Most reliable electric fuel pump?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

440Clark

What do you think is the most reliable electric fuel pump? I've had Holley blues that started leaking in less than one season (back in the day, not sure how they are now) I put a Mallory 140 on my car, that went one season and started leaking over the winter storage. I realize with todays blends it's a challenge, but has anyone used an electric pump that hasn't started leaking on them?

What do you think is the most reliable electric fuel pump? I've had Holley blues that started leaking in less than one season (back in the day, not sure how they are now) I put a Mallory 140 on my car, that went one season and started leaking over the winter storage. I realize with todays blends it's a challenge, but has anyone used an electric pump that hasn't started leaking on them?

I've got an Aeromotive pump on my 81 Chevy truck, its been on there 2 years so far with no leaks..

I've always run Holleys and they have been reliable but noisy as hell. I had the same one in my Jeep pickup for 5 years and it worked great but people riding with me asked what the compressor was running for. :eek:

I recently went to a Carter electric pump on my 27 as it only has 6 PSI pressure and I needed no regulator. My Son is running the same pump but with a regulator dialed down to 3 PSI. It has been good too.

The one secret to electric pump life is a GOOD filter BEFORE the pump. Not all filters are acceptable as they constrict the flow too much and overwork the pump. There are some filters that are made exclusively for electric pump use.

Some guys also run a return line so the fuel flow doesn't deadhead into the carb. It allows the unneeded fuel to return to the tank and circulate. I have never run one like that but some people swear by them.

Don

I always run a filter before the pump and one before the carb.
I always run a return style fuel system.
My beef is not with pump failure.
My beef is they leak. Yeah, they are easy to fix once you order the kit, but I don't want to fix it. For once I want to buy one and forget about it.

Don, I've also found if you cut out a piece of rubber, like from those 1/2" thick floor mats and use it as a mounting gasket, it tends to quiet them down a bit.

Trust me, I'll use a good mechanical everytime when I have a choice.

This is all good, keep it coming!!!

You should never have a filter before the pump, only a screen.

Not so. There are filters made expressly for using before electric pumps. I guess technically they could be called a screen because they don't have the paper type element inside like regular filters, but Carter and everybody else calls them a filter.

Here is the one we are both running.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Mallory/650/3140/10002/-1

Don

That's the same one I'm running with the comp 140 pump. With the Holley's I've alway's used the big Fram HP's.

I just pulled a Holley blue from the bottom of my toolbox where it sat for the last 15 years. I hit it with 12v-nothing. Pulled it apart, polished the rust off the vanes and rotor, put it back together and Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Hope it doesn't leak![cl

Not so. There are filters made expressly for using before electric pumps. I guess technically they could be called a screen because they don't have the paper type element inside like regular filters, but Carter and everybody else calls them a filter.

Here is the one we are both running.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Mallory/650/3140/10002/-1

Don

As long as it's not a paper type element you're ok, most electric pumps are burnt out from trying to pull through paper element filters, and the closer the pump is to the fuel source the better.

You can always use an in tank fuel pump from a late model vehicle. You will need a regulator and a return as they make a lot of pressure for injectors. And they are filtered in the tank with a screen material.

Latest posts

Back