New project? Maybe?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacksheep

Picked up this ,I believe to be around 1940 model car frame with flathead v8 and fairly complete rear end. It also has a tranny , that looks to be column shift. Maybe new project.

Attachments

• 0920201434.jpg
    0920201434.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 49
[cl :D :cool: :cool:
If you look along the DS rail top around near the front cross member you may be able to find the frame number which will give you the year of the frame. It is also stamped on the DS frame top about where the drivers door would be and at the back over the kick up.
Ford went to column shifts in 40 along with hydraulic brakes.
[P [P [P
Torchie

Good info Torchie. Im pulking the heads in the morning to see if the motor is really any good, or worth messing with. Always wanted to build a RPU with a flathead v8

Got the motor pulled , and am in the process of fetting thw pistons out. The motor was locked up tighter than a drum. Good thing is that all cylinders are sleeved from the factory. So, it may be a matter of getting thw sleeves out and finding oversized pistons. Small steps right now though

Well, after tearing the motor down, I found a few cracks on the surface of the block where the oil pan lip seals up. Anyone ever seen anything,like that?

Attachments

• 0923201006d.jpg
    0923201006d.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 16
That frame looks like it dates somewhere between 1940 and 48. Post more pictures and we might be able to ID it better for you. 1939 was last year for floor shift and this one is column shift.

For comparison, here are a couple of pictures of a 46-48 frame we have.

Attachments

• 46 stripped down completely 008_zpsszcrpp8o.jpg
    46 stripped down completely 008_zpsszcrpp8o.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 46 stripped down completely 016_zpsgjb2fctd.jpg
    46 stripped down completely 016_zpsgjb2fctd.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 10
Well, after tearing the motor down, I found a few cracks on the surface of the block where the oil pan lip seals up. Anyone ever seen anything,like that?

I'm not a flattie guy by any means but when you see how they cast those blocks... nothing surprises me! I've seen where people injected epoxy in cracks like that, sort of like they do to cracks in concrete but surely some of the flattie guys will chip in!

BoB

I understand flathead blocks are known to crack in several areas, but have no idea what's critical and what is not. [S I also understand you can build two small blocks for the same money, but I'll never know.

MercuryMac is the only flathead freak I can think of, maybe he'll chime in...

From a reformed flathead guy.
I have seen cracks like that before. Sometimes they are repairable.
The main areas for cracks are on the surface of the block between the valves.
I've known guys that went through 4-5 blocks just to find one that is rebuildable.
What number is stamped on the heads? Although some of the heads from different years were inter changable.
IF you do go to rebuild this one make sure your machine shop has a way to REALLY clean out the block.
I have seen blocks where almost a cup of Rouge factory casting sand has come out of them still after 80 years.
A machinest skilled in flatheads is a must. This isn't a SBC. :eek: :D
Stock you are looking at a whopping 95 hp.
Here is a good primer on your basic Flat head stuff.
http://www.45cui.com/45cui/tech/ford-flathead-engine-identification-part
Mac Van Pelt is a excellent source of parts and info.
Torchie

I've been lucky and not seen these pan rail cracks, but I've talked to guys who have had to do with them. The cracks come from not draining all of the water out of the block in the winter, [maybe because of the casting sand still in there, or the vehicle on a bit of a slant when draining]. They should be easier to fix with epoxy because there is no extreme heat or pressure at the bottom of the block.
I vote for fixing up the flathead, because 95 horsepower is adequate for driving, and flatties are a way cooler than a SBC. Installing a SBC in your hotrod will make you feel like a hung-over ex-virgin the next morning. You might be slightly suicidal.

I understand flathead blocks are known to crack in several areas, but have no idea what's critical and what is not. [S I also understand you can build two small blocks for the same money, but I'll never know.

MercuryMac is the only flathead freak I can think of, maybe he'll chime in...

Same with other engines too, Doc, like Oldsmobiles. I gave up on the 394 Olds I was going to use in my rpu because I had a fortune in it and it still needed rebuilt a second time. SBC may be belly button engines, but they sure give a lot of bang for the buck.

I vote for fixing up the flathead, because 95 horsepower is adequate for driving, and flatties are a way cooler than a SBC. Installing a SBC in your hotrod will make you feel like a hung-over ex-virgin the next morning. You might be slightly suicidal.

Don't have a coronary, Mac. I like a Ford in a Ford, a Chevy in a Chevy and a Mopar in Mopar. I was only saying, you can build a cool straight six Ford or a small block Ford with far less money and aggravation.

Same with other engines too, Doc, like Oldsmobiles. I gave up on the 394 Olds I was going to use in my rpu because I had a fortune in it and it still needed rebuilt a second time. SBC may be belly button engines, but they sure give a lot of bang for the buck.

I remember your Olds story and I'm sure you'll agree... builders for vintage engines are getting harder and harder to come by and some of them don't know what they're doing, but they're all professional invoice writers! :eek:

Well, I rebuilt scores of 4 cyl Ford flatheads in tractors. Lapped valves, and complete overhaul. So, flathead technoligy is nothong new to me. And, I wouldnt be looking to try and make a rocket out of it. I know these motor's capabilities. Gonna keep diggin into this motor .

I kinda' havta' agree with you Doc on being brand specific, engine to body; and efficiency is down a wee bit in the flathead, both in power and rebuilding cost. It was the 'cool factor' I was concerned with. You have to admit that a flathead will look great in any hotrod.

Latest posts

Back