48 F1 LinkFord project

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Afew photos of the truck. Added some small punched plate with chrome powder coat over it. The drivers side is on a hinge ,so I can get to my fabricated hood latch.

0521181622.jpg

0523180718a.jpg

0523180718.jpg

Pulled the truck out and decided it needs some lowering done. Gonna look at my options, and get it down a little . I also got the pintstripe brush out and did the letters on the tail gate.

0529180858a.jpg

0525180955.jpg

So, tried to check out the ol Ford the other day. Cranked her up, and went for a little spin around the block. Then, decided to take her for about a ten mile cruise to check things out. That didn't go so well. Evedently, my aluminum aftermarket fuel tank that was in the truck when I bought it, still had some varnished fuel in it. Once I got it back to the shop, I pulled the tank, and using a pump sprayer, shot aluminum brightener inside the whole tank , along with a couple of big nuts to knock that crap loose. Now, the tank looks like new on the inside. I hooked everything back up, then went around the block a few times to let the thermostat open up. Got back to the shop , shut her down and when I went to crank it back up, she went er...er er..click click. Dangit. Long story short, the 460 Fords are bad about eating starters. They are so big , and so close to the exhaust manifold, it (heat) just eats them right up. I called my my local auto parts and they had a starter for a 96 model F250. The newer starters are gear reduction , and use magnets instead of windings in the field. I installed the new starter on the truck, and now she starts with a half of a turn, even hot. I went through the same thing on the Fairlane. Got my seat belt in, and will be installing them today.

The hi torque small starters are the only way to go. I use the 4.3 Chevy starter on everything I put Chevy engines in.
The old starters had to have a lot bigger cables on them or they wouldn't work when hot.

Well, now onto another issue. It seems that I am running a little hot after driving for 20 minutes. Temp goes up to around 205 , and I think it should be cooler than that. One thing is, the truck has a radiator ,what looks to be out of a larger older F series truck. Maybe F2 ? I may need a 4 row radiator. Also going to install a mid 90's Taurus fan. Right now it utilizes twin fans from a diesel Mercedes. That is what was in the truck when I bought it. They blow a lot of air, but they are set up as pusher fans and not pullers. I made an airtight seal, but I still think the radiator is too small. Any thoughts?

Latest posts

Back