my house in the wee small hours after an evening of illicit indulgences, and there he was sitting on the path to my front door. He had pulled a box if stale Grape nuts out of the trash and was having himself a snack. I looked at him. He looked at me. I reached for my Blackhawk 45 Colt. He went back to eating his snack. I decided that discharging a Blackhawk was likely unwise. So, I waited while he snacked. Eventually, he looked up at me again and finally trotted off.

I'll always wonder if he was once domesticated, or if he was just a good neighbor.

Who woulda thought... a thread on skunk stories. Love it!

Mine is a bit different. Around 5th grade or so, a neighbor kid and I captured a skunk in a box trap. I had the bright idea to deodorize him and then make a pet out of him.
What could go wrong, eh? It was a "Hold my Orange Crush" moment.

My friend's dad owned a drug store so we got some ether. Got the little feller sedated. All I knew was what end to operate on. With my trusty Xacto knife I began the delicate operation. The patient died on the table. I smelled so bad for so long I got used to it.

There was sparse attendance at the funeral and I decided to not pursue a medical career.

Skip, they do make good pets if you get them deodorized. I knew a truck driver that kept one in his truck all the time, it was like a cat, no noticeable smell at all. He said he had raised it from a baby he found while hunting, had a vet cut off the stink machine. That little critter loved to ride up on the dash, looking out the windshield. He said when he had to go in the scalehouses, the DOT didn’t bother him!

Thanks for stirring up that memory, I haven’t thought of that old boy in a long time. Like a lot of drivers, he was a restless soul, and changed companies pretty often, and I lost track of him, haven’t seen him in years now.

Skip, they do make good pets if you get them deodorized. I knew a truck driver that kept one in his truck all the time, it was like a cat, no noticeable smell at all. He said he had raised it from a baby he found while hunting, had a vet cut off the stink machine. That little critter loved to ride up on the dash, looking out the windshield. He said when he had to go in the scalehouses, the DOT didn’t bother him!

Thanks for stirring up that memory, I haven’t thought of that old boy in a long time. Like a lot of drivers, he was a restless soul, and changed companies pretty often, and I lost track of him, haven’t seen him in years now.

All good stories, but it's hard to beat Torchie's buddy wearing a skunk on his head.

LOL. Bama.
The same guy that wore the skunk cap also had a deoderized one as a pet. Of course the pet skunks name was "Stinky". We be over at their house and there would be a skunk wandering around inside. Just plain strange as far as I was concerned.[S
Crank.
My friend with the cap and the skunk for a pet was named, Pepper.
I asked him once what Stinky thought of seeing him walk around with stinky's dead Grand pa on his head. Pepper looked at me and said, "I never thought of it that way before.":eek::p
You can't make this S#&* up. LOL
Not a skunk, but a pic of me way back when with a Fox pelt on my head.
Torchie

Attachments

• 1915987_1400521653844_138404_n.jpg
    1915987_1400521653844_138404_n.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 34
I've got one more skunk story. About ten years ago we had two red squirrels running up and down the screens on the windows and sliding door screen. I shot one of them but the other figured out that it wasn't a good idea to stick around when I would open the door. My oldest daughter was about 12 at the time. She wanted to get rid of the squirrel problem in the worst way. She decided to use a small live trap and some crackers with peanut butter for bait. We set it up on the front door step. We didn't catch the squirrel during the day and forgot about it. That night about 10 o'clock I hear the door snap shut. You guessed it. We caught a skunk. My wife and daughters were horrified and didn't know what to do. I remembered that my great uncle used to put a blanket over the trap and slip a pipe connected to the tail pipe of his truck under the blanket. I had to talk my wife into letting me use her car because I thought the racket from the Cummins in my truck would result in the skunk spraying. It worked, sort of. I wanted to make sure he was dead and figured I'd dunk him in a water. Well this is where it get scary. The trap wouldn't fit in the barrel I had filled with water. I dumped out of the trap and into the water. That was when he woke up. I had to hold him under with the pipe till the bubbles stopped. Didn't get sprayed.

Latest posts

Back