SBC Gilmer Belt Drive

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgbrktracer

What do you guys think of the Gilmer belt drive kits on the market. Thinking about one for my project but can't decide. Kinda like the look and sound but not sure about reliability. Need your opions please.

Yes ,I have been looking at those also. Would also like to know more about them.

Wonder?

Ratdog, looks light nobody wants to post a reply. You think maybe the SILENCE is telling us something?

I've got a bid on one at the moment, should know in a couple of days how that goes. Have used a cog belt drive for the prop reduction on my homebuilt plane when I was still into that stuff. 3 points to keep in mind if you go this route, pulleys have to in alignment, and all pulleys have to be true to each other. The crank and water pump should be ok, it will be the alt and brackets that can be cocked off and pulled out of whack especially when the belt is tighted. If out of whack the belt just walks off the pulleys and gets cut on the pulley edge. The third point is don't over tighten the belt, just take out the slack. The belt will tighten more as the pulleys heat up and expand. Here's some pictures of the home brew belt reduction I had on the plane.

Attachments

• Drive.jpg
    Drive.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 29
  • Prop and drive.jpg
    Prop and drive.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Hand Prop.jpg
    Hand Prop.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Running.jpg
    Running.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 23
Im runnung one . I like it but ive done broke a belt on it so now I carry a back up. Not sure why it broke I had it fairly tight but didnt want to hurt the alt bearings so far the new belt has done fine.

Attachments

• motor2.jpg
    motor2.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 27
I have a Pro Comp Gilmer belt drive bought, and on the way, generally takes 10 to 14 days from the States. Canada customs of course have to wave their magic wand at it and charge for that service as well. Let you know what I think when it gets here. From pictures I've seen, looks like the belt/pulleys have a square tooth design and a fine pitch. Figure that's where the whine is produced from. The reduction system I used on the plane was a round tooth design on a 8mm or 5/16th pitch. The Pirelli belt 'teeth' had a relief groove moulded across the tooth tip to let the air escape so it would less apt to float on a cushion of air at high speeds. Not sure how these are made, guess I'm going to find out. :) I'll let you know.

BTW, The kit I ordered from jegs comes with a "1 size fits all" belt and the adjuster was to short and I wound up having to buy a longer one.

Attachments

• motor2.jpg
    motor2.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 16
Yeah, I half expect I'll need to custom fit the alt brackets and what not, so it will work. I was back and forth with the seller before buying, getting as much info as I could. They didn't have a kit for the long pump SBC (which I need), but did have one for the short version. From the pictures and info I could find, it looked to be just a spacer on the crank pulley that got things lined up. That in itself isn't a problem, I can spin one up on the lathe quick enough to make it all work out. But, the answer to the spacer question from them was a bit confusing though. I was told the crank pulley for the short and long SBC water pumps where definitely different. (different part numbers, not that hard to fathom). While the BBC and the SBF are identical kits and will fit the SBC. Explains the multiple hole patterns in the crank pulley, makes them a universal fit, same as with the duel hole pattern in the water pump pulley. I did know before hand the SBC and the BBC kits were the same, and could be interchanged, because of the multi hole patterns. It was just the long and short pumps that make the difference. Just to add a bit more confusion, the Big Block Chev and the Small Block Ford are both listed as long pump versions. Soooooo...... is the long pump SBC the same kit??? I'll find out, because I bought the BBC kit in hope I won't have to machine the pieces. God I love having a lathe, I'm likely going to need it. And, I was told all kits come with a 40.5 inch long belt as a standard size. So all the various prices, for the 'various kits', could be a bit of a ruse if they turn out to be a universal fit. Now...I wouldn't take all this as gospel just yet, I haven't had a chance to find out for myself, so I can verify it all. Anyhow, that's what I have been told/found out to date. As mentioned in an earlier post, I'll let you know what I find. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back