That Little Ol' Band From Texas

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That lil ol band from Texas is from Houston & I saw them when they were The Moving Sidewalks & ZZ Top many, many times! After the Sidewalks' organ player Lanier Greig got drafted, the drummer Dan Mitchell moved on & ZZ Top formed in it's current lineup! Gibbons was an incredible guitar player even in his teens & opened for Hendrix in Hawaii & opened for the Doors in Houston & became the 1st Houston band to ever get a standing ovation in the Sam Houston Coliseum during that concert! Billy G has always acknowledged the people that came before him or people he "lifted" stuff from! Check this song about "Lightnin'" Hopkins' drummer Robert “Skin Man” Murphy! Murphy's wife always made him a pork chop sandwich that he kept on his drum kit. ZZ even had Murphy in the studio when they recorded it!

Poke Chop Sandwich

I break my day up with alarms on my phone & this song is my noon alarm... haha!

BoB

Looks like that's gonna be on my list now. I just started turning on the TV again after about 3 years. I liked their pre-Eliminator stuff the best.

Looks like that's gonna be on my list now. I just started turning on the TV again after about 3 years. I liked their pre-Eliminator stuff the best.

As do I, Sam. Pre MTV....:D
I do respect how they have managed to stick around so long though. That kind of career in Music is a lot rarer then people think.
Same with Kenny Rogers, who passed away this morning. I always liked the 'First Edition" but he lost me when he went solo with the middle of the road cross over stuff.
But who am I to judge. I played for 51 years and nobodies ever heard of me vs Kenny's 60 plus years.:D
Torchie

Thanks for the tip Doc. My wife and I watched it last night and really enjoyed it. I'd been a big fan for years anyway - saw them once in Toronto long time ago, Cheap Sunglasses tour I think it was.

Thanks for the tip. I've got netflix but seldom ever watch it. I first met these guys in a jail holding cell in San Angelo, Texas back in the late sixties or early seventies. Police said we were having too much fun. LOL! Did 4 hours and were released.

Got to shake their hands once after a concert, Saw them in 2010 with Tom Petty after Joe Cocker canceled. Got to see them again this New Years when they came to Okla. on their 50yr anniversary tour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGW4qMUysAQ

Attachments

• 20191231_201418.jpg
    20191231_201418.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 6

Latest posts

Back