Edelbrock E-Street Heads

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

railroad

I have a new set of the Edelbrock E-Street heads. Recently some problems have been reported with valve spring breakage. Obviously, these are with the heads that are being used. Mine are still on the shelf. Edelbrock advertises these heads as bolt on performance heads for 289, 302 and 351 engines. The instructions and advertising do state that they are for 550 lift or less, 5500 max rpm. By these limitations, you can surmize they are not high performance, but for street use. After reading about the problems on the Corral web site, I contacted Edelbrock tech. Once we confirmed the valve spring breakage did occur, I was informed it was due to the owner running a hyd roller lifter with the heads. With ads and instructions in my hand, I read them to the tech. His comment was that Edelbrock meant the heads had to be run with hyd flat tappet only. NO WHERE in the advertisements or the instuctions are there any limitations on what lifters to use. I asked if they had an upgraded spring that could be used, NO. I asked him, where that left me. I was advised, I could machine out the spring seat, install larger springs and retainers, like that is an option. I told him, I could have bought AFR and would not have to do that. He did not want to take my name and number in the event Edelbrock wants to correct the bad parts put on the heads. After almost insisting he did take the information. We all know what that was worth. Be advised this condition exist and how it is being handled. So far my only option is the LSX springs as listed on the Corral thread, about $250.

Last edited:
When I was building the 331 stroker for my 27 I ordered a set of E Street heads for it. That night, after placing the order, it struck me that nowhere in the Summit or Jegs write up did it say "For use with roller cam engines". My engine IS a roller cam engine. So the next day I called Edelbrock and they said they are for flat tappet cam motors ONLY. :eek:

I called Summit and they shipped me a set of Edelbrock Performer RPM heads and I had to refuse the E Streets when they showed up. The RPM's ARE made for roller cam engines, and I have been extremely happy with them.

Don

Just got off the phone with Dave from Edelbrock. Dave said the E Street head springs ARE compatable with hyd roller cams. The limitations are the 550 lift and 5500 rpm. The seat pressure is 125, max lift pressure 325 and installed height is 1.75. Apparently these limits have no margin of error. I was surprised and appreciated Edelbrock calling back on the situation, but I have no confidence in the springs and will change them before putting the heads on. Being realistic about this, I doubt there is a street performance engine out there that will not see more than 5500 rpm. These heads are probably best suited for a stock engine replacement in a pickup or stock 5.0 motor. I am really torn between selling the heads and going with a different brand or upgrading the springs and valves. Edelbrock does not have a spring upgrade for this head. This head would definitely be better bought bare.

That's odd, because when I called Edelbrock they said just the opposite, that they were not to be used with roller cams at all. :confused: In fact, when I called Summit back to try to cancel the order (too late it was shipped already) the tech guy said there was a message on his computer for that item saying not for roller cams also.

It doesn't matter, my X303 cam has .542 lift anyways and it will buzz 6500 rpms, so I needed the RPM heads.

Don

Sounds like the typical PR people using the CYA politics, instead of making it right. The heads may be good for something, but.
You did good.

Just to provide a solution to others, Mike informed me K Motion K-750 springs would fit and upgrade. Just trial fitted one on the heads. Drop in solution. $130 from Summit Racing. A really good spring too. Worth checking into for upgrading.

Latest posts

Back